Reload this Page >

Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

Old 01-25-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Unsolved Mysteries returns on Netflix -- premieres 7/1/20

I'm looking forward to the idea but only if done right. I'm not too thrilled about the part that says each episode will be only 30 minutes either.
Old 11-04-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts

No news yet about the new Netflix series.

This interview with John Cosgrove back in January clarifies some stuff.

https://www.channelnonfiction.com/in...aB44DBGGa_raOU

No host or narrator

and only 1 mystery per episode

I saw on the official Unsolved Mysteries Facebook page they posted a graphic saying Stay Tuned to solving more mysteries.
Old 11-04-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

I think part of the appeal of the original is that each episode featured more than one case. Made it more interesting and unique from other true crime type shows. Also no host or narrator is a bummer. I’m less excited about this than I was.
Old 11-04-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,143 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I realize the original series was sort of a “lightning in a bottle” situation. Robert Stack plus the eerie music plus the various segments that could transition from murder to UFOs to separated family members all in one show all equal a show that can’t be replicated.

Calling it “Unsolved Mysteries” doesn’t make it Unsolved Mysteries. I know Netflix has a hard on for true crime but I don’t see this as anything but a bland show that looks just like every other show you’d stumble across on Discovery Investigation Channel.
Old 11-04-19, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^Good points. It's pretty safe to say it won't compare to the original. To my mind, the only true crime program that is its equal in quality is Medical Detectives/Forensic Files. A few others come close, but most of the stuff churned out by ID is shit.
Old 11-06-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 869 Likes on 564 Posts

Cocksucker! I actually thought Emo was gonna host. Damn you. This is what I get for checking the board daily. I wish I missed this.
Old 11-06-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The more I think about it, the more I realize the original series was sort of a “lightning in a bottle” situation. Robert Stack plus the eerie music plus the various segments that could transition from murder to UFOs to separated family members all in one show all equal a show that can’t be replicated.

Agreed. Nothing will ever hold up against the original. The original had a uniqueness to it with the creepy music/atmosphere and the re-enactments, and obviously Robert Stack was so perfect that it’s impossible to put someone else in that role and expect to have it be nearly as good. From that perspective I understand why the new version won’t have a host/narrator, but I do feel you’re right that this will wind up another generic true crime series that won’t stand out from the pack.
Old 11-06-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Henry Silva could host! He's only 91
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OlURaumkAA8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-06-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^Nah, his voice is too high.
Old 06-09-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/361...-new-episodes/

New season to finally premiere on Netflix July 1st.

6 episodes will be available.

Here are the cases:

Remember, 1 case per episode.

“Mystery on the Rooftop,” directed by Marcus A. Clarke:
The body of newlywed Rey Rivera was found in an abandoned conference room at Baltimore’s historic Belvedere Hotel in May 2006, eight days after he mysteriously disappeared. While the Baltimore Police maintained that the 32-year-old committed suicide by jumping from the hotel’s roof, the medical examiner declared Rey’s death “unexplained.” Many, including his devastated wife, Allison, suspect foul play.

“13 Minutes,” directed by Jimmy Goldblum:
Patrice Endres, 38, mysteriously vanished from her Cumming, Georgia, hair salon in broad daylight, during a 13-minute timeframe, leaving behind her teenage son, Pistol. Patrice’s disappearance intensified the existing tensions between Pistol and his stepfather as they dealt with the loss and searched for answers.

“House of Terror,” directed by Clay Jeter:
In April 2011, French police discovered the wife and four children of Count Xavier Dupont de Ligonnčs buried under the back porch of their home in Nantes. Xavier, the family patriarch, was not among the dead and nowhere to be found. Investigators gradually pieced together clues and a timeline that pointed to Xavier as a devious, pre-meditate killer. For instance, they now know that shortly before the crimes occurred, Xavier inherited a gun that was the same model as the murder weapon.

“No Ride Home,” directed by Marcus A. Clarke:
Alonzo Brooks, 23, never returned home from a party he attended with friends in the predominantly white town of La Cygne, Kansas. A month later, a search party led by his family locates Alonzo’s body — in an area that law enforcement had already canvassed multiple times.

“Berkshire’s UFO,” directed by Marcus A. Clarke:
On September 1, 1969, many residents in Berkshire County, Massachusetts were traumatized by a sighting of a UFO. Eyewitnesses — many just children at the time — have spent their lives trying to convince the world that what they saw was real.

