DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Resident Evil (Netflix) -- premieres 7/14/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646571-resident-evil-netflix-premieres-7-14-22-a.html)

Deftones 01-24-19 06:08 PM

Resident Evil (Netflix) -- premieres 7/14/22

https://deadline.com/2019/01/residen...ix-1202541277/

EXCLUSIVE: Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all ofResident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and “easter eggs.”

The Resident Evil film franchise, launched with the 2002 Resident Evil, consists of six movies to date, produced by Constantin, which had acquired the rights to the video game series, and distributed by Screen Gems. The franchise has cumulatively earned $1.2 billion worldwide to date to rank as the highest-grossing film series ever based on a video game.

Paul W. S. Anderson was behind the six-movie series, which starred Milla Jovovich and wrapped in 2016 with Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Since then, Constantin Film brass have discussed plans to reboot the franchise, including as a TV series. Last month, the company hired Johannes Roberts to write and direct a potential feature Resident Evilreboot with a new cast.

Deftones 01-24-19 06:10 PM

re: Resident Evil (Netflix) -- premieres 7/14/22

Personally, they need to make this completely different than the movies. The movies are fine for what they are, but they are definitely not longform quality.

DJariya 01-24-19 06:27 PM

Keep Paul W.S. Anderson far away from this. If you're going to develop a TV series, get a new voice to write it.

Koby 01-24-19 07:00 PM

I kind of wish this was a CG anime like the three movies: Degeneration, Damnation, and Vendetta... which fill in gaps between the games and are considered canon.

But if they can't go that route, then adapting the games, or some other side stories like the Outbreak games, would be nice.

Don't want a repeat of the live-action movies that just completely alter the universe and change things on a whim.

dex14 02-04-20 05:38 PM

We haven’t heard a heck of a lot about Netflix’s adaptation of Capcom’s Resident Evil franchise for the service since last year, but according to Redanian Intelligence, a fan site that worked to uncover information on The Witcher Netflix series, that’s about to change this summer when the Constantin Film-developed series begins production.Now keep in mind, this hasn’t been confirmed, but with Redanian Intelligence’s work on finding info about The Witcher series before and after its release, there might be something to it. According to a production entry for the RE series, aside from production beginning in June, the show is set to be eight episodes, with each being 60-minutes in length. Prior to the June start date, the series’ on-location prep work will begin in April, with the main hub of production being based in South Africa.

https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....740%2C38&ssl=1

Again, this hasn’t been confirmed by either Netflix or Constantin Film. However, with the remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis being right around the corner, and with the success of The Witcher‘s transition from game to Netflix, it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch if someone finally said something about the production in an official capacity.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/360...ccording-leak/

So is that movie reboot with Johannes Roberts directing still going forward too? Or has that turned into this?

Groucho 02-04-20 06:22 PM

I’m eager to see who they cast as the iconic character “Alice”

Kdogg 02-04-20 08:40 PM

Rich Germans have to get their tax credits somewhere.

starseed1981 02-05-20 08:40 AM

I'd watch it.

Deftones 06-11-21 02:10 PM

Lance Reddick :up:

IBJoel 06-11-21 03:30 PM

Interesting they went with Reddick (who is awesome) and sounds like an interesting take on the series. It will take place in two timelines: one in the relative present, one in the future with only 15 million people left on Earth

Runaway 06-12-21 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13944435)
Interesting they went with Reddick (who is awesome) and sounds like an interesting take on the series. It will take place in two timelines: one in the relative present, one in the future with only 15 million people left on Earth

It's a good choice since the tweet suggests the show is called RESIDENT EVIL: LANCE.

dex14 03-17-22 08:08 AM

The horrors of Resident Evil will haunt Netflix this summer as the streamer unveils the premiere date for its upcoming live-action series based on the popular video game franchise. The series hails from showrunner Andrew Dabb, who executive produces and writes.

Set to debut on July 14, Resident Evil takes place in the year 2036. 14 years after a deadly virus caused a global apocalypse, Jade Wesker fights for survival in a world overrun by the blood-thirsty infected and insane creatures. In this absolute carnage, Jade is haunted by her past in New Raccoon City, by her father’s chilling connections to the Umbrella Corporation but mostly by what happened to her sister, Billie.

The series stars Lance Reddick as Albert Wesker alongside Ella Balinska, Tamara Smart, Siena Agudong, Adeline Rudolph and Paola Nuñez. Additional cast members are Ahad Raza Mir, Connor Gossatti and Turlough Convery.

Dabb executive produces and writes with Mary Leah Sutton. Robert Kulzer and Oliver Berben of Constantin Film also serve as executive producers. Constantin Film CEO Martin Moszkowicz produces and Constantin Film is the studio.

The live-action series will be the streamer’s second foray into the Resident Evil universe. The first was the animate series Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness, which starred video game voice actors Nick Apostolides and Stephanie Panisello. Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness debuted in July 2021.
https://deadline.com/2022/03/netflix...rt-1234980812/

DJariya 05-12-22 11:23 AM

Re: Resident Evil (Netflix) -- premieres 7/14/22

candyrocket786 05-12-22 12:54 PM

:lol:.... why even bother at this point? No wonder they are losing subs.

Koby 05-12-22 01:07 PM

deleted

Why So Blu? 05-13-22 09:27 PM

Wow, another teaser. Two teasers in two days. As much as I loathed Raccoon City, I am now officially interested in this. The scene of the girl revving up the chainsaw reminds me of a scene in REC 3.

TomOpus 05-14-22 02:17 AM

I know I'm suppose to preemptively hate it but I think it looks okay. If the storyline is interesting, might be a fun watch.

Troy Stiffler 05-14-22 03:50 PM

If they keep trying, they have to get it right someday.

RichC2 05-14-22 09:39 PM

imo (an unpopular opinion) the games aren't that great, from a gameplay or story perspective. They had some okay jump scares and good atmosphere. It isn't that amazing to me that there hasn't been a good adaptation of it yet. This looks sufficiently fun.

DJariya 06-06-22 12:08 PM

Full trailer

randian 06-08-22 10:13 AM

Still not clear on how turning your customers into monsters who don't pay you a dime is good for business.

Mike86 06-08-22 11:13 AM

Looks okay I guess. Kind of just seems like a lot of other shows in the same sort of genre. Might give it a chance though.

Mike86 07-13-22 11:00 AM

This comes out tomorrow. Kind of interested in checking it out.

RichC2 07-13-22 11:03 AM

7/10 from IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/residen...review-netflix

Sitting at a 55% Fresh Rating: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/resident_evil/s01

Not many reviews yet but the negative ones are of the middling variety (2.5 out of 5, C-) instead of all out bashing, which isn't bad for Resident Evil :lol:

Mike86 07-13-22 11:23 AM

I do wish there would just be a good straight up adaptation of the games though. That’s why I had hopes for Welcome to Raccoon City, and that went close to that direction but tried to condense it and butchered some of the characters.