Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Super Bowl LIII Commercial Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Super Bowl LIII Commercial Discussion Thread

I think the age to the Super Bowl commercial is coming to an end. The NFL 100 year commercial was the clear winner and the Buble commercial had me laughing. Other than that there was a lot of Meh. I was just waiting for an SPCA commerical after that Microsoft one, Ugh.
Old 02-04-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I think the age to the Super Bowl commercial is coming to an end. The NFL 100 year commercial was the clear winner and the Buble commercial had me laughing. Other than that there was a lot of Meh. I was just waiting for an SPCA commerical after that Microsoft one, Ugh.
Aren't they basically all available online prior to the game as well?

Did we not get a Doritos commercial this year?
Old 02-04-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I saw one early on with Chance the Rapper and N'Sync.
Old 02-04-19, 08:57 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The BSB/Chance the Rapper - Flamin' Hot Nacho one.
Old 02-04-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
What the fuck was that Andy Warhol Burger King commercial?

The Andy Warhol eating a Whopper footage is a scene from a 1982 European documentary called "66 Scenes From America". I guess Burger King found out about it and acquired the rights to the scene.

And what was shown during the Super Bowl was just the short version. All 4.5 minutes of the scene are available as the online version of the commercial:

Old 02-04-19, 11:30 AM

$5mil well spent!
Old 02-04-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I saw one early on with Chance the Rapper and N'Sync.
Originally Posted by dex14
The BSB/Chance the Rapper - Flamin' Hot Nacho one.
Ah, right, I forgot about that. I was thinking of those amateur commercials or whatever they were called.
Old 02-04-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Come on Stella Artois, you couldn’t do the expected SJP/ a horse walks into a bar joke?
Old 02-04-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Thanks for spoiling the ending of A Private War, Washington Post!
Here's the ad (voiced by Tom Hanks who played WaPo Editor Ben Bradley in The Post in 2017)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZDjfg8YlKHc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And A Private War poster so you get the joke :

Old 02-04-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Sarah Michelle Gellar has had some work done. too bad. she used to be so cute...
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
She's had multiple face-lifts since her time on Buffy ended.
Holy shit, that was Sarah Michelle Gellar?!? I swear I thought that was Sarah Jessica Parker in that Stella Artois ad! She *has* let herself go.
Old 02-04-19, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

To me the best commercial was the Stella Artois one just because it had the most interesting man in the world change brands in the biggest turn since the Verizon "Can you Hear Me Now" guy switched to Sprint and the Playstation guy showed up on a tire commercial peddling Nintendo.
Old 02-04-19, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Holy shit, that was Sarah Michelle Gellar?!? I swear I thought that was Sarah Jessica Parker in that Stella Artois ad! She *has* let herself go.
SMG was in the Olay commercial. SJP was in the Stella commercial.
Old 02-04-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The Andy Warhol eating a Whopper footage is a scene from a 1982 European documentary called "66 Scenes From America". I guess Burger King found out about it and acquired the rights to the scene.

And what was shown during the Super Bowl was just the short version. All 4.5 minutes of the scene are available as the online version of the commercial:

Aw... I was hoping it was gonna be a return of the Subservient Chicken campaign. Lol.
Old 02-04-19, 04:10 PM

Que Sarah Sarah.
Old 02-04-19, 04:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe I missed it. But did Amazon get screwed? When the Patriots FINNALY scored in the 4th quarter, they played the new Harrison Ford ad. I assume they paid to be the first commercial after the first touchdown. But that meant it didn’t play until near the end.
Old 02-04-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It's my understanding that the advertisers can only pick what quarter the commercial airs in and little else.
Old 02-04-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Que Sarah Sarah.
Sarah Michelle Gellar does not look that bad and maybe is just aging and not surgery though she is a horrible actress.
Old 02-04-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I am a sucker for advertising and want to try that M&M bar.

Did they just come out?

Old 02-04-19, 06:24 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's my understanding that the advertisers can only pick what quarter the commercial airs in and little else.

Then why did they choose to have it in the 4th quarter? Or did it also air earlier and I missed it?
Old 02-04-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

I worked for a big company in the past that told us their new commercial would only air in the 4th quarter if it wasn't a blowout. So, I guess they can determine that too.

