TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Resident Evil tv series in works at Netflix...

Old 01-24-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Resident Evil tv series in works at Netflix...

https://deadline.com/2019/01/residen...ix-1202541277/

EXCLUSIVE: Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all ofResident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and “easter eggs.”

The Resident Evil film franchise, launched with the 2002 Resident Evil, consists of six movies to date, produced by Constantin, which had acquired the rights to the video game series, and distributed by Screen Gems. The franchise has cumulatively earned $1.2 billion worldwide to date to rank as the highest-grossing film series ever based on a video game.

Paul W. S. Anderson was behind the six-movie series, which starred Milla Jovovich and wrapped in 2016 with Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Since then, Constantin Film brass have discussed plans to reboot the franchise, including as a TV series. Last month, the company hired Johannes Roberts to write and direct a potential feature Resident Evilreboot with a new cast.
Old 01-24-19, 06:09 PM

Re: Resident Evil tv series in works at Netflix...

Wow.
Old 01-24-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Personally, they need to make this completely different than the movies. The movies are fine for what they are, but they are definitely not longform quality.
Old 01-24-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Keep Paul W.S. Anderson far away from this. If you're going to develop a TV series, get a new voice to write it.
Old 01-24-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of wish this was a CG anime like the three movies: Degeneration, Damnation, and Vendetta... which fill in gaps between the games and are considered canon.

But if they can't go that route, then adapting the games, or some other side stories like the Outbreak games, would be nice.

Don't want a repeat of the live-action movies that just completely alter the universe and change things on a whim.