Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (S2E05) -- "All the World Is Birthday Cake" -- 01/24/2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Re: The Orville (S2E05) -- "All the World Is Birthday Cake" -- 01/24/2019

Off topic complaint. I hate the shape and design of the Orville both inside and out. The Deck is way to open and bright, and those stupid engine loop thingys on the main ship and the shuttles look silly.

Thanks for lisnin'
Old 01-29-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing about the show that I've grown to love is its theme music

Looking around, I found these cover versions...

Here's someone playing it on piano

And here's a metal cover

Old 01-29-19, 04:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think you're thinking something that's probably a wrong assumption. In this episode, there is no need at all for all of the planets (Regor 2, Moclus, Earth) to have exactly the same annual year length, just for the visitors to happen to have birthdays that coincided with the astrological sign of Giliac on the First Contact planet of Regor 2 at this particular time. From the perspective of the people on that planet, the basic idea that other planets have years of different length than their own is just as alien of a concept as the idea that other planets don't have the same astrology as their own. Merely the timing of their birthdays alone in relation to their planet was the issue, not the varying length of each planet's year which is totally unknown to them aside from their own.
Then it should have been an easy thing to explain that Kelly's "birthday" was in relation to her own planet's year length, and that when using Regor 2's year, it wasn't actually her birthday at all. Also, those stupid tooth samples (however they worked) should have also verified this, since they probably measure time in relation to Regor's year.

Also, regarding the other stupid thing, speaking English. It would have been fine if the crew had a universal translator, which I don't believe they've ever claimed to have. However, for it to work when Kelly and Bortus were in prison, it would have to have been embedded in their bodies, since all of their clothing was taken and they were in prison garb.

We can suspend disbelief, but only so far.
Old 01-29-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Off topic complaint. I hate the shape and design of the Orville both inside and out. The Deck is way to open and bright, and those stupid engine loop thingys on the main ship and the shuttles look silly.

Thanks for lisnin'
The Orville does look odd. I keep wondering if it's supposed to be a joke. Shaped like a gynecologist tool or something.
Old 01-29-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
With Kelly and Bortus killing so many guards you have to wonder if they would have just let them go free or try them for murder.
As to the new hire she's not as attractive as Alara but I'll withheld judgement until I see if she can pull off the role.
The actress that plays the new security officer sounds like she is a chain smoker.
Old 01-29-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rw2516
The Orville does look odd. I keep wondering if it's supposed to be a joke. Shaped like a gynecologist tool or something.
Jesus man. I can't unsee that. You may be on to something.
Old 01-29-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Thanks for lisnin'
They probably can’t use anything that looks like the Star Trek nacelles without risking a trademark infringement lawsuit, so they went with those loopy things. They’re really pushing it hard as it is.
Old 01-29-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts

From the back it just looks like a big open laughing mouth to me.
Old 01-30-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't disagree.

Originally Posted by movieguru
The actress that plays the new security officer sounds like she is a chain smoker.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ywood-bar.html
Old 01-30-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Egotastic Funtime episode recap and review

Old 01-30-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

They probably can’t use anything that looks like the Star Trek nacelles without risking a trademark infringement lawsuit, so they went with those loopy things. They’re really pushing it hard as it is.

Yeah, makes sense. Here is some insight into the design of the Orville.

'Star Trek: Discovery,' 'The Orville' Ship Designers Reveal Inspirations

IndieWire also spoke to the ship design team from The Orville, Seth MacFarlane’s love letter to Star Trek, about the design of that series’ titular vessel.

“Seth said that he wanted an aspirational show with bright colors, unlike so much of what’s out there today, a future where problems were solved and people are fairly well-adjusted,” said production designer Stephen Lineweaver. This came through in the ship’s curvature, its ringed design, and the two-story bridge set.

“The two-story platform led to the idea of putting the Bridge on the second story,” added Lineweaver. “It was a large observation deck that’s open to the sky. We put a large oval skylight and a gigantic view screen. To me, the Bridge was all about taking a trip into space and being immersed in it.”
Old 01-30-19, 04:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so... the new security officer is the same race as the old one, so will she not succumb to the same wasting syndrome in short order?
Old 01-30-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
so... the new security officer is the same race as the old one, so will she not succumb to the same wasting syndrome in short order?
In the episode where Alara left, they established that Dr Finn found a treatment regimen so she could stay on the ship and not be affected by the gravity, one would presume that the new security chief will undertake that, but the show has not explicitly explained that it will happen, so some viewers will refuse to make that leap and complain that the show is ruining their ability to suspend disbelief.
Old 01-30-19, 07:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
In the episode where Alara left, they established that Dr Finn found a treatment regimen so she could stay on the ship and not be affected by the gravity, one would presume that the new security chief will undertake that, but the show has not explicitly explained that it will happen, so some viewers will refuse to make that leap and complain that the show is ruining their ability to suspend disbelief.
ah yes, forgot that part.
Old 01-30-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

They don't use a transporter because that technology does not exist in the universe of this show.