I had little interest in the game, so watched while standing far away while eating, drinking and talking to friends so I missed a lot, and could hear very little. So I don't know if it actually aired during the game but I really liked the NFL 100 seasons commercial.
Old 02-04-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

At first, I thought it was Kaley Cuoco in the Olay commercial.
Old 02-05-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Sarah Michelle Gellar does not look that bad and maybe is just aging and not surgery though she is a horrible actress.
This is The Internet. It's always surgery. It's always bad surgery.
Old 02-05-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It is interesting that that amazon commercial was directly after that first touchdown, I didn't realize it until Mabuse pointed it out. It didn't air earlier, though the condensed Harrison Ford spot aired during the post game.

It's kind of a weird commercial, too, now that I think about it. The condensed version is basically the dog being able to order whatever he wants by just barking (meaning it's listening all the time), without any kind of approval needed... isn't that exactly what you wouldn't want amazon customers associating with your alexa devices.
Old 02-05-19, 09:35 AM

The NFL was finally able to deliver an entertaining and thoroughly delightful winner. Not in the game, of course.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tJjiIuH1VnY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NFL commercial wins USA TODAY's Ad Meter with tackle-filled celebration in 'The 100-Year Game'

Erik Brady, USA TODAY Published 8:15 a.m. ET Feb. 4, 2019 Updated 9:44 a.m. ET Feb. 4, 2019
Ad Meter 2019: The NFL presents a star-studded ad for Super Bowl liii. USA TODAY
The New England Patriots won the game, but the NFL won the night.

The National Football League finished first in USA TODAY’s Ad Meter, a ranking of Super Bowl ads by consumer rating.That’s a first for the NFL, which finished second in last year’s Ad Meter for a Dirty Dancing parody starring Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. Amazon, which won last year’s crown, finished second this time, in both cases for ads featuring Alexa and a bevy of celebrities.The league’s two-minute ode to itself on Sunday’s telecast was a tour de force starring an assemblage of many of the greats of NFL history, including Eli’s brother Peyton.The ad begins at a black-tie dinner to celebrate the league’s upcoming 100th season and quickly devolves into a banquet-hall brawl when a golden football from atop a many-tiered cake falls off and hits the floor. Soon the all-pro cast --- connecting six generations of NFL players past and present — is throwing and catching and intercepting and recovering the hot-potato football.ALL THE ADS: Check out every Super Bowl commercial

The NFL's "The 100-Year Game" commercial featured a star-studded lineup of current and former players. (Photo: NFL)
"I feel honored to help ring in the NFL’s centennial season with a piece of creative that brings to life the passion, energy and storied history of football,” director Peter Berg said in a statement. “In fact, it’s one of the coolest things I’ve done in my career.”That’s a career that includes "Friday Night Lights" — and another ad in Sunday’s game. Berg’s emotional commercial for Verizon, in which Los Angeles Chargers coach Anthony Lynn meets the first responders who saved his life when he was struck by a speeding vehicle in 2005, finished fifth in Ad Meter voting.

Microsoft came in third for a heart-tugging ad about its Xbox Adaptive Controller for kids with limited mobility who play video games. And Hyundai finished fourth for an ad starring Jason Bateman as an elevator operator to all the places none of us want to go.The NFL’s ad, called “The 100-Year Game,” included players from today, such as Tom Brady, and yesterday, such as Jim Brown. It also included female youth football player Sam Gordon, sportscaster Beth Mowins, Fortnite gamer Tyler “Ninja” Blevins, and Sarah Thomas, the NFL’s first female official."It was important to us that the spot was inclusive and emblematic of football’s expansive influence on American culture,” Tim Ellis said in a statement. He is the NFL’s executive vice president and chief marketing officer."As we approach our centennial season,” he said, “we’re not just embracing football’s rich heritage but also looking toward the next 100 years.”Ad Meter’s results are based on voting by tens of thousands of registered participants. In its 31st year, Bud and Bud Light have won Ad Meter 14 times.
Old 02-05-19, 09:45 AM

I really liked this frame-by-frame break down from Bleacher Report. Sorry for the funky formatting and the fact it can't be put in spoiler without messing everything up.

Reviewing almost every frame of the NFL’s Super Bowl ad

Let’s rank everyone in the this commercial. Ed Reed is number one.

