DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646813-love-death-robots-netflix-animated-anthology-david-fincher-tim-miller-3-15-19-a.html)

dex14 02-14-19 12:07 PM

Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5454e60b9e.jpg

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QiUARnClx80" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sentient dairy products, werewolf soldiers, robots gone wild, garbage monsters, cyborg bounty hunters, alien spiders and blood-thirsty demons from hell - all converge in eighteen NSFW animated stories.

Presented by Tim Miller & David Fincher.

Love Death + Robots lands on Netflix March 15th.

The 18-part series will span sci-fi, fantasy, horror and dark comedy, with episodes between 5-15 minutes long each created by different animation teams from around the world. Each will feature a unique style, from 2D to photo-real 3D CGI.

TomOpus 02-14-19 05:12 PM

Re: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19

Damn. I'm in...hard.

TomOpus 03-15-19 07:12 PM

Re: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19

This is up and I'm 6 episodes in. Pretty much as expected from the trailer. Enjoying it, so far.

dom56 03-16-19 11:26 PM

Watch the first five episodes and digging it. My favorite right now is Suits, the animations remind me of Iron Giant.

mrhan 03-17-19 10:12 AM

I binged the whole thing last night. It was really good. It felt like I just read a bunch of random issues of Heavy Metal and Epic Illustrated. There's a couple of weak ones but even they had interesting premises. The one with Topher Grace reminds me of another story that was very similar. I can't remember it though.

Jonno2006 03-18-19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13517788)
I binged the whole thing last night. It was really good. It felt like I just read a bunch of random issues of Heavy Metal and Epic Illustrated. There's a couple of weak ones but even they had interesting premises. The one with Topher Grace reminds me of another story that was very similar. I can't remember it though.

this? :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7l7zJ7NsFjY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2 03-18-19 08:12 AM

^Unsurprisingly, Futurama also did an episode like that. though The Simpsons episode was closer in spirit to the one here.

funkyryno 03-18-19 12:19 PM

I agree with the above comment that these stories very much resemble something that you'd find in Heavy Metal magazine. Watched a few random episodes last night and give it a big thumbs up.

Giantrobo 03-18-19 12:22 PM

Added this to my list but haven't watched yet. It looks amazing and kind reminds me of that MATRIX Anime from years ago. Glad people dig it.

DWilson 03-18-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13518298)
I agree with the above comment that these stories very much resemble something that you'd find in Heavy Metal magazine. Watched a few random episodes last night and give it a big thumbs up.

Fincher had been talking about a possible "Heavy Metal" reboot over ten years ago, though around 2011 Robert Rodriguez ended up with the rights. I guess LDR has grown out of that. I watched the first half Saturday night, and it's been very enjoyable, and, overall, a lot more coherent than I'd expect it to be.

mrhan 03-18-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 13518108)
this? :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7l7zJ7NsFjY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, that's it. I knew there was an episode of a series with this same premise but just couldn't recall it. Thanks. :)

I really liked the 3rd episode. The animation reminded me of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork when he started experimenting and changing up his style in The New Mutants.

Eric F 03-19-19 08:04 PM

Just finished it. Loved it. Best western adult animated anthology series ever produced. This is coming from someone who loves animation.

For me the best ones were Suits and The Secret War, which both very similar thematically. The Secret War seemed like it was straight out the Metro series of videogames. The 2D animated stuff was really good too. I quite enjoyed Zima Blue and Fish Night.
It all looked quite impressive, especially in Dolby Vision and the sound editing was fantastic.

I really hope this becomes a regular series.

DWilson 03-20-19 11:01 AM

Apparently Netflix has given the series several different playing orders, which has given rise to controversy.
https://tvline.com/2019/03/20/netfli...-on-sexuality/

Eric F 03-20-19 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13519549)
Apparently Netflix has given the series several different playing orders, which has given rise to controversy.
https://tvline.com/2019/03/20/netfli...-on-sexuality/

Once again the "TiVo thinks I'm gay" controversy rears its ugly head.

Who cares what order they run it in? It's an anthology.

melasnus 03-31-19 01:03 AM

Watched the first 3 episodes
Terrifically entertaining...I loved it.
Will watch the rest of its season. :banana:

Nick Danger 03-31-19 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13518399)
Yeah, that's it. I knew there was an episode of a series with this same premise but just couldn't recall it. Thanks. :)

I really liked the 3rd episode. The animation reminded me of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork when he started experimenting and changing up his style in The New Mutants.

It was a story written by Theodore Sturgeon in the 1941. The Simpsons episode was a parody.

http://1pezeshk.com/wp-content/pics/...phpapp02_2.pdf

james2025a 03-31-19 08:44 AM

Years ago I recall that Fincher, James Cameron and some others (can't recall off hand) were trying to get a new Heavy Metal movie or series off the ground. Guess this ended up being it in all but name. Watched them the weekend they came out and loved almost every single one. Superbly done series and really down for more in the future.

melasnus 03-31-19 09:37 AM

I haven't heard this has been renewed, but it absolutely deserves it.

Trevor 03-31-19 10:33 AM

The first episode was intense, I’ll be watching more.

csant 03-31-19 11:14 AM

This was so damn good. It left me wanting so much more.

melasnus 04-03-19 12:39 AM

The wife and I powered thru the rest of S1 tonight (she made me! :eek:).
ALL episodes were top-notch and worth every viewing minute.

Can't wait for S2. :thumbsup:

Raul3 04-05-19 06:36 PM

Interesting that they show the episodes in different order.

I've been enjoying the series, taking my time. I think I only have 3 episodes left.

My order:
1- Sonnie's Edge - really cool robots (mechs?) fights
2.- 3 robots. Love it, really funny.
3.- The Witness. Flashy. Expected ending.
4.- Suits. Campy, good.
5.- Sucker of Souls. Entertaining I guess.
6.- When the Yogurth... A lot of people like this. It was ok for me.
7.- Beyond the Aquila. Really graphic (sex). Expected ending.
8.- Good Hunting. Meh. Tried to "teach" too much.
9.- The Dump. Kind of funny.
10.- Shape shifters. They have done this before, but I really liked it.
11.- Helping hand. Really liked it.
12.- Fish night. Not really my type.
13.- Lucky 13. It was OK.
14.- Zima Blue. Not really my type.
15.- Blindspot. Tried too hard. It was ok.
Haven't watched the last 3.

DVD Josh 04-07-19 04:07 PM

Okay, Sonnie's Edge was fucking brilliant.

DWilson 04-07-19 11:54 PM

I would love to see a Blu-ray/4K collection, if only because I'd like to see a "Making of" for every single short.

DVD Josh 04-08-19 09:42 AM

What I've seen so far and my thoughts:

1- Sonnie's Edge - as above, loved it.
2.- 3 robots. Enjoyed it at first, got old quick, then the ending was dumb.
3.- The Witness. Loved the steampunk feel of it but the ending was telegraphed from the start. It was cool to see it play out though.
4.- Suits. Boring. Kept checking how long was left. Needed a bit more exposition I think to work better but was too long as it was. Also felt sort of derivative.