DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646489-unsolved-mysteries-returns-netflix-premieres-7-1-20-a.html)

MLBFan24 10-24-20 08:34 PM

Re: Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

Episode 2.5
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, season one had an episode where the police thought the person committed suicide, while others thought hate crime (house party episode).

In this episode, the police think the mother committed suicide. I think it was an abduction by someone she knew. I believe the witnesses who say that the car was gone from the parking lot when they left the church, but it returned later. If that’s the case, a random attacker isn’t going to return the car after a carjacking/robbery.

Episode 2.6
Spoiler:
Oh damn, this episode was hard to watch and really sad. I can’t even imagine being a parent who has a child taken from them. I agree it’s most likely people taking children to raise them, in these Harlem cases. I think they should do a spin-off series focused on missing children.

Deftones 10-24-20 08:40 PM

The ghost one was terrible. I too am surprised they haven't run that one unidentified woman's DNA through those ancestry databases. That one screams spy stuff.

d2cheer 10-27-20 08:18 AM

Another ho-hum set. Oh well. None of them really grabbed me. But the case of the gal the police say committed suicide does not seem right. They are always so damn stubborn on these types of cases.

Mike86 10-27-20 11:25 AM

Spoiler:
To me the fourth episode wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t much of a mystery really. Past ghost episodes have been better in my opinion. It was definitely a sad episode though.

I think the lady in episode five was probably killed because of her brother’s business problems. My guess is that maybe whoever killed her intended to scare her to get to the brother, but wound up killing her.

The sixth episode is sad. Unfortunately sounds like some carelessness on behalf of the parents in both cases.

Overall I liked the first two episodes the best.

story 10-30-20 12:21 AM

I kind of wondered if an explanation for the ghosts is simply...
Spoiler:
...an elaborate ruse by young people posing as ghosts to give everyone a little thrill. Like, not a prank, and nothing malicious, but people pretending as a sort of LARP adventure that plays on people's desires to see ghosts and be helpful and friendly. I don't know, it just felt like most of the encounters seemed like regular people with odd behavior.

story 10-30-20 02:08 PM

Episode 2.5 The Lade in the Lake

Compelling episode, and I know drone shots are getting cliche, the new "toy" of TV, but wow, this episode was beautifully shot.

The police work was very sloppy. Yes, there are a lot of bits and pieces of evidence that don't paint a full picture, but certainly not the picture they think. Occam's Razor is not the solution here.
Spoiler:
I think their hypothesis about the brother's trouble coming to her is spot-on. There are a few pieces of speculation the family makes that feels like 20/20 hindsight but she was clearly cleared, not suicide. Bad police work.

story 10-30-20 02:57 PM

Episode 2.6 is very sad, absolutely. While I think they were taken, I don't know about the "ring" theory.

Mike86 10-31-20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13833127)
Episode 2.6 is very sad, absolutely. While I think they were taken, I don't know about the "ring" theory.

Yeah. I’m not really sure that two kids constitutes that theory. I think both were more situations where the kid wasn’t being properly watched. Sad nonetheless, but the parents in both situations should have been keeping a more watchful eye.

The second kid though it was odd that two other kids wanted to play with him and after the mom’s hesitation to let him that’s when he disappeared. I’m guessing those kids were baited somehow to get him and take him to whoever it was that took him.

Mike86 09-01-21 02:08 PM

The Unsolved Mysteries Facebook page announced that volume three is coming in Summer of 2022. It would be nice if there would be more episodes than normal given the extended wait between volumes two and three.

Gizmo 09-01-21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13978417)
The Unsolved Mysteries Facebook page announced that volume three is coming in Summer of 2022. It would be nice if there would be more episodes than normal given the extended wait between volumes two and three.

Well, COVID happened.

Mike86 09-01-21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13978555)
Well, COVID happened.

I realize that, but I’m just saying it would be nice to get some additional episodes. Only six episodes was pretty low to begin with.

The last batch of episodes debuted last October. It’ll be like a year and a half between volume two and three. Should be more than enough time.

Gizmo 09-01-21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13978559)
I realize that, but I’m just saying it would be nice to get some additional episodes. Only six episodes was pretty low to begin with.

The last batch of episodes debuted last October. It’ll be like a year and a half between volume two and three. Should be more than enough time.

It's been almost 2 years since the last season of Your and that's 10 episodes. Or almost 2 years for B99's 10. I'm sure we can keep going, but COVID screwed up a lot of things.

Mike86 09-01-21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13978570)
It's been almost 2 years since the last season of Your and that's 10 episodes. Or almost 2 years for B99's 10. I'm sure we can keep going, but COVID screwed up a lot of things.

I’m not denying COVID screwed things up. All I’m saying is it would be nice to get more episodes (if possible) since the wait has been longer.

Mike86 09-06-22 12:46 PM

Finally returning. I wasn’t sure if there was going to be more or if Netflix gave it the axe. Glad to see it’s coming back soon.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...21b5bb703.jpeg

MLBFan24 09-06-22 12:50 PM

Been anxiously awaiting for this to comeback. In the mean time, I've been listening to the Unsolved Mysteries podcast on the iHeart radio app.

