The Orville (S2E05) -- "All the World Is Birthday Cake" -- 01/24/2019

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (S2E05) -- "All the World Is Birthday Cake" -- 01/24/2019

Old 01-25-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: The Orville (S2E05) -- "All the World Is Birthday Cake" -- 01/24/2019

Originally Posted by The Cow
She looked familiar to me as well, and I've seen some of the things she has been in, but nothing that I would recognize her from. Might be the raspy voice and I'm thinking of someone else, dunno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Szohr
Gossip Girl. Thanks.
Old 01-25-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I guess you didn't see Kelly and Bortus kill about a dozen guards with machine guns.
Yeah they murdered a bunch of dudes who were just trying to feed their families, and to what end exactly? What was their grand plan once outside the gates with little but the clothes on their back on a planet they know virtually nothing about all while being rightfully hunted as murdering fugitives? Rescuing them was out of the question due to the harm it would cause in diplomatic relations, but them butchering their way out, well that's totally cool.

But once the "star" appears it's all birthday cake and singalongs...except for the fatherless children and widows of those pointlessly slaughtered by the heroes of the Orville. Turns out the jelliacs are OK, but those dicks from the Orville are the worst.

Something else that bugged me: What people that have yet to make outside contact nevertheless name their home planet Rigor-2?
Old 01-25-19, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Something else that bugged me: What people that have yet to make outside contact nevertheless name their home planet Rigor-2?
That I was okay with. They could see out into space and possibly know if other planets existed, and just got lazy on naming the planets.

I was pretty good with everything up until the resolution.
Old 01-25-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That I was okay with. They could see out into space and possibly know if other planets existed, and just got lazy on naming the planets.
What's that up there?
Looks like a planet. We shall call it Rigor.
Sounds good. But what about naming our planet?
Hmm... Rigor-2 comes to mind.

Or maybe all planets are named Rigor and theirs is simply "Rigor too."
Old 01-25-19, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

What's that up there?
Looks like a planet. We shall call it Rigor.
Sounds good. But what about naming our planet?
Hmm... Rigor-2 comes to mind.
yeah, I'm just trying to justify it somehow. They originally called their planet CheeseHead, but then Bob Rigor, the great astronomer, was looking through a telescope and discovered a planet closer to their sun and then another one further away. To honor his findings, the Quorum of Astronomers (the QoA) decided from then on to name planets after Bob, and just add a number designation to indicate the order from the Sun. (I got nuthin')

Did the Orville have any name for the planet before they visited it? I can't remember if it was uncharted, or if they just didn't know it had life on it.
Old 01-26-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I wish they would focus on comedy/sci-fi satire. The "serious" plots on the show are trite and paper thin, completely falling apart under the slightest scrutiny. If they are going to be this bad at incorporating traditional sci-fi someone needs tell them they shouldn't bother.
Absolutely right on the money.
If they continue with episodes like this one the show won't last.
It would just be a bad imitation of TNG.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
An underwhelming episode that felt like a badly recycled ST: The Next Generation plot.
This was the most Trek-ish episode I can recall.

She looked familiar to me as well, and I've seen some of the things she has been in, but nothing that I would recognize her from. Might be the raspy voice and I'm thinking of someone else, dunno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Szohr
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1221906/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Old 01-26-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Despite some of the criticism of this episode, this and last week’s are the two most accessible Orville’s for my wife, who is a hardcore TOS/TNG/DS9/V/E fan. No puerile humor, but some laughs, and decent Star Trek style plots. My wife is a twin, so she found the whole “shared birthday” subplot very funny, plus Bortus' comment “An egg is easier” during the birthing scene.
Old 01-26-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
My wife is a twin, so she found the whole “shared birthday” subplot very funny, plus Bortus' comment “An egg is easier” during the birthing scene.
I think the humor is decent most of the time and that's why I wish that was the focus rather than serving as a holodeck simulation for Seth's fantasy of being on Star Trek which I'm sure he gets off on but doesn't do much for me.
Old 01-26-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA
Also stupid for the fact that the stars look different at different places in the universe, and more importantly, planets revolve around their suns at different rates, so a year on one planet is not a year on another. Thus Kelly revealing her birthday does nothing to denote where the stars were on this planet when she was born. I know, I know, there's a lot about this show where you have to suspend disbelief more than you ordinarily would. But the whole astrology thing was just plain stupid.
I think you're thinking something that's probably a wrong assumption. In this episode, there is no need at all for all of the planets (Regor 2, Moclus, Earth) to have exactly the same annual year length, just for the visitors to happen to have birthdays that coincided with the astrological sign of Giliac on the First Contact planet of Regor 2 at this particular time. From the perspective of the people on that planet, the basic idea that other planets have years of different length than their own is just as alien of a concept as the idea that other planets don't have the same astrology as their own. Merely the timing of their birthdays alone in relation to their planet was the issue, not the varying length of each planet's year which is totally unknown to them aside from their own.

