Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

https://deadline.com/2019/01/netflix...vy-1202537462/

Yes!!!

EXCLUSIVE: Unsolved Mysteries is back after Netflix revived the long-running true crime and paranormal franchise.

The series, which was hosted by Robert Stack and ran for over 500 episodes between 1987 and 2010, is being refreshed by Stranger Things EP Shawn Levy and his company 21 Laps Entertainment and Netflix.

I hear that Levy is overseeing the revamp in association with Cosgrove-Meurer Productions, the original production company run by the show’s creators John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer. The latter will show run the series with Cosgrove, Levy and Josh Barry as exec producers. Robert Wise is co-exec producer and showrunner with Dunn Meurer.

The 12-part show will use re-enactments in a documentary format to profile real-life mysteries and unsolved crimes, lost love, cases involving missing persons and unexplained paranormal events. Each episode will focus on one mystery. In the original series, actors played the victims, criminals and witnesses but family members and police were regularly interviewed.

Unsolved Mysteries ran on NBC between 1987 and 1997 and CBS picked it up for two years after it was cancelled. Lifetime aired a number of new episodes in 2001/2002 and Spike also picked it up between 2008 and 2010 with Dennis Farina replacing Stack following The Untouchables actor’s death in 2003.

Cosgrove and Meurer have been keen to revamp the show for some time and have kept an updated web presence for the show with new cases. In a Reddit AMA in August 2017, Cosgrove said, “We are actively talking to a couple of broadcasters who have shown interest, and we’re very optimistic that we’ll have something by way of new episodes by the end of the year. It’s too early to go into much detail, but we’ve had our research producers look into possible stories, and they’ve found some excellent ones which can be ready to go quickly.”

The order is the latest high-profile Netflix series for Levy’s 21 Laps Entertainment. The company produces four shows for the SVOD service after signing an exclusive multi-year deal in December 2017; Stranger Things, which recently wrapped its third season, Shadow and Bone, an eight-episode series based on Leigh Bardugo’s bestselling Shadow and Bone and Six of Crow Grishaverse fantasy novels, from Bird Box writer Eric Heisserer and I Am Not Okay With This, created by The End of the F***king World’s Jonathan Entwistle and Christy Hall.
Old 01-18-19, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
re: Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

They should have Kevin Spacey host this as "Frank Underwood" just to mix things up a bit.
Old 01-18-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

This is electrifying news! But the original can't be replicated. I'm interested to see what they do with the concept 30 years later. They can't bring back the wonderfully atmospheric, earnest presence of Stack, and I'm sure they won't use the amazing score from the early series, so I think the show won't really resemble the one we all remember so well and love so much.
I don't get Netflix, so I'll find another way to watch it.
Old 01-18-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

The official Netflix press release:
  • The wildly successful and first-of-its-kind mystery docuseries Unsolved Mysteries is being revived by the original creators (Cosgrove/Meurer Productions) along with the producers of Stranger Things (21 Laps).
  • This modern take on the classic series will maintain the chilling feeling viewers loved about the original, while also telling the stories through the lens of a premium Netflix documentary series. Each episode will focus on one mystery and once again will look to viewers to help aid investigators in closing the book on long outstanding cases.
  • Terry Dunn Meurer is showrunning this all-new version of the show she co-created with fellow EP John Cosgrove.
  • Shawn Levy and Josh Barry are executive producing for 21 Laps.
  • The original Unsolved Mysteries ran for 11 seasons and 260 episodes chronicling over 1,000 stories, and received six Emmy nominations.
  • Episodes: 12 episodes
  • Unsolved Mysteries is a Netflix production.
  • Co-Creator / Showrunner / Executive Producer: Terry Dunn Meurer
  • Co-Creator / Executive Producer: John Cosgrove
  • Executive Producers: Shawn Levy, Josh Barry
  • Co-Executive Producer / Showrunner: Robert Wise

