DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646813-love-death-robots-netflix-animated-anthology-david-fincher-tim-miller-3-15-19-a.html)

dex14 06-10-19 12:23 PM

Re: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19

Renewed: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-joins-1216997

TomOpus 06-10-19 12:52 PM

Re: Love, Death + Robots (Netflix) -- animated anthology from David Fincher & Tim Miller -- 3/15/19

Yay!

melasnus 06-11-19 01:44 AM

GOOD NEWS! :)
S1 was terrific fun.

tonyc3742 06-11-19 07:04 AM

I'll watch S2 though haven't even finished S1 yet. I haven't recommended this to anyone because it's so hit or miss.

- The farming one - loved it
- Three Robots - loved it
- The MMA fighter thing - liked it
- The Dump - fun but predictable
- Alternate history timelines - dumb
- The witness - too long and also predictable

I do like the diverse animation styles, but about half the stories I just don't care about or like.

I can totally see this being an evolution of Heavy Metal.

printerati 06-11-19 03:30 PM

The majority of these are good to great, but "Alternate Histories" is embarrassingly bad, and "Fish Night" doesn't have much going for it beyond the visuals. I'm looking forward to the second season.

jpcamb 06-12-19 08:46 AM

just could not get into this one tried two episodes and started a third but lost interest a few minutes into that one and no desire to revisit it. :(

The Questyen 06-21-19 11:47 AM

I watched through about 9 of them and their are a couple decent ones but the majority of them are mediocre. They also tend to have no endings like those SNL skits where they have a good idea but can't figure out how to end it.

Eric F 06-21-19 06:46 PM

Considering there's nothing else like this on TV I'm glad we got what we got. I see these as more art short-films, experiments. I appreciate that Netflix is allowing the producers of these shorts to express themselves. I love animation, and appreciate the effort put into these.

That said, it must take a fair amount of time to produce each short film- should be a while until we get the next one.

RichC2 06-21-19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13568395)
Considering there's nothing else like this on TV I'm glad we got what we got. I see these as more art short-films, experiments. I appreciate that Netflix is allowing the producers of these shorts to express themselves. I love animation, and appreciate the effort put into these.

That said, it must take a fair amount of time to produce each short film- should be a while until we get the next one.

Maybe. But really it's a bunch of studios doing their own thing at the same time, may not be crazy long between seasons

chowderhead 06-21-19 09:57 PM

i guess I am easy to please as I really liked these shorts. Each was interesting visually and told a short story that held my attention. i am glad to read it was renewed.

karoomba 06-26-19 12:56 PM

I want to see Todd McFarlane make a contribution. The format seems perfect for him.

Eric F 06-27-19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by karoomba (Post 13570137)
I want to see Todd McFarlane make a contribution. The format seems perfect for him.

I still want them to continue the HBO Spawn series right from where they left off...

RichC2 09-28-19 08:25 PM

Judging from a previous snl thread I don't think there are many Sturgill Simpson fans on here but if you are check out his Sound and Fury anime on Netflix, it fits in well with Love, Death and Robots - especially the first four segments, the slave one and the post credit run.

​​It's basically a loosely connected long music video, but I do hope Netflix keeps going full speed ahead with these Heavy Metal-inspired specials.

Why So Blu? 04-16-20 09:43 PM

I finally got around to his over the weekend and really enjoyed them for the most part. I favored the cyber/horror ones over the standard ones. The first one just sets it up nicely and is my favorite of them all. I also dug the aliens/farmer one, as that uses the same style animation that they used for Spiderverse.

Can't wait for season 2!

dex14 04-19-21 09:28 AM

The NSFW animated anthology returns with a vengeance. Naked giants, Christmas demons, and robots-gone-wild… Consume irresponsibly. Volume 2 coming May 14.

Presented by Tim Miller, David Fincher, Jennifer Miller, and Joshua Donen.

LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS returns with VOLUME 2 on May 14th
There apparently will be a Volume 3 in 2022.

TomOpus 04-19-21 10:38 AM

Really liked the first one. Looking forward to this.

Why So Blu? 04-19-21 11:09 AM

Noice!!!!

dom56 04-20-21 09:48 AM

Can't wait for the second season.:)

RichC2 05-15-21 05:19 PM

Bump for Season 2.

spainlinx0 05-16-21 05:30 PM

That was a giant letdown for me. There were only 8 episodes, and maybe 2 of them were standouts. Bland city.

chowderhead 05-17-21 12:24 PM

I liked them. They each told a story and were graphically different in style and tone. Netflix’s answer to short youtube videos. If I didn’t care for a short, the next one is only minutes away. i like the Snow in the Desert and the Giant beaching ones the most.

csant 05-17-21 04:31 PM

Season 1 was so much better that for me at least season 2 was nowhere as close.

Gunde 05-18-21 05:33 AM

The animation is stellar as always, but most of season 2 seems to be lacking a point. They all just ... stop.

csant 05-18-21 08:58 AM

I agree some were just weird the way they just ended.

The Infidel 05-18-21 02:24 PM

Hope they add more to this season. Weird that they had 18 in the first season and only 8 this time around.