The only way to really run through the full scope of the best ad at the Super Bowl — the NFL’s chaotic, crashing ode to itself and it’s 100th season — is to review almost every frame of it. There’s that much in it, so much that I feel like we can all skip right past Roger Goodell completely and get to the players. Speaking of ignoring Roger Goodell! Alvin Kamara and Drew Brees are smiling because they got to read the script ahead of time and know what just happened to the Rams. Any frame with Marshawn in it is a quality frame. I chose this one because it speaks to me on a personal level, because this is exactly how I look at cake. This is also how Marshawn Lynch looks at cake, both as someone with a well-documented sweet tooth and as a self-described prestige NFL “Fat back”. I both want the huge football cake for myself, and for Marshawn, golden football and decorum be damned.Good storytelling is about vividly portrayed and familiar characters, the things they want, and the struggle to bridge the distance between them. That’s all this is right here: For want of cake, Marshawn Lynch upsets the world. (Worth it, because: Cake.) Sometimes when going through casting options, it’s important to avoid overthinking things. Which player will definitely throw societal norms out first and start a brawl at a formal event? Yes, check the box, that is Ndamukong Suh, no need for second options here.Follow-up: Which player will not, under any circumstances, get involved in that brawl because his mom might hear about it and yell at him? Eli Manning, just pencil that in and don’t entertain other choices. He had the role before we even started shooting. Okay so you know that thing directors do sometimes where they don’t tell the actors what’s going to happen so the reactions are real? That’s what’s happening here. Mike Singletary is not acting, and has instead just done what he always does when someone rolls an unattended ball onto the ground. It’s made his life hell and destroyed his social life.Please do not laugh at Mike Singletary or his crippling and overdeveloped football instincts. It’s not funny for him, or for his fatigued and embarrassed family. Christian McCaffrey looks like he’s got a precious idol in his hand and is about to say “We have to stop meeting like this, Dr. Jones”. No, actually, he doesn’t think this belongs in a museum. Really just wanted to point out how beautifully framed each shot here is. Renaissance paintings kiss my entire ass, look at that composition and range of human emotions. I’ve been saying Rembrandt is trash for years and will continue to do so when the modern competition is burying him on basic crap like Super Bowl commercials. Step up and buy like one light bulb and then paint something I can see, you cheap bastard. Tag yourself here, this is me. This ad is a reminder that Joe Montana is just extremely game at all times. Max effort in every role, like when he played himself in a skit on Saturday Night Live back in 1987 and repeatedly used the word “masturbate” on network television in a time when people didn’t get jobs because they said it out loud.I haven’t watched Saturday Night Live in years. However, I think it’s safe to assume it’s only gotten better with time, and that this is something everyone agrees on universally as a matter of public opinion. Again, this man is not acting here. I haven’t followed Jerry Rice on Twitter for years just to tell you he’s a) not trying out for a team here and b) that he isn’t convinced he wouldn’t be a 1,000 yard receiver in 2019’s NFL. Pump-fake around him in public and see if that arm doesn’t fly up to show you just how open he is at the California Pizza Kitchen at 11:45 am on a Tuesday. Michael Irvin is the Voice of Reason here. Michael Irvin once attacked a teammate sitting in a barber’s chair with a pair of scissors. I see you, ironic screenwriter. I see everything you’re doing here, and appreciate it. That is definitely Deion high-stepping... ...but there is no way Deion took a hit for this ad because a) CGI is an amazing technology and b) Deion is a smart man, and not a dumb one. On the other hand, there is no way Brian Urlacher — star of Netflix’s original anime Copgod: Father of Cops — did not lay this hit himself. Not a chance. I’m torn. Part of me wants to pay the 1972 Dolphins zero attention because they played football when there were ten plays and everyone weighed about as much as the average American in 2019 weighs.Then again, as an aspiring old bastard, I’m very much respectful of stunting on an old record no matter how wobbly it might be in context. Also, I’ve always agreed with the ‘72 Dolphins champagne is a light, refreshing beverage suitable not just for formal events, but for a whole host of social occasions, too.It’s fraught, so let’s just put this right here in the middle because that’s pretty much where the Miami Dolphins end up in most football-related things. Todd Gurley averaged one touch every two minutes in this ad. In the actual Super Bowl, Todd Gurley had just eleven touches overall in Sean McVay’s game plan. If the director of this commercial had coached the Rams against the Patriots, Gurley would have touched the ball a projected thirty times, and the Rams would have had a better chance of winning.

