Resident Evil series in works at Netflix

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-24-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/01/residen...ix-1202541277/

EXCLUSIVE: Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all ofResident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and “easter eggs.”

The Resident Evil film franchise, launched with the 2002 Resident Evil, consists of six movies to date, produced by Constantin, which had acquired the rights to the video game series, and distributed by Screen Gems. The franchise has cumulatively earned $1.2 billion worldwide to date to rank as the highest-grossing film series ever based on a video game.

Paul W. S. Anderson was behind the six-movie series, which starred Milla Jovovich and wrapped in 2016 with Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Since then, Constantin Film brass have discussed plans to reboot the franchise, including as a TV series. Last month, the company hired Johannes Roberts to write and direct a potential feature Resident Evilreboot with a new cast.
Old 01-24-19, 06:09 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
re: Resident Evil series in works at Netflix

Wow.
Old 01-24-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Personally, they need to make this completely different than the movies. The movies are fine for what they are, but they are definitely not longform quality.
Old 01-24-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

Keep Paul W.S. Anderson far away from this. If you're going to develop a TV series, get a new voice to write it.
Old 01-24-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kind of wish this was a CG anime like the three movies: Degeneration, Damnation, and Vendetta... which fill in gaps between the games and are considered canon.

But if they can't go that route, then adapting the games, or some other side stories like the Outbreak games, would be nice.

Don't want a repeat of the live-action movies that just completely alter the universe and change things on a whim.
Old 02-04-20, 05:38 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Resident Evil series in works at Netflix

We haven’t heard a heck of a lot about Netflix’s adaptation of Capcom’s Resident Evil franchise for the service since last year, but according to Redanian Intelligence, a fan site that worked to uncover information on The Witcher Netflix series, that’s about to change this summer when the Constantin Film-developed series begins production.Now keep in mind, this hasn’t been confirmed, but with Redanian Intelligence’s work on finding info about The Witcher series before and after its release, there might be something to it. According to a production entry for the RE series, aside from production beginning in June, the show is set to be eight episodes, with each being 60-minutes in length. Prior to the June start date, the series’ on-location prep work will begin in April, with the main hub of production being based in South Africa.

Again, this hasn’t been confirmed by either Netflix or Constantin Film. However, with the remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis being right around the corner, and with the success of The Witcher‘s transition from game to Netflix, it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch if someone finally said something about the production in an official capacity.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/360...ccording-leak/

So is that movie reboot with Johannes Roberts directing still going forward too? Or has that turned into this?
Old 02-04-20, 06:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I’m eager to see who they cast as the iconic character “Alice”
Old 02-04-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rich Germans have to get their tax credits somewhere.
Old 02-05-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd watch it.