Great 30-40 minute podcast episodes.

d2cheer 09-06-22 02:59 PM

Any been solved recently?

DJariya 10-04-22 06:11 PM

9 episode 3rd volume that will air over 3 weeks starting October 18th

Week 1 - October 18
Mystery at Mile Marker 45
Something in the Sky
Body in Bags

Week 2 - October 25
Death in a Vegas Motel
Paranormal Rangers
What Happened to Josh?

Week 3 - November 1
Body in the Bay
The Ghost in Apartment 14
Abducted by a Parent

MLBFan24 10-04-22 06:45 PM

Don’t care for the paranormal episodes, even though I believe in ghosts.

Trying to decipher the episode titles and make sure it’s not a “repeat” of the podcast episodes.

Mike86 10-18-22 05:53 PM

This is back with new episodes today. There’s going to be a total of nine episodes with three dropping today and three more for the next couple of weeks.

MLBFan24 10-18-22 09:40 PM

Thoughts on episode 3.1
Spoiler:
Seems like a valid mystery and not suicide. Definitely a group of people from the grad party know what happened.

Probably related to the girl’s credit card she fraudulently used. I imagine maybe 3 girls from the party assaulted her in retaliation, stabbed her, and placed her body on the train tracks. Whether they had the foresight that a train would be coming really soon is questionable. It just ended up that way and made a perfect cover story.

Mike86 10-18-22 10:27 PM

Spoiler:
First episode of season three seems to be one that’s bound to be a true mystery.

At first I thought maybe the family was in denial as to the reality that Tiffany committed suicide but as it went on some things don’t seem to make sense.

Big questions in my mind- why walk all that distance to commit suicide and also why would she have taken off a good amount of her clothing, especially her shoes?

Unfortunately it seems like a perfect storm of things going wrong to not be able to solve this case. Shoddy police work (really can’t believe the uncle and cousin had to go out and still pick up parts of her…).

Plus there’s no true leads or witnesses or anything to go off of and the fact that her body was cremated and there’s no way of doing any testing. I get that she was mangled by the train though but still.

I do wonder why the convenience store worker and the three kids weren’t re-questioned or given polygraph tests to see if they were being truthful. Also was anyone at the party who knew her questioned in regards to an argument?

The only other things I can think of- was the breakup actually as clean as thought or was there some bad feelings? Possibly something involving the new girlfriend or an ex-lover?

Really going to be a tough one to crack.

Mike86 10-19-22 12:22 PM

Spoiler:
So apparently the first episode from season three is missing a lot of details about Tiffany’s case. There are some Reddit threads about various bits of information as well as an article here:

https://screenrant.com/unsolved-myst...tails-missing/

Dan1boy 10-19-22 12:58 PM

I've been thinking about this first episode for a day now, truly perplexing mystery.

MLBFan24 10-19-22 09:55 PM

Episode 3.3 reaction:
Spoiler:
Similar to a previous episode, not much of a mystery and more of a fugitive case.

But I can imagine Tammy being in a new relationship. Her boyfriend fires up Netflix this week and decides to watch Unsolved Mysteries and is about to get the shock of his life….

I skipped 3.2. Don’t like the paranormal episodes. Maybe I’ll watch them after the other episodes drop.

d2cheer 10-20-22 09:33 PM

For 3.1 -her body was cremated -who made that decision the family? Why? IF you have questions that is your only hope is the autopsy. Lots of information left out as it want you to lean one way.

Lots of questions but I will go with suicide after getting more facts. The episode glossed over the money stealing. That alone could have been the reason and she was devastated at getting caught again...

MLBFan24 10-20-22 09:52 PM

I needed more Unsolved fix, so I ultimately decided to watch 3.2 (1994 UFO related)

It was stupid.

I believe in the possibility of life out there in the universe. I obviously believe there are “unidentified flying objects”. Doesn’t necessarily mean aliens, they are just unidentified.

But I’ve always hated UFO related documentaries. Maybe because of the cheap CGI and the repetitive “I saw these lights and they moved fast!” And that’s as far as it goes.

Mike86 10-20-22 11:32 PM

Spoiler:
Second episode of season three was okay. Not really a lot to say about it. Basically a standard fare paranormal episode. I didn’t mind it but not my favorite episode either.

MLBFan24 10-25-22 09:02 PM

I jumped to episode 3.6 (Disappearance of Joshua)
Spoiler:
Wow, some really good detective work in this one. From the Pontiac car, the Yahoo personals info, and the photo headshots they dropped in there (you’d probably hate to see yourself appear in an Unsolved Mysteries episode).

Joshua definitely tried to meet up with someone. Probably got a cell phone call from a mystery person and stepped outside the apartment party. I remember having a cell phone in 2002, so it’s possible.

He probably met his hookup on the bridge and…

MLBFan24 10-26-22 11:04 PM

Episode 3.5 (paranormal rangers)

No spoilers - it’s dumb, waste of time.

MLBFan24 10-28-22 01:21 PM

Episode 3.4 (Buffalo Jim)
Spoiler:
Sounds like there is a single valid theory, but they just can't prove the mob guy / Crazy Horse Too owner was involved. Definitely used a stripper to trick Buffalo Jim into taking some cut / laced cocaine and it was OD / lethal poison.

