The Walking Dead (S9E09) -- "Adaptation" -- 2/10/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S9E09) -- "Adaptation" -- 2/10/19

Old 02-14-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S9E09) -- "Adaptation" -- 2/10/19

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I wonder how they will try to tie in the movies that are in the works. Sounds like Danai Gurira is done after this season as well and will join Rick in the movies.
Michonne's leaving? If that's the case, the show's down to Carol and Daryl from the original cast. The next set of veterans are Tara, Eugene, Rosita and Gabriel (S4)... and Aaron (S5). That's a huge drop-off in show-carrying characters.

We're in S9 and it's amazing they didn't add any real depth in characters who can take over. If this were a hockey team, it would in last place and consisting of a couple over-the-hill star veterans, a few veteran 3rd liners and just a bunch of unskilled AHL players who were called up because they needed bodies.
Old 02-14-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Michonne wasn't an original character anyway. She first appeared at the end of season 2.
Old 02-14-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Regarding the Whisperers: Virtually nothing about them makes sense.

It's the Bill Cosby bit about the coin toss between the Redcoats and the Patriots at the start of the Revolutionary War all over again. Patriots, you have won the toss: Wear anything that suits you in colors that blend into the background and run around randomly shooting from behind trees, rocks, barns, haystacks, and anything else that will stop a bullet for you. British: You must wear uncomfortable suits with bright red jackets and white pants and march slowly forward out in the open in a straight line.

The Whisperers have to walk up to you to attack since the only sort of weapon they can conceal is a knife or short range gun. If they charge or become aggressive with you or begin to flee, the walkers they hide amongst will turn and begin to attack them. Set a fire and all of their camouflage will walk into it. Make some noise near a cliff and all of their camouflage will walk off of it. Those that don't are obviously Whisperers and can be easily picked off at a distance. If you move a couple hundred yards off to one side or another it will take them hours to convince the herd to circle back to you, and that assumes you stay put the entire time. They cannot carry food and water with them on these lengthy (days?) long marches without giving themselves away.

Basically, once you know they exist you can begin to exterminate them without much trouble - until of course they drop the ridiculous Whisperers shtick.
Old 02-14-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

And Daryl isn't from the comics.

I still love Jeffrey Dean Morgan's portrayal of Negan.

The Whispers have another "weapon" that you've seen them use.

I watched this one live, but will probably for the most part watch the rest of the episodes when I can (on a weekly basis).
Old 02-14-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
The Whispers have another "weapon" that you've seen them use.
Dragons?
Old 02-14-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Dragons?
I would say the way they use the walkers/horde.
Old 02-14-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I would say the way they use the walkers/horde.
Maybe they can change my mind. But a bicycle with a bell on the handlebars can lead away a walker horde. I hope it's something more than that.
Old 02-14-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Michonne wasn't an original character anyway. She first appeared at the end of season 2.
Yea, I never said she was. I was just laying out who's left from earlier on in the show and grouped them by season.
Old 02-15-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, I never said she was. I was just laying out who's left from earlier on in the show and grouped them by season.
Actually, you did imply that Michonne was part of the original cast. You said:

Originally Posted by Coral
Michonne's leaving? If that's the case, the show's down to Carol and Daryl from the original cast.
You were saying that if Michonne is leaving, then Carol and Daryl would be the only ones left from the original cast. But they're already the only originals even without Michonne leaving. Technically, they're not even original cast members since they don't show up until the 3rd episode of season 1, but they are season 1 cast members at least.
Old 02-15-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Actually, you did imply that Michonne was part of the original cast. You said:

You were saying that if Michonne is leaving, then Carol and Daryl would be the only ones left from the original cast. But they're already the only originals even without Michonne leaving. Technically, they're not even original cast members since they don't show up until the 3rd episode of season 1, but they are season 1 cast members at least.
They were 2 somewhat separate thoughts... Michonne is leaving... now we're down to (and listing all the characters and where they're from). I probably should've punctuated it better so it looked like separate thoughts.
I think I mentioned the same thing in a previous thread indicating where Michonne joined.

In any case, they've done a piss-poor job of ensuring the show adopts meaningful characters along the way. It's like after S3 or S4 they just stopped caring about making the new characters relevant (ie. see Jesus) and were just going to put their eggs in the original/early characters.