I could see this coming out by late Summer or Fall. I don't think producing this show is as intensive as a scripted drama. Plus, I read that Cosgrove/Meurer productions already has stories ready to be filmed. They just need to find the right host/narrator.
Old 01-19-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Definitely interested but they really need a good host/narrator. Stack was so perfect for it. I liked Dennis Farina as an actor, but he was just okay in the revival that aired on Spike TV for a while.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-19-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Okay - will they do "legitimate" stories or goofy paranormal stuff? The original did a mix of both, if memory serves.
Old 01-19-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually kinda liked that the original did a mixture. Like the Lost Loves or Strange Legends segments were good. Some of the UFO and more paranormal stuff was interesting.
Old 01-20-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I liked Dennis Farina as an actor, but he was just okay in the revival that aired on Spike TV for a while.
I LOATHE the Dennis Farina version. Other than legal issue (like they didn't want to pay royalties to Stack's estate?), I don't understand the reasoning behind it. He just redid the Robert Stack narration and filmed new intros in that stupid "command center" set. Most of the "updated" info about the cases was woefully out of date (as in they hadn't checked on any of these people since the original NBC airings). Just lazy all around.

By removing the original music and Stack's creepy narration, it just became a bland show. I could easily sit down and binge watch a marathon of the original Stack episodes, but Farina's narration caused me to zone out for some reason. My mind would just wander off to other things before I finally changed the channel.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-20-19 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-20-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joe_b
I LOATHE the Dennis Farina version. Other than legal issue (like they didn't want to pay royalties to Stack's estate?), I don't understand the reasoning behind it. He just redid the Robert Stack narration and filmed new intros in that stupid "command center" set. Most of the "updated" info about the cases was woefully out of date (as in they hadn't checked on any of these people since the original NBC airings. Just lazy all around.

By removing the original music and Stack's creepy narration, it just became a bland show. I could easily sit down and binge watch a marathon of the original Stack episodes, but Farina's narration caused me to zone out for some reason. My mind would just wander off to other things before I finally changed the channel.
John Cosgrove from what I recall said that the Spike TV version with Farina was designed that way at the request of the network. They wanted to make the show more glitzy and younger to fit Spike's demographic. But yeah all it did was re-package old stories with new stand-ups by Farina. The busy command center was a joke as we all know they many many shows in advance and never had a live presence like the old days.

I don't know if you're aware, but all of Robert Stack's episodes are on Amazon Prime (12 seasons) A few episodes here and there had to be removed for legal reasons.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing how they format this new version.
Old 01-20-19, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think most of the Farina episodes were just re-done Stack episodes, but I think there were some new segments too. They also added updates to some segments. I overall agree it wasn't great but I still watched it because at the time that was the only way to watch it at all other than the DVDs (which I do have some of the sets).
Old 01-20-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually kinda liked that the original did a mixture. Like the Lost Loves or Strange Legends segments were good. Some of the UFO and more paranormal stuff was interesting.
I agree that some of the non-crime material was good. For instance, when people were looking for Good Samaritans who had helped them, I always found those moving, especially when they were reunited.
However the many segments about purported miracles and ancient lost treasures in Wild West canyons bored me to tears.
Originally Posted by joe_b
I LOATHE the Dennis Farina version. Other than legal issue (like they didn't want to pay royalties to Stack's estate?), I don't understand the reasoning behind it. He just redid the Robert Stack narration and filmed new intros in that stupid "command center" set. Most of the "updated" info about the cases was woefully out of date (as in they hadn't checked on any of these people since the original NBC airings). Just lazy all around.

I agree, the reboot was pretty close to complete rubbish.
Old 01-21-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I think these guys would be good potential hosts:

Terry O'Quinn
Lance Henriksen
Dennis Haysbert
Lance Reddick
I guess Bill Kurtis could be good too if they have to go with a non-actor

Even if they hire a working actor, it wouldn't be a huge time commitment. They just have to record voice overs for maybe a few weeks along with some on camera stand ups.
Old 01-22-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I agree that some of the non-crime material was good. For instance, when people were looking for Good Samaritans who had helped them, I always found those moving, especially when they were reunited.
However the many segments about purported miracles and ancient lost treasures in Wild West canyons bored me to tears.
Yeah, the stuff about people in search of someone like a good samaritan or a lost love were usually good. They were done in a way where they had interesting or sad backstories which made them compelling and made you want to see them resolved. I liked the segments about miracles and treasures too though. Stack could make the cheesiest stuff interesting even if I thought it was a crock. He had the ability to really sell every segment and make them all seem important. He really was a fantastic host.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-22-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think these guys would be good potential hosts:

