Arrow (S7E10) -- "My Name is Emiko Queen" -- 1/21/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-21-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MONDAY, JANUARY 21

ARROW

"My Name is Emiko Queen" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

OLIVER RETURNS TO HIS REGULAR LIFE IN STAR CITY - Oliver (Stephen Amell) is ready to get back to work with the SCPD and to focus on his marriage with Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards). However, when Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) tasks Oliver with tracking the new Green Arrow (Sea Shimooka) things take a surprising turn. Meanwhile, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Lyla (guest star Audrey Marie Anderson) must answer to ARGUS about Diaz (Kirk Acevedo). Andi Armaganian directed the episode written by Benjamin Raab & Deric A. Hughes (#710). Original airdate 1/21/2019.

Old 01-22-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Arrow (S7E10) -- "My Name is Emiko Queen" -- 1/21/19

I gave it one more episode, but I am out after seven seasons. Giving Oliver a half-sister he didn't know about is the exact type of lame plot device shows in their seventh season resort to for new arcs.

The CW is insane if they attempt to renew this without Amell around.
Old 01-22-19, 04:19 PM

Yea. This is past it’s expiration date. It’s time to end it. Roll some of the characters on to The Flash. Have The Flash be the anchor for another three seasons or so before moving into something else.
Old 01-22-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they don't end the show with Amell's exit, I'm not gonna keep watching it. Hopefully this is the last season.
Old 01-22-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was excruciatingly bad. Possibly the poorest written and worst acted episode of the series thus far. Itís just so awful. And itís crazy that the main character has been abandoned on his own show. Itís tjme for this one to sail off into the sunset.
Old 01-22-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
If they don't end the show with Amell's exit, I'm not gonna keep watching it. Hopefully this is the last season.
It's not the last season since the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover for all intents and purposes unofficially says all the DC shows will be back next Fall.

It's the last year of Amell's contract, so they would have to sign him and the rest of the original cast to new deals.
Old 01-22-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It's not the last season since the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover for all intents and purposes unofficially says all the DC shows will be back next Fall.

It's the last year of Amell's contract, so they would have to sign him and the rest of the original cast to new deals.
That doesn't mean all the shows have to actually still be on the air, or even that Green Arrow is involved in the cross-over further. After all we still have the secret deal Oliver made which could easily be written to be the reason he doesn't appear in it if he doesn't sign on to stick around or make an appearance on the cross-over.
Old 01-23-19, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the feeling they were trying to transition the show to Emiko. The actress playing her seemed a bit wooden at first, but it is her first episode. I'm not sure what new tricks they could play in Emiko's storyline if they haven't been able to come up with anything new for Oliver's (unless that was on purpose). On a personal note, I was happy to know who she was from the comics, having read about her in Green Arrow Rebirth.
Old 01-23-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amell has already stated on his Facebook that if they get an 8th season he is signed for it. We just have to cross our fingers that this one is cancelled and not saved by Netflix haha.
Old 01-23-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amell went on some podcast a few months back and hinted he's more up for a few "guest" appearances next season than being a full lead. This season is obviously preparing for that eventuality with a reduced focus on Oliver and multiple arcs away from his character. The grind of carrying a CW show as its star year after year gets to almost everyone, unless you decide to make Canada your home like Sam and Dean did on Supernatural. It's fine when you are a nobody at 26 and get signed as your first network gig. After a few years of making real money, it becomes draining.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 01-24-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 12:15 PM

Yeah, not a fan of Arrow minus Arrow episodes and please why a reboot of Suicide Squad just to keep the Dragon about? Double meh. Even the future with Bad Dog Mayor was meh ... Huh 3 mehs and you're out?
Old 01-24-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Amell went on some podcast a few months back and hinted he's more up for a few "guest" appearances next season than being a full lead.
Probably in flashbacks. What I think they are doing is flipping the show. Right now in present day we are seeing how the future flash forwards came to be. They won't finish the story this season. Next season will be a time jump with the future being present day and flash backs to fill in how they got there.
Old 01-24-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't think this was as God awful as some of you alluded. But, it was a strange episode, especially with the flash forward of Rene being the mayor of Star City in the future. That was really weird, especially his awful wig.

I know 7 seasons in, some might roll their eyes at the introduction of a 1/2 sister, but I'm not really that surprised with the Robert Queen character. He was an rich, arrogant philanderer. Before he killed himself, he told Oliver that he wanted him to make amends for his past sins.

Now I'm not too sure that Felicity is actually dead in the future. They keep saying she is.
Old 01-24-19, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Probably in flashbacks. What I think they are doing is flipping the show. Right now in present day we are seeing how the future flash forwards came to be. They won't finish the story this season. Next season will be a time jump with the future being present day and flash backs to fill in how they got there.
This is what I suspect as well.
Old 01-27-19, 08:23 PM

Iíve given up on all the CW shows I just wasnít enjoying any of them anymore. The arrow flash forwards were tedious and all the characters have become insufferable. The only series I can remotely tolerate anymore is Legends but I donít miss now watching it
Old 01-27-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That was a totally pointless episode. When does Oliver find out he has an evil twin?
Old 01-27-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I gave it one more episode, but I am out after seven seasons. Giving Oliver a half-sister he didn't know about is the exact type of lame plot device shows in their seventh season resort to for new arcs.

The CW is insane if they attempt to renew this without Amell around.
You realize this is a comic book show right? It was also a "lame plot device" of the comics since this is where they are getting it from. I am less and less a fan of this show as time goes on, but I don't get your complaint. Of all the things this show has done, this seems to be the most realistic.