DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL (S44S11) -- 01/26/19 -- H: James McAvoy -- MG: Meek Mill (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646593-snl-s44s11-01-26-19-h-james-mcavoy-mg-meek-mill.html)

Goldberg74 01-26-19 02:09 PM

SNL (S44S11) -- 01/26/19 -- H: James McAvoy -- MG: Meek Mill

This should be interesting... and my interesting, I mean bad... and by bad, I mean "the usual"...

... I really dislike Leslie Jones.

<fieldset style="max-width: 500px; margin: 0px auto; font-size: smaller;"><legend>Season 44 (2018-2019)</legend>
SNL (S44E01) -- 09/29/18 -- H: Adam Driver -- MG: Kanye West (Season 44 Premier)
SNL (S44E02) -- 10/06/18 -- H: Awkwafina -- MG: Travis Scott
SNL (S44E03) -- 10/13/18 -- H: Seth Meyers -- MG: Paul Simon
SNL (S44E04) -- 11/03/18 -- H: Jonah Hill -- MG: Maggie Rogers
SNL (S44S05) -- 11/10/18 -- H: Liev Schrieber -- MG: Lil Wayne
SNL (S44S06) -- 11/17/18 -- H: Steve Carell -- MG: Ella Mai
SNL (S44S07) -- 12/01/18 -- H: Claire Foy -- MG: Anderson .Paak
SNL (S44S08) -- 12/08/18 -- H: Jason Momoa -- MG: Mumford & Sons
SNL (S44S09) -- 12/15/18 -- H: Matt Damon -- MG: Mark Ronson & Miley Cyrus
SNL (S44S10) -- 01/19/19 -- H: Rachel Brosnahan -- MG: Greta Van Fleet
SNL (S44S11) -- 01/26/19 -- H: James McAvoy -- MG: Meek Mill</fieldset>

Hazel Motes 01-27-19 12:58 AM

Re: SNL (S44S11) -- 01/26/19 -- H: James McAvoy -- MG: Meek Mill

I have always watched everything, the bad and the good of SNL, since the mid 90's. I'd always watch the whole episode. Since Leslie Jones joined the cast I find myself fast-forwarding a lot of her stuff, ESPECIALLY her WU appearences. Something I'd NEVER done before. Its not just that she's untalented. SNL has been down that road before. It's that she's so aggressively agitating to my eyes and my ears that watching her perform leaves me angry. She's like a wrestling heel but without a babyface to serve her her eventual comeuppance. She overcompensates for a lack of talent by being very very loud. She's quite sincerely without an ounce of hyperbole, the worst SNL cast member since I started watching the show in 95. Possibly ever.

bluesix 01-27-19 02:35 PM

no comments on this episode still? wondering if anyone bothers watching still...

this episode wasn't as bad as last week's.

opening bit with Steve Martin as Roger Stone was funny.

I thought the monologue was decent with McAvoy in his kilt commenting about getting confused with Ewan MacGregor. Altho his calf muscles are distractingly huge. Dude must love to go biking or something....

traffic controller bit was funny altho you knew where they were headed. I didn't realize you could make a Scottish accent that unintelligible.

The Virgin Bachelor skit also made me chuckle. Altho they have done these Bachelor parody sketches many times now the female cast members always manage to keep their response fresh.

Leslie Jones pre-recorded rap about living on the Upper East Side was funny to me but only because I work in NYC frequently and know the area. I agree her personality is grating but she is not completely without talent.

The Narnia bit with McAvoy as a gay Mr. Tumnes was okay

Weekend Update was decent as usual. Michael Che joke about Roger Stone hiring a black man to do his wife in 1996 really is true! And the annoying former crack head character that Cecily Strong does always manages to have some funny moments

Really the only bit that I didn't care for was the annoying as hell 2 sons who fight and have to be hosed down while their parents have guests over one. They can retire that one...certainly not worth bringing back again!

Couldn't comment on Meek Mill because I fast forwarded through both performances...not for me...but then neither was the horrid Greta Van Fleet next week....I applaud SNL for always managing to get the artist of the moment who is peaking in the media at just the right moment but can they at least be limited to one song if they are new artists that nobody knows.

Coral 01-27-19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 13489722)
Altho his calf muscles are distractingly huge. Dude must love to go biking or something....

He worked out hard for this role in Glass. Not sure if he's still trying to keep in shape, or if he just hasn't lost his muscle yet.

