Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Miracle Workers (TBS) S: Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, Geraldine Viswanathan, Karan Soni

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Miracle Workers (TBS) S: Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, Geraldine Viswanathan, Karan Soni

Old 02-08-19, 12:42 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pBVqgz0a4Kc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2jcvU607KCM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first season of anthology series Miracle Workers is a Heaven-set workplace comedy based on Simon Rich's book What in God's Name. The show stars Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, Geraldine Viswanathan and Karan Soni. Radcliffe plays Craig, a low-level angel responsible for handling all of humanity's prayers, and Steve Buscemi plays Craig's boss God, who has pretty much checked out and is ready to move on to his next project. To prevent Earth's destruction, Craig and fellow angel Eliza (Geraldine Viswanathan) must answer a seemingly impossible prayer: help two humans fall in love. Karan Soni plays Sanjay, God's right-hand man.
First episode is available above on YouTube and On Demand.
Old 02-08-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Miracle Workers (TBS) S: Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, Geraldine Viswanathan, Karan Soni

This has potential...will check it out.
Old 02-12-19, 04:01 PM

Re: Miracle Workers (TBS) S: Daniel Radcliffe, Steve Buscemi, Geraldine Viswanathan, Karan Soni

This premieres tonight.
Old 02-12-19, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

looks really good since i first saw trailer months ago. looking forward...
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oh great, another Good Place rip off :P
Old 02-13-19, 11:20 AM

I found it pretty amusing.
Old 02-13-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was not whelmed.

was a little funny but Buscemi as god was a dud to me.

Was just meh to me.
Old 02-16-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good first episode.
Great choices of the characters....all work well in their roles.

Because of the very fanciful plot, It occured to me if the writing isn't first rate this show will sink fast.
Old 02-17-19, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoyed but in the end God still needs to be God and I am not sure they showed any God-like capability in him
Old 02-17-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I enjoyed but in the end God still needs to be God and I am not sure they showed any God-like capability in him
Huh?
Old 02-18-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts

Heís cleary not God-Above-All, i.e. thereís none above him. Thereís apparently a pantheon of some sort since Buscemiís God is shown eating lunch with his parents in the trailer. Frankly Iím needlessly anal about such things and hope this is all laid out clearly.
Old 05-15-19, 01:46 PM

Renewed: https://deadline.com/2019/05/miracle...bs-1202615196/
Old 05-17-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I missed this the first time around so hopefully the renewal means the first season will air not long before the 2nd begins. Of course, if Hulu or Netflix get it I will give it a watch.
Old 12-10-19, 01:22 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0UzF3f3ehPY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same cast, different story. Head back to a particularly bad time in history when Dark Ages, a Miracle Workers anthology starring Daniel Radcliffe and Steve Buscemi, premieres January 28, 2020 on TBS.
Old 12-19-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I liked the first season and the new story for season 2 looks like fun.
Old 01-19-20, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

The 30 minute preview they showed tonight was pretty funny. Shitshoveler is a wonderful last name.
Old 02-27-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm watching this on Hulu, on S2E3, and though it's really stupid (S2 even stupider than S1), I like it a lot and laugh multiple times an episode, as I did for S1. (Explain cows. Now explain dogs. Now explain giraffes.)
Chauncley's solution to him being too hot and the brother being too cold was hilarious.
Plus, I'm a fan of sub-10 episode, 30 minute shows.
Question: Is it shown on broadcast TV? Have broadcast TV language standards relaxed? I'm quite enjoying the show, I'm just surprised it's so prevalent on what may be a network show. Maybe it's streaming only.
Old 02-27-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
I'm watching this on Hulu, on S2E3, and though it's really stupid (S2 even stupider than S1), I like it a lot and laugh multiple times an episode, as I did for S1. (Explain cows. Now explain dogs. Now explain giraffes.)
Chauncley's solution to him being too hot and the brother being too cold was hilarious.
Plus, I'm a fan of sub-10 episode, 30 minute shows.
Question: Is it shown on broadcast TV? Have broadcast TV language standards relaxed? I'm quite enjoying the show, I'm just surprised it's so prevalent on what may be a network show. Maybe it's streaming only.
It's a cable show (TBS), and you can get away with quite a bit on advertiser-supported cable these days.

Hell, FX shows Deadpool essentially uncut.
Old 02-27-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's a cable show (TBS), and you can get away with quite a bit on advertiser-supported cable these days.

Hell, FX shows Deadpool essentially uncut.
Cable has never had any government restrictions imposed on it, since it's not "public" like OTA broadcasts are, and aren't using FCC licensed spectrum. The main thing that's held back ad-supported cable are the advertisers; historically they weren't comfortable advertising on material that some may find objectionable.

There's always been exceptions. I remember watching "Comic Relief" live specials in the 90s that were simulcast on HBO and Comedy Central, and the CC version ran without ads and with all swearing intact. South Park helped push the limits of what a "basic" cable show could get away with and still attract advertisers, especially the episode "It hits the Fan".
Old 02-27-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK cool - I had forgotten/never realized what 'tier' TBS was. I do like the show and they seem to be taking advantage of that capability, without abusing it.
I think I like the character of Ali better in S2, than the character that actress played in S1, admitting that it's early yet. I would have liked for her to say
Spoiler:
"OK, well, here's an opportunity, let's see if we can make doctoring better" instead of dragging herself down with Doc Goodman or whatever his name was.

Spoiler:
Anyway, I like the show I think I like the character of Ali better in S2 than I did the character the same actress played in S1. (Although I had hoped she would have

Old 02-27-20, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, 100% up to the advertisers, thankfully those that generally threaten to boycott advertisers are glued to other programming these days.