DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What We Do in the Shadows (FX) -- based on the film -- EP: Waititi, Clement -- premieres 3/27/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646691-what-we-do-shadows-fx-based-film-ep-waititi-clement-premieres-3-27-19-a.html)

dex14 02-04-19 12:03 PM

What We Do in the Shadows (FX) -- based on the film -- EP: Waititi, Clement -- premieres 3/27/19

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...128899032a.jpg

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SyZi3rJPENs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on the feature film of the same name from Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, What We Do in the Shadows is a documentary-style look into the daily (or rather, nightly) lives of four vampires who’ve “lived” together for hundreds of years. In Staten Island.

The self-appointed leader of the group is “Nandor The Relentless” (Kayvan Novak), a great warrior and conqueror from the Ottoman Empire, who has taken the helm of the group despite many of his Old World tactics resulting in what some might politely refer to as bupkis. Then there’s the British vampire “Laszlo” (Matt Berry) – a bit of a rogue and a dandy and a fop, he might say. He’s a lover of mischief and a great soirée, but not as much as he loves seeing Nandor fail miserably in every attempt. And then there’s “Nadja” (Natasia Demetriou): the seductress, the temptress, the vampiric Bonnie to Laszlo’s Clyde. Her wisdom and provocative tales from times past allow us insight into the many ups and downs of living an immortal life.

Also cohabiting in the vampire household is “Guillermo” (Harvey Guillén), Nandor’s familiar (a.k.a. servant/protector during the daylight hours), who wants nothing more than to be made a real vampire just like his master. Also lurking about is “Colin Robinson” (Mark Proksch), an energy vampire and day-walker of sorts -- he feasts on humans, but not on their blood. A frequent visitor is Nadja’s new friend, “Jenna” (Beanie Feldstein), a student at a nearby community college. She loves LARPing, boys, and art history, and for some reason has been rather confused lately as to why it is she so ravenously craves the flesh of the living.

After an unexpected visit from their dark lord and leader, “Baron Afanas,” the vampires are reminded of what they were initially tasked with upon their arrival in Staten Island over a hundred years ago – total and complete domination of the New World. But what exactly is the best way to go about achieving said domination? Our vérité camera crew follows along as the vampires set out to answer this query.

Clement created the 10-episode series. Clement, Waititi and Paul Simms are Executive Producers with Scott Rudin, Eli Bush, and Garrett Basch. What We Do in the Shadows is produced by FX Productions and stars Matt Berry, Kayvan Novak, Natasia Demetriou, Harvey Guillén and Mark Proksch.

Bill Needle 02-04-19 01:53 PM

Re: What We Do in the Shadows (FX) -- based on the film -- EP: Waititi, Clement -- premieres 3/27/19

They had me at Matt Berry.

OldBoy 03-26-19 08:02 PM

What We Do in the Shadows (S1 on FX) -- Discussion Thread -- Premieres 3/27/19

i'm really looking forward to this just from commercials. never saw the film. i believe same creators did show, Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords). actually ordered the movie bc of this.

Channel:
https://i.imgur.com/bYJsMpy.png

Time:
Wed, Mar. 27, 2019
10:00pm (EST)

Info:
10 episode first season
IMDb

Trailer:

Reviews:
91%

Bill Needle 03-26-19 09:35 PM

Re: What We Do in the Shadows (FX) -- based on the film -- EP: Waititi, Clement -- premieres 3/27/19

Just re-watched the original film. I forgot how funny it was (Werewolves, not Swearwolves). Really looking forward to this, and MATT BERRY!

andicus 03-27-19 04:45 PM

Yep. Funny original + Matt Berry = recipe for success. Can't wait to watch it.

Tom Banjo 03-28-19 12:03 AM

Yep, this will be a great series. I enjoyed it almost as much as rhe movie. The addition of psychic vampires is a cool idea.

ultimaton 03-28-19 12:38 AM

Baaat!!!

Gunde 03-28-19 03:51 PM

Creepy paper, creepy paper! :lol:

TGM 03-30-19 12:57 PM

loved loved loved it.

Dan1boy 03-30-19 05:45 PM

loved this show so hard...haven't laughed consistently like that in ages while watching a show....!

Eric F 03-30-19 07:19 PM

That was great.

"He used to have genitals"
"No he didn't, that's what made him a great lover"

:lol:

melasnus 03-31-19 12:52 AM

Pilot good for a few laughs.
I'll give it one more episode...

PhantomStranger 03-31-19 03:57 PM

Solid pilot and very funny. I worry about the comedic formula getting repetitive once they've made fun of all the familiar vampire tropes and cliches, but for now it looks entertaining and well-done.

Bill Needle 03-31-19 03:58 PM

Very enjoyable.

Loved the idea of Colin, the psychic vampire who feeds on energy. Perfect casting too.

gregorjeff 04-15-19 11:25 AM

I'm obsessed with this show. Nadja's faces. OMG...she's my new heroine. I want a bumper sticker that just says "Gregor Jeff."

Geofferson 04-15-19 11:27 AM

I agree this show is awesome thus far. Haven't seen the movie, but now need to check it out.

PhantomStranger 04-15-19 06:01 PM

It's been fun. I did think the werewolf episode was the weakest one yet, but it still had some funny moments. I liked the idea of an emotional vampire.

Bill Needle 04-15-19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by gregorjeff (Post 13533577)
I'm obsessed with this show. Nadja's faces. OMG...she's my new heroine. I want a bumper sticker that just says "Gregor Jeff."

I was watching with my daughter and out of the blue she says, "You know, the Nadja character is actually really great" and I realized neither of us expected much from the character going into the show, thinking she was just put there to balance out the cast. But I couldn't agree more, she is fantastic in the show and if it wasn't for Laszlo (and the amazing Matt Berry) she might be my favorite character.

andicus 04-16-19 12:50 AM

I haven't found the series nearly as funny as the movie. Not so unfunny as to cause me to stop watching, but so far I am a bit disappointed.

TGM 04-16-19 09:19 AM

episode 2 was a huge misfire for me, but the others have been gold

starseed1981 04-16-19 11:16 AM

This is great so far. I've never seen the movie but this is hysterical. Seducing that college student was terrific.

Eric F 04-16-19 12:10 PM

This show makes me smile.

I hope they bring back the larp girl Nadja turned into a vampire.

PhantomStranger 05-05-19 11:44 PM

I don't really get the vomit joke getting so much play, but the show continues to make me laugh each week. I've liked their guest casting, including the lead from Limitless playing her reincarnated lover.

Bill Needle 05-06-19 11:13 PM

The night on the town was fantastic.

dex14 05-07-19 12:34 PM

Renewed: https://tvline.com/2019/05/07/what-w...cRmSUm8bmwk73w