I think there were 3 skits that he recycled... the Bachelor thing, the annoying kids and the New Orleans thing - just all done with changes to some variables.

It was an ok episode.

Count Dooku 01-27-19 03:48 PM

Chris Redd's Souljah Boy impression was great . . . or lousy . . . I have no idea who SB is. :scratch2:

JeffTheAlpaca 01-27-19 07:36 PM

I don'; know what the writers have been doing but the first two shows for 2019 are really weak and they had over a month off to prepare.

I like James McAvoy but he did not get a lot of good stuff to work with.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-27-19 07:38 PM

[I applaud SNL for always managing to get the artist of the moment who is peaking in the media at just the right moment but can they at least be limited to one song if they are new artists that nobody knows.
Halsey is the next guest and performer though most people probably know who she is if they kept track of music in 2017 and beyond.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-27-19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13489492)
I have always watched everything, the bad and the good of SNL, since the mid 90's. I'd always watch the whole episode. Since Leslie Jones joined the cast I find myself fast-forwarding a lot of her stuff, ESPECIALLY her WU appearences. Something I'd NEVER done before. Its not just that she's untalented. SNL has been down that road before. It's that she's so aggressively agitating to my eyes and my ears that watching her perform leaves me angry. She's like a wrestling heel but without a babyface to serve her her eventual comeuppance. She overcompensates for a lack of talent by being very very loud. She's quite sincerely without an ounce of hyperbole, the worst SNL cast member since I started watching the show in 95. Possibly ever.

She is worse than Melanie Hutsell?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/46/a3/7e/4...night-live.jpg

whotony 01-27-19 07:54 PM

I was rolling from Mcavoy’s Philly accent.
it was about 97% accurate.

it killed me when the last thing he said was “I needed it like yesderdee”
Thats real Greater Northeast Philly accent right there.

Hazel Motes 01-28-19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13489854)

As I said 95- present. Looking at imdb, she was a cast member from 91-94. I don't remember seeing a sketch of hers. Also if I did I might very well be confusing her with Victoria Jackson, I don't know.

Hazel Motes 01-28-19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 13489722)
Really the only bit that I didn't care for was the annoying as hell 2 sons who fight and have to be hosed down while their parents have guests over one. They can retire that one...certainly not worth bringing back again!

Thats funny because its the only sketch that made me laugh out loud last night. The first one did as well. :shrug:

Rob V 01-28-19 06:21 AM

McAvoy's role in the Charmin thing was pretty damn funny.

Josh-da-man 01-28-19 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13489854)

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13489981)
As I said 95- present. Looking at imdb, she was a cast member from 91-94. I don't remember seeing a sketch of hers. Also if I did I might very well be confusing her with Victoria Jackson, I don't know.

I think she did the Jan Brady “Weekend Update” commentaries.

Bandoman 01-28-19 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13489862)
I was rolling from Mcavoy’s Philly accent.
it was about 97% accurate.

it killed me when the last thing he said was “I needed it like yesderdee”
Thats real Greater Northeast Philly accent right there.

:lol: Me too. And the content of that Charmin sketch was funny as hell.

bralph 01-28-19 09:50 AM

Was McAvoy in every sketch? Sure seemed like it. I enjoyed this episode, even though I am not that familiar with him outside of Split. I liked the open, Charmin, traffic controller, and New Orleans the most. "You gotta try the Jumbo! I mean Gumbo-laya..." LOL I fast forwarded through the musical guest, since it was a rapper I never heard of. Enjoyed Update as well, but that is usually pretty good in my opinion. The Bachelor sketch was OK, but it felt really odd with how he just kept repeating "tell me something about yourself" to every girl, even when they sat down for a second time. His delivery just seemed a little uncomfortable or something. It just seemed really odd to me.

Giantrobo 01-28-19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13489492)

:lol:

JeffTheAlpaca 01-28-19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13490056)

I think she did the Jan Brady “Weekend Update” commentaries.

She is the one

Can SNL do shows outside of NY?

It would be cool if they traveled to Los Angeles or Chicago or some other locale and did a show.

I saw a doc on Gilda Radner on CNN and they talked about the time they did a show in New Orleans and how they were mobbed by all the fans.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-07-19 03:33 AM

Don Cheadle is the host for the Feb 16 episode with Gary Clark J as the musical guest.