Last edited by dhmac; 01-26-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Egotastic Funtime's First Impression video of this episode

Old 01-26-19, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

If they are so blatantly ripping off TNG episodes, at least they should go for the good ones later on, not the crappy early season 1 episodes.
Old 01-27-19, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Yeah, I’d suck as a ship captain. I’d have just used a dropship to collect my crew and then blasted those fuckers from orbit.
Old 01-27-19, 08:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the Federation's (or whatever) stance on this was dumb. just leaving 2 crewmembers behind. ridiculous.

knock out gas the entire area, grab your people and get out of there never to return. fin. certainly less of a breach of the prime directive (or whatever) than their ultimate solution.

also makes me wonder if they will ever incorporate transporters in this show.

Last edited by TGM; 01-27-19 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

also makes me wonder if they will ever incorporate transporters in this show.
I hope not. Transporter was created o TOS due to budget costs of ship landing FX.
Notice on Star Trek how they always had to keep coming up with reasons why the transporter would not work when they created a situation that the transporter could solve instantly.

Old 01-27-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I hope not. Transporter was created o TOS due to budget costs of ship landing FX.
Notice on Star Trek how they always had to keep coming up with reasons why the transporter would not work when they created a situation that the transporter could solve instantly.
Exactly. This is the point in my post about everybody speaking English. You're suppose to concoct a reason so the audience doesn't ask "Why don't they use the transporter?" or "Why do they speak English?".
Old 01-27-19, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Exactly. This is the point in my post about everybody speaking English. You're suppose to concoct a reason so the audience doesn't ask "Why don't they use the transporter?" or "Why do they speak English?".
Not English, “Federation Standard”.
Old 01-27-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They don't use a transporter because that technology does not exist in the universe of this show.

They speak English because this is a television show produced in the USA.

Seriously, if you are watching The Orville and wondering why everybody speaks English then you are watching TV wrong.
Old 01-27-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
So the captain can just request that the new security chief be from one planet? How about getting the best person regardless of origin? Or does the extra strength of people from that planet make them automatically the best for the job?
I'm certain that Seth thinks having a female security chief and having a female be the physically strongest person on the ship is an important representation that he did not want to abandon just because Sage left the show.
Old 01-27-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Thank god this forum wasn't around when TOS, TNG, and DS9 aired. Add B5 to that.
Old 01-27-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

They speak English because this is a television show produced in the USA.

Seriously, if you are watching The Orville and wondering why everybody speaks English then you are watching TV wrong.
Everybody realizes that. Doesn't invalidate bringing it up.
Nobody questions why everybody speaks English on Hogan's Heroes. Why? Because the Germans all speak with German accents. This tells the audience that the German characters have learned English as a second language. Give a character an accent and all is explained.
Why do the Germans continue to speak in English when they are alone among themselves?
Correct answer: Because it's a tv show.
It's still a valid question.
Old 01-27-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everybody realizes that. Doesn't invalidate bringing it up.
If everybody who watches the show understands that all the human characters and all the alien characters speak English because it is an American TV show, then why would you request that Seth insert some ridiculous explanation into the show for why everybody is speaking English?
These are people flying around the galaxy on a star-ship, 400 years from now, and they watch movies and listen to music from 40 years ago. None of it actually makes any fucking sense.
Old 01-27-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by count dooku

seriously, if you are watching the orville [...] then you are watching tv wrong.
fyp ( )
Old 01-27-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

They don't use a transporter because that technology does not exist in the universe of this show.
And they’re already pushing the Trek similarities about as far as they can without getting sued into oblivionby Paramount. Transporters are about as distinctly Star Trek as you can get, and introducing something like that would probably cross an actionable line.
Old 01-28-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chipping in with a nerdy correction, but transporter technology actually does exist in the show's universe, however the Union does not possess it.

In the second episode of the show (S01E02 - "Command Performance"), the far more advanced Calivon civilization used some type of transporter to kidnap Ed and Kelly for exhibits in their zoo. If the show last long enough, maybe a future episode will depict the Union finally getting transporter technology, either through espionage or developing it themselves.
Old 01-29-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Oddly enough I sort of liked this episode. And I am a huge critic of this show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.