Terry O'Quinn
Lance Henriksen
Dennis Haysbert
Lance Reddick
I guess Bill Kurtis could be good too if they have to go with a non-actor

Even if they hire a working actor, it wouldn't be a huge time commitment. They just have to record voice overs for maybe a few weeks along with some on camera stand ups.
Terry O'Quinn
Lance Henriksen

Those would be great choices, though Henriksen isn't getting any younger. He's probably too old to host these days.
Old 01-22-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw someone suggest Jonathan Banks, who I think could be an interesting choice but I don’t think it’ll ever happen. He’s got his gig still on Better Call Saul. He’s got that gruff voice and kinda has the look for a show like this. Dennis Haysbert could be good too.
Old 01-22-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stack could make the cheesiest stuff interesting even if I thought it was a crock. He had the ability to really sell every segment and make them all seem important. He really was a fantastic host.
Yes, Stack is pretty much irreplaceable. I still think Stacy Keach would be good. He hosted "Missing: Reward" in the early '90s.
Old 01-22-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He had that voice that just fit. Like it would be mysterious and creepy as needed, but it could also be warm as needed for the lighter hearted segments. That and he just had a good look. He looked like an old school detective from old noir type films with the long raincoats and suits.
Old 01-22-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

The choice of host and choice of the "mysteries" will determine if I'll care enough to watch this or not. I only watched the original show occasionally, so I don't have much nostalgic/emotional investment in this.
Old 01-22-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He had that voice that just fit. Like it would be mysterious and creepy as needed, but it could also be warm as needed for the lighter hearted segments. That and he just had a good look. He looked like an old school detective from old noir type films with the long raincoats and suits.
Completely agree, and as you wrote earlier, his sincerity was clear to see. The only thing I didn't like about his look was the obviously dyed hair, but somehow it wouldn't have been the same if he had had grey hair.

We would be remiss if we didn't mention the theme music. I know they won't, but it would be great if they just used the original. The score is as essential to the show as Stack.
Old 01-22-19, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

For me the scariest thing about the original series remains Robert Stack; nothing like a shot of a dark arched alleyway and BAM! out of nowhere comes a guy in a trench-coat telling you about a UFO sighting.
Old 01-23-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Stack simply felt out of time on the original, like we were witnessing a man from a different era host the show. He played it like someone delivering the news in the 1950s or 1960s, which added a whole element of gravitas to the mysteries.
Old 01-23-19, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's weird to think that I knew him first as the voice of Ultra Magnus on Transformers. The no-nonsense soldier who put everyone before himself.
Old 01-24-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
We would be remiss if we didn't mention the theme music. I know they won't, but it would be great if they just used the original. The score is as essential to the show as Stack.
The music was amazing. I actually recently found out there’s a vinyl release of some of the themes from the show that I want to grab eventually.

I’ll never forget this one night I had fallen asleep on my couch and I had on whatever channel was airing re-runs at the time (probably Lifetime ), all the sudden I woke up to the blaring loudness of the theme song. Scared the hell out of me Some of the segments on the show could be damn creepy. It was one of the only shows that sometimes made me afraid watching it even during the day.
Old 01-24-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, the music can send chills up one's spine, as does Stack's narration. I haven't watched the show in ages, but among the scariest segments I can remember:
-The still-unsolved double-murder in the rest stop near Blind River, Ont. A survivor crawled under a camper and saw everything unfold. Then the psychopath swerved out of the rest stop onto the highway, almost hitting another motorist.
-Angela Hammond kidnapping. Small-town Missouri. After work, Angela Hammond phones her boyfriend from the town square. While on the phone she notices a creepy guy in a pickup truck parking nearby. She gives a description to the boyfriend, then he hears a scream over the phone. He races to the scene, just a few blocks from his house, but in the rush to catch up to the pickup he messes up his transmission, and his last views of Hammond are through the back window of the pickup, of her struggling with her abductor. She has never been found, and the kidnapper has not been identified.
-The triple-homicide of ATVers on Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga. Killer was arrested and convicted.
Old 01-25-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's been so long since I've seen the Stack series, but didn't they do a lot of "re-creations" with actors? I'm not sure that "works" in today's TV world...I'd rather see actual footage/interviews with those involved, the way 48 Hours and Dateline do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.