“Missing Witness,” directed by Clay Jeter:
At age 17, a guilt-ridden Lena Chapin confessed to helping her mother dispose of her murdered stepfather’s body four years prior. In 2012, Lena was issued a subpoena to testify against her mother in court, but the authorities were never able to deliver the summons — because Lena had disappeared, leaving behind a young son.

The reboot uses re-enactments and interviews to retell the circumstances of, well, mysteries that are unsolved. Covering crimes, tales of lost love, unexplained history and paranormal events, viewers are encouraged to call in with information that might solve the mystery.
Old 06-09-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose I’ll at least give it a shot. I dunno though, one case per episode makes it sound like a slew of other true crime shows out there. Not having a host/narrator might work in its favor as there won’t be someone to compare against Stack. Might be kind of bland though.
Old 06-09-20, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/361...-new-episodes/

New season to finally premiere on Netflix July 1st.

6 episodes will be available.

Here are the cases:

Remember, 1 case per episode.
I’m excited, but it sounds just like a crime show with the Unsolved Mysteries name attached to it
Old 06-23-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix dropped a trailer for this today. Looks alright. The atmosphere seems similar to the original show and I like that there appears to be a variety of cases versus making them all murders or kidnappings. Sort of wish the episodes featured a number of segments versus one case per episode.
Old 07-01-20, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk God

The new season is officially up. All 6 episodes.

It’s called Volume 1. I guess Volume 2, the back 6, will come later this year.
Old 07-01-20, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I caught the first episode tonight. It was different, but I liked it. Using an entire episode about one mystery does give the story more breathing room and not feel rushed. The first mystery especially needed it as there were so many pieces to the story about that mysterious suicide that I think was set up. The friend declining to be interviewed makes him look more suspicious. I felt bad for the widow.

I also think it worked without narration. They effectively used the people in the story to tell it.

and they did a good job with the new remix of the old theme. It was creepy and effective in the opening credits.
Old 07-01-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 380 Likes on 291 Posts

My theory for the first episode:
Spoiler:
The friend is involved in money laundering for the local mob, through his financial firm. Through bad investment advice / laundering, the mob loses a lot of money.

That night, the mob threatens to burn down the firm and calls the friend. The friend is out of town, so he calls Rey and Rey rushes to the firm to try and calm the situation down.

Rey arrives at the firm and fails to appease the mob. The mob roughs him up (consistent with the body injuries from the autopsy report). The mob eventually kills Rey, and does a poorly staged death with the roof hole (common sense says not a suicide based on physics).

The friend doesn’t talk to police because he’s complicit with money laundering.

To solve the case, follow the money. A forensic accountant needs to audit that company to solve the homicide.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 07-02-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-01-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

I called Unsolved Mysteries on my ice cream man when I was about 14. Don't remember the details of the case but he was never seen again.
Old 07-02-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

That creepy dude with his wife's ashes
Old 07-02-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
That creepy dude with his wife's ashes
Yeah, that was a total WTF for me.
Old 07-02-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

The third episode about that entire family of the French aristocrat that was murdered was pretty compelling. But it was a little bit of a tough watch because it was entirely in French and you had to really pay attention to the interviews. Some people on the Unsolved Mysteries Facebook page didn’t like it because they didn’t want to read an entire show.

There’s no doubt he’s the killer. But that case is going to be almost impossible to solve.
Old 07-02-20, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 2 is still a mystery to me. I have no solid theories.

Enjoying this reboot series though.
Old 07-03-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The third episode wasn’t really much of a mystery. At this point, it’s just a fugitive case.

And while I’m usually ok with subtitles for foreign language films, I found it tiresome to read the subtitles for this episode. Halfway through, I had to switch over to English audio (but it also has audio descriptions).

Overall, didn’t care for episode 3. It wasn’t a “House of Terror” as the intro made it out to be.
Old 07-05-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

The 4th episode was okay. Not really my favorite. It was about a young black man who disappeared after attending a party and about a month later was found dead. They suspect it was a hate crime because he ran into trouble at the party.

This case has been cold since about 2004. I don't think this one will be able to be solved. They just don't have much to go on.
Old 07-05-20, 01:51 PM

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I called Unsolved Mysteries on my ice cream man when I was about 14. Don't remember the details of the case but he was never seen again.
What?! There is more to this story. Which episode? What happened? What?!
Old 07-05-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, the 4th one is definitely a hate crime. As a viewer, since we don’t meet anyone else from the party (that wasn’t a friend of Alonzo), it’s hard to formulate any theories.

The 5th episode strays away from the true crime element and is more paranormal. Nothing you can theorize from this episode. It’s just a paranormal story that makes you question if you believe it or not.

The following users liked this post:
DJariya (07-05-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.