QED: The director of this commercial is a better football coach than Sean McVay. Barry Sanders makes two people miss in this despite having a tie knot the size of an artichoke. Legendary performance. Emmitt Smith putting together a fully-rounded resume here: Superb line delivery (“Y’all know I have more yards than they do, right”), immaculately groomed facial hair that embraces his age, the butterfly bow-tie, a full flex with the earrings, and the impression that he’s not getting out of his chair unless the place is on fire AND out of champagne? Flawless retired-and-loving it vibes here, no old NFL man does this with more assurance. Peyton dunking on himself at every opportunity is his brand, and also distracts everyone from pointing out the subtle but still substantial comeback his hairline made over the last few years. Peyton also puts in a good nod early on in the ad, a hard thing to do when your head is the size of an obelisk. He’s not asked to do much here, but it’s craftsman-level work nonetheless. Michael Strahan contributes little here but still gets a credit. Next entry is related to recent events. Baker Mayfield calls Tom Brady old and wears a suit he got off an assassin in John Wick 2, and therefore gets an A for his work here. Tom Brady says he’s going to do something, takes off his rings, and stands up. He is seen doing nothing for the rest of the ad. This is why Tom Brady is the favorite player of every aspiring management-class person in the United States. Again: I see you, subtly savage scriptwriter. Rob Gronkowski looks like the heir to a bankrupt but still titled duchy somewhere obscure and European. Sure he’s a baron in title for the party invites — but he DJs in Miami three nights a week for the money. What I am saying: If Rob Gronkowski never opened his mouth, someone would hand him the keys to a dilapidated castle and the reins of a serviceable war horse without asking a single question. Brian Urlacher with hair looks like the Father of all Cops, and also star of the Netflix anime original series Copgod: Father of Cops. He hasn’t touched his salad because “I don’t eat what my food eats”. Ninja says hello to JuJu Smith-Schuster, the joke being that Juju played Fortnite with Ninja and Drake, and now in person does not recognize him. Juju Smith-Schuster may not really recognize Ninja here. That is fine because unlike every football player, Ninja makes a half mil a month playing video games without risk of heinous injury, and cannot be spotted or bothered on the street by 99.9 percent of Americans. WHO’S LAUGHING NOW, JOCKS? Richard Sherman gets faked out by a child. Yes, a spectacularly gifted, pioneering, and award-winning football child. Yes, it’s also what the the script says. But if you’re a DB then that ball is yours. Why does she have the ball still, Richard? This is going to hurt during film study during the week, and I want it to, for you, Richard. I want it to sizzle. I want you to feel that burn so you don’t feel it again next week against Arizona. A brief note to say: The play-fake by the director here to have Aaron Donald and not Ndamukong Suh be the answer to “Who will sack and hurt an old man?” is nifty. Suh would sack a senior citizen if he had to, I have no doubt of this. It’s just the role-switching and confounding of the viewer’s expectations is nice here, that’s all. That’s three DBs — Patrick Peterson, Derwin James, and Jalen Ramsey — and two wide receivers, Odell Beckham, Jr and Larry Fitzgerald. So yes, Terry Bradshaw is throwing into what is at least double coverage. The accuracy overall here remains untouchable. THE IMMACULATE RECEPTION HIT THE GROUND FIRST AND THE RAIDERS WERE SCREWED. STOP GLORIFYING THIS VULTURE AND HIS SIGNATURE PLAY. THE WHITE TIE IS NICE, THOUGH, I CAN’T EVEN DENY IT. Saquon got his hurdle shot. The identity of the player completely embarrassed on the play isn’t clear, but I think it’s safe to assume on principle that he’s an Atlanta Falcon. Patrick Mahomes being a blur throwing across his body works. So does Russell Wilson sitting down and saying “hi” politely while not getting up to join the mess. Russell Wilson is just waiting for dinner rolls and a chance to talk about a few of his favorite brands because he is Russell Wilson. Both players are deeply on brand here. Odell gets a circus catch and crashes into a table. After watching this ad twenty times or so, this is general statement of fact: more media content should involve demolishing large cakes and elaborate banquet settings. This ad recognizes that, and I appreciate its solidarity in bringing back a hallowed American cinematic tradition of destroying expensive things for our entertainment. NO THIS IS NOT THE FILMMAKER’S CLEVER HIDDEN METACOMMENTARY ON FOOTBALL AS A WHOLE, WHY DO YOU ASK? Von’s got a bigass cowboy hat, his eighties electrician glasses on, and the reverse white/black formal wear scheme going with an embroidered jacket. Top ten all by itself. I want to conclude with this frame. This ad gives Ed Reed this giant hero shot like Ed is about to:
  1. Snatch a baby stroller out of the path of a rolling 18-wheeler
  2. Organize a successful casino heist
  3. Meet the love of his life, become the love of their life, and yet refuse to commit because doing so would compromise his integrity as America’s last line of defense against evil
  4. Fight Death in hand-to-hand combat and win
Ed Reed is not only capable of all of these things, but probably has done at least two of them in real life. The jacket alone would have merited top placement, but having him lurking only to strike when least expected? That’s doing your work in the film room, there. Top billing here, because

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.