They speak English because this is a television show produced in the USA.

Seriously, if you are watching The Orville and wondering why everybody speaks English then you are watching TV wrong.
The aliens speaking English happens on Star Trek and just about all other sci-fi shows that feature humanoid aliens in space. Even in Star Trek, universal translators would make no sense. Their lips still move as they're speaking English. Also the primitive cultures wouldnt have the translators so they still wouldnt understand what the Enterprise's crew were saying to them. There's been a number of episodes where several different primitive cultures spoke to each other and understood each other without having universal translators or Federation crew around. you pretty much have to ignore the whle language barrier if you want to watch these type shows.
Old 01-30-19, 09:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The aliens speaking English happens on Star Trek and just about all other sci-fi shows that feature humanoid aliens in space. Even in Star Trek, universal translators would make no sense. Their lips still move as they're speaking English. Also the primitive cultures wouldnt have the translators so they still wouldnt understand what the Enterprise's crew were saying to them. There's been a number of episodes where several different primitive cultures spoke to each other and understood each other without having universal translators or Federation crew around. you pretty much have to ignore the whle language barrier if you want to watch these type shows.
In the Star Trek universe, you understand that "alien-ness" means pointy ears on a human figure, or ridges on the forehead, or different shades of color on the skin of an otherwise human figure. It is a signal that this being is alien, and we know there is a limitation in the special effects and that in "reality" these beings would be much more alien. Likewise with a "universal translator" that makes communication a lot easier and quicker than we all know it would really be in an "actual" situation. But IMHO, this particular episode of The Orville takes things too far. I really like The Orville, and I think, for example, that the episode where Bortus has to go back to his home planet once a year to urinate, is a brilliant nod to Star Trek and Spock, even though it is totally, totally nonsensical. But this particular episode was an example of really lazy writing that went over the edge.
Old 01-30-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Would we enjoy a hard sci fi version of Star Trek? With true alien species, lack of communication, etc...?
Old 01-31-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
HEY!
You're not supposed to notice that!
Old 01-31-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally caught up on my backlog of eps. This show is great. I've watched all of the Star Treks except for the latest incarnation as I don't want to shell out for AllAccess yet... I haven't re-watched many in reruns though, other than the original so my memory is a bit fuzzy. So I am good with recycled story-lines with the added humorous banter. I also leave half my brain at the door with this show.. the language thingy in this ep, I will assume they have language translator software with implants in their ears etc to make that work , and I will also look the other way at the misc gaping plot line holes because this show is still great fun and a likable cast and some solid laughs every ep, with an occasional hmm moment to think about.

Love the miscellaneous guest spots as well, Ted Danson in this one.. good stuff.

hope we get another season or two...
Old 01-31-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This episode's title is based on a lyric in the Beatles song "It's All Too Much" from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack album

(The lyric is just over 2 minutes into the song)

Last edited by dhmac; 01-31-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was watching a youtube video review including the mistakes made with the movie Timeline. A time travel movie about a group going to medieval France. One of the complaints was that the English and French spoken at that time sounded nothing like modern English or French so the modern folks would not have been able to communicate with the folks in the 14th century. May be true but then you don't have a movie. At some point you have to have the heroes communicate with the villains to move the plot along.
Old 01-31-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a new episode premieres in less than 90 minutes, so that means in a little over 2 hours people will have a new list of complaints
Old 02-01-19, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I was watching a youtube video review including the mistakes made with the movie Timeline. A time travel movie about a group going to medieval France. One of the complaints was that the English and French spoken at that time sounded nothing like modern English or French so the modern folks would not have been able to communicate with the folks in the 14th century. May be true but then you don't have a movie. At some point you have to have the heroes communicate with the villains to move the plot along.
All you have to do is mention that the time travelers are familiar with the archaic form of the language. Doesn't add a dime to the budget.
Old 02-01-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All you have to do is mention that the time travelers are familiar with the archaic form of the language. Doesn't add a dime to the budget.
So you go to the trouble of explaining that people from the present are fluent in a dead language, in order to explain away an issue that no sane person watching the movie cares about, and then all the characters speak in the contemporary form of the language anyways.
Good plan!
Old 02-01-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you go to the trouble of explaining that people from the present are fluent in a dead language, in order to explain away an issue that no sane person watching the movie cares about, and then all the characters speak in the contemporary form of the language anyways.
Good plan!
In no one watching the movie cared, why were people complaining about it in the youtube video you mentioned?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.