Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

I agree that the original was good because it mixed true crime mysteries with the paranormal. The mixture gave the latter a sense of legitimacy, while it gave the former an even creepier quality. Plus, the intro, narrator and score made the show.
Old 07-05-20, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I haven’t watch the new one yet aside from some clips. Still need to. The vibe I get though is pretty much like I expected. It’s just another true crime show called Unsolved Mysteries.
Old 07-05-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finished the season. Not much to theorize on the last episode. They all know what happened. Just can’t prove it.

Overall season grade: B-

Production value is good. The mysteries aren’t that great. Only the first episode mystery was worthy.

They have deep fake audio these days. They can make a Robert Stack deep fake narration haha
Old 07-05-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay so I just watched the first episode. It’s not bad. Different from the original but still well done. Part of me does still wish that the episodes at least were in the format of the original show with more than one case per episode. On the other hand it does allow for a more in depth look at the case.

Spoiler:
I feel like Rey had to be the victim of foul play. Suicide makes no sense from the evidence or any accounts of people who knew him. Just a very odd case.

Odd in that there’s no real evidence. No one saw him at The Belvedere or near the area. His car didn’t seem to be broken into and it didn’t seem like a struggle happened. The glasses and cell phone being in pristine condition after he supposedly fell. Seems likely that he knew and trusted the person who killed him. Have to believe it was someone he worked with. Especially when you consider the gag order put on the people he worked with.

One thing I was thinking is did they ever tie anyone from Rey’s workplace to The Belvedere or surrounding area? Maybe someone had a condo there or knew a person who lived there or possibly a client lived or worked in the building. I suppose it’s hard to gather the information without anyone talking though.
Old 07-05-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Thread title should be updated, there's no host.

I knocked out all 6 episodes. Good enough to keep me watching. I was most moved by the French one, the guy murdering his entire family and is still on the run.
Old 07-06-20, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
The 4th episode was okay. Not really my favorite. It was about a young black man who disappeared after attending a party and about a month later was found dead. They suspect it was a hate crime because he ran into trouble at the party.

This case has been cold since about 2004. I don't think this one will be able to be solved. They just don't have much to go on.
I agree with you, except this case could also be extremely easy to solve....

All of the participants, including the victim are still very young. All it takes is for someone that was at the party to develop a conscience, or get in trouble for another crime, and someone will talk eventually.

I think the man on the roof was a suicide.
Regarding the missing witness one, I think it's likely that either the mother or her boyfriend killed the daughter, but they need evidence.

Last edited by diesteldorf; 07-06-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-06-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I think the man on the roof was a suicide.
Regarding the missing witness one, I think it's likely that either the mother or her boyfriend killed the daughter, but they need evidence.
Spoiler:
I just think that’s way too easy of an answer. Especially with the company he worked for putting a gag order on its employees. Why would they do that, especially when it’s one of his supposed best friends? Also the glasses and phone being in tact. How would they not have gotten crunched or damaged during his fall? The only thing that strikes me as odd about Rey himself is that note a bit. Thing is though that’s just more of a weird cryptic type message and doesn’t really shout suicide. Plus if it was a suicide note it was left in a place where it wasn’t easy to find without someone really looking.
Old 07-06-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
I just think that’s way too easy of an answer. Especially with the company he worked for putting a gag order on its employees. Why would they do that, especially when it’s one of his supposed best friends? Also the glasses and phone being in tact. How would they not have gotten crunched or damaged during his fall? The only thing that strikes me as odd about Rey himself is that note a bit. Thing is though that’s just more of a weird cryptic type message and doesn’t really shout suicide. Plus if it was a suicide note it was left in a place where it wasn’t easy to find without someone really looking.

the note was probably his list of login/passwords, in cryptic form
Old 07-06-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
the note was probably his list of login/passwords, in cryptic form
That could very well be for some of it. Hoping that the shows sheds some light on the case and that there’s an update. I’ll give the show credit it’s already got me to keep on thinking of possibilities of what could have happened to him. Just a really strange case.
Old 07-09-20, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

The 3rd one really threw me off that it was all in French. I thought something messed up with my Netflix.

Of all of them the first 3 were good, the rest were meh
Old 07-09-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unrelated to the cases but I have to say I’m happy that the show adds a little homage to Robert Stack with his image being at the end of the opening credits. The remixed theme isn’t bad either. Doesn’t have the same creepy factor as the original theme though.
Old 07-10-20, 11:45 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

We just watched the first episode and it was really well made. Compelling and I liked how they did it. I'm not a big fan of crime shows, either fiction or nonfiction, but I have a soft spot for the brand and although this is very different than the original I like what I'm seeing so far.

I'm with MLBFan24's theory on what happened from the first episode.

Um, Nesbit, do you have an update to your post? What happened?!
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (07-11-20)
Old 07-11-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, MLBFan24’s theory seems plausible to me for the Rey Rivera case as well. I wonder if somehow authorities were able to get the information needed from Porter’s company if they could still go back and trace who made that call to Rey so that person could be brought in for questioning.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (07-11-20)
Old 07-11-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I thought most were sort of blah. I had high hopes for this but maybe the next go round will be better.
Old 07-19-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched episodes two and three last night.

Spoiler:
second episode was pretty good. Rob feels off to me and I feel like he had something to do with what happened to Patrice. The husband always seems like a suspect, but he said some weird stuff at the end. He sounded very possessive while she was alive, and with what he said at the end about now she’s his or however he said it.

Also I feel like there was a lot of weirdness with him and Pistol. Like I get being irritated by a teenager, but after sixteen years and he’s still carrying a grudge and won’t let the kid get anything of his mom’s. Coupled with the fact that he immediately changed the locks to the doors and shut the kid out. Just weird behavior in my opinion.

Rob may not have killed her, but he could have had someone do it for him.

Spoiler:
the third episode is cut and dry if you ask me. Xavier couldn’t live with being a failure to his family so kills them all. Only questions are how was there no blood in the rooms and where is he now? It’s really more a case of if he disappeared and committed suicide/died somehow or if he’s still out there somewhere in hiding. I feel like he’ll be almost impossible to ever find if he’s out there.
Old 07-21-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Small update to the Alonzo Brooks case. His body was dug up after a bunch of tips were called in. The FBI has called it a hate crime and reopened the cold case. Plus, before the show aired, the reward went up to $100,000.
Old 07-25-20, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wondering if Alonzo was involved in a fight which led to him being knocked out (maybe thought to be dead by his attacker/attackers) and he was put into a freezer where he froze to death. He had been drinking and may have not woken up from being hungover, and on top of it if he was attacked it wouldn’t help matters.

Kinda makes sense to me since there weren’t any markings or stab or gunshot wounds. Plus the idea of him being kept in a freezer was suggested on the show.
Old 07-30-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished the first season last night. Overall I liked it well enough. The mysteries are a mixed bag. I felt like the first two episodes were the most intriguing.

The other episodes were still decent, but more cases where it seems obvious what happened and it’s more a matter of proving what happened for closure. Then there’s the UFO one, which a person either is going to believe or not.

Still not bad and I’ll watch the next batch when they’re released. Six episodes seems like a good amount. It’s not too much and leaves a person wanting more.
Old 08-20-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

2nd half of season (6 EPs) hits Oct 19th
Old 08-21-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice! Looking forward to some more episodes.
Old 10-08-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Preview for the 2nd half of the season

October 19th it drops.
Old 10-19-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 2 premieres today.

I watched the first episode and that is a complete head scratcher to me. I have NO theories for that case.

If I think it's one thing, something else odd about the case contradicts my guess.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 10-30-20 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It still for the most part feels like a crime show. It doesn't evoke that sense of mystery. I think the problem is that each episode has a singular focus and too much exposition.
Old 10-19-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I had no idea these new episodes were dropped. Nice surprise.
Old 10-20-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Man, the first of the new season is really sloppy and jumping through all kinds of hoops. Jack's case really isn't that big a mystery IMO, if you think about it ...
Spoiler:
Disoriented and delusional due to a manic episode, he crawls into a dumpster for warmth. Then it's picked up and he's crushed inside the garbage truck before being dumped at the landfill. Tragic and very sad, but not a murder, and certainly not a professional hit.
Even the walking around without a shoe makes sense in this case. I have a bipolar friend who always takes off her shoes when she's having an episode. Likewise they say he frequently loses hos damn car, but the lost briefcase is unfathomable?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.