Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Old 04-19-19, 11:24 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Great finale. As others have said, it felt like a movie. The scene in the hanger before Michael and Spock set out to start the jump to the wormhole where you look out and see the battle waging around them...that's right out of Star Wars or Star Trek. It really felt like and epic movie scene. I wonder if they will go into Next Gen timeline and bring in some of that original cast or recast some of them in the next season. The final scene with Pike, Spock and the rest of the Enterprise crew was really satisfying as a Trek fan. This is the best Star Trek series I've watched. They're just capable of so much more visually these days. It definitely helps the show. I love the way they depicted the wormholes, the bending of light around it. Just all sciency and cool.
Old 04-20-19, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ok, this is just off the top of my head:

Deana + Worf
Kira + Odo
Picard + Crusher
Dax + Worf
O'Brien + Keiko

I'm sure there are ongoing ones in Voy and Enterprise.

I'm just getting started here. There are more ongoing ones and one episode ones.
VOY had Torres and Paris
and for reasons I still don't understand, VOY added Seven and Chakotay
ENT had Trip and T'Pol
Old 04-20-19, 11:15 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Did the season finale cleverly disguise itself as a “clip show”?

If so, I didn’t care... that was epically spectacular!

I got a good laugh at Spock’s mentioning that Pike noticed his “anomaly” at the end.

Great end to a great season!

Bring on Season 3 and a Pike-centric series.
Old 04-20-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

^I was thinking more of a backdoor pilot for Enterprise with Pike.
If they're going to keep Anson around, they're going to have to sign him to a season. He could get work, and not be able to show up for cameos. Same with Romijn.

Personally, I can't stand Tig. Mainly because I hate her standup and I don't think she's funny, so I cringe every time she comes on.

S2 was definitely better than S1.

A few weeks ago I was in Lowe's and saw a girl that looked like the actress that plays Tilly. She had big sunglasses and a ball cap on, and had one of those tall french poodle looking dogs. And of course the figure. idk if she has any Delaware ties, but she looked just like her.
Old 04-20-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m confused on a few things. Since the bad guy, control was destroyed why did they still need to go through with their plans to send discovery to the future? How did the discovery crew end up on that planet with human colony some 51,000 light years away in the beta quardant? How would the enterprise be able to detect anything that’s 51,000 light years away?I think they explained it early on but how did they originally know there were 7 red signals? I’m just confused on they knew there would be a total of 7 signals spread out throughout the galaxy.
Old 04-20-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

They went through with the plans because Control is not completely destroyed, just the Leland part of it. There was mention of going through computers to root out what little bits of it are left.
Old 04-20-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

The control thing was addressed when the Enterprise crew was debriefed
Old 04-22-19, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If there were an Emmy for most improved series from one season to the next, it would go to this show. And Anson Mount...this Captain Pike spinoff needs to happen now!
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (04-28-20)
Old 04-24-19, 06:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
And Anson Mount...this Captain Pike spinoff needs to happen now!
FWIW, I received a CBS All Access email yesterday with a survey about Discovery in it. Of course I selected Pike as my favorite character and that a Pike series is needed. This was one survey I actually wanted to take!
Old 06-04-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I blasted through this over the past few days. Man, that was excellent. I liked S1, but all the Klingon stuff really wore thin with me. Everything this season seemed to work. Anson Mount as Pike was probably the best part of this season. He was excellent. He definitely needs his own show. It will be fascinating to see where they go from here.
Old 06-28-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

RedLetterMedia has put out their review of Star Trek Discovery (Season 2)...

First their brief spoof of Star Trek Discovery Season 2

And then their Star Trek Discovery Season 2 