Mike86 10-29-22 10:30 PM

Spoiler:
Another good one. Like mentioned though really not a mystery but more of a fugitive case and needing help locating Tammy.

Regardless though a messed up story. David had to have been dead when DJ was at his apartment and he probably would have been killed or at least hurt if he went into the room.

Spoiler:
Another episode that’s not a full on mystery but more of a who done it. I mean it’s pretty clear that it was something with the mob, but actually proving that will probably be next to impossible.

Wondering if Buffalo Jim willingly took cocaine and it was way too strong or laced with something else or if it was forced into him (maybe he was held down or something).

Mike86 10-30-22 10:37 PM

Spoiler:
I didn’t dislike the episode. It’s another where it depends on what you believe. Personally it’s hard for me to discount anything that was said, but there also is no solid proof so who really knows.

Spoiler:
Very interesting episode. I feel like Katie and Nick probably weren’t involved. If so I don’t think they would be so willing and open to talk on the show.

The discrepancy between the time Katie said Nick left her place and when he said he left is the main thing, but that can be easily mistaken. Other than that if Joshua and Nick had a fight but they didn’t go much into that so I don’t think that was it.

The online dating profile seems like the most likely theory to me. Especially as mentioned in the show- if Joshua was posing as a female and met up with someone, maybe they got upset and killed him.

That or he just met someone that wound up not being safe and they did something to him. That just makes the most sense to me.

Like theorized above he probably received a call at the party and maybe went to hookup in secret and things took a turn.

MLBFan24 11-01-22 09:26 PM

3.7 (Body in the Bay)
Spoiler:
Damon - guilty! He for sure did it. I imagine Patrick Mullins noticed his friend in the bay, pulled up along side him, and caught Damon smoking some crystal meth.

Patrick probably tried to help Damon stop using meth in the moment (like a teacher would stop a student doing something bad). He was a librarian, so maybe he got in “teacher” mode.

Damon, in a high state, got mad and shot Patrick with the shotgun. The moment of shock “sobered” him up, did the unique boat rope tie, and disposed of the body with the anchor.

MLBFan24 11-02-22 09:21 PM

3.9 (Missing children):
Spoiler:
I really liked this one. Very sad, especially all the Missing headshots at the end. One of them said Wanted - 1988!

The mom whose kids are in Egypt probably has zero chance at seeing her kids again.

The Aziz case seems more likely to be solved. The justice system is slow as shit. Too much red tape.

MLBFan24 11-04-22 12:10 AM

3.8 (ghost paranormal):
Spoiler:
Yikes, this episode was all over the place.

Was it a paranormal ghost episode? Or a Marliz homicide episode? Or was it about the Girl in the Box incident that’s already been covered by other true crime shows? Choose one…

DJariya 11-04-22 12:36 AM

-eek- Yikes! Only 2 people are watching? I guess this new version of Unsolved Mysteries isn't really resonating with the guys here. I know its not the same show, but it still has the feel of it IMO.

I have been keeping up with most of season 3.

I'll mention a few of the ones I watched

Mystery of the Mile Marker 45 - I believe the young girl was murdered. However, I think this is a dead end case.

Body in Bags - Pretty compelling story. But the case lacks hard evidence and now the suspect won't talk. I don't think this one will be solved. It's kind of a creepy case with a horror element. I admire the victim's son. Strong kid.

Death in a Vegas Motel. - This story seems shady with some hidden criminal elements behind it. I think Buffalo Jim's killer involved the local crime syndicate. The "Lisa" person I think is a red herring.

I think the Volume 3 episodes that I have watched are very well produced and researched.

Osiris3657 11-04-22 08:48 AM

I knocked out volume 3 in a couple days. Only ones I didn't care for are the ufo ones. All the missing and/or murder cases were interesting. Parent kidnapping episode was heartbreaking

Mike86 11-04-22 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14186537)
Mystery of the Mile Marker 45 - I believe the young girl was murdered. However, I think this is a dead end case.

I think the Volume 3 episodes that I have watched are very well produced and researched.

I wasn’t super impressed with the research/presentation of the case in the first episode after learning about a lot of details that were left out. Haven’t looked into other episodes yet.

Mike86 11-06-22 12:32 AM

Spoiler:
No way this was a suicide. Not even sure how that idea was seriously considered honestly.

I feel it’s likely Damon was involved in some capacity. Whether or not he did it is up in the air in my opinion.

I feel like Patrick could have come across him and maybe a drug dealer. The drug dealer killed him and Damon had to help cover it up and get rid of the body. Might explain why he took Patrick’s death so hard.

That or Damon was seen using drugs by Patrick and he freaked out and shot him.

Spoiler:
I was expecting another paranormal case but an interesting cold case episode. I haven’t ever heard the story of the girl in a box from other true crime shows so this was new to me.

We essentially know what happened so it’s only unsolved in the sense of where is Marliz’s body buried. I guess also in the sense of how do you explain Jody’s dreams and everything that happened?

dex14 05-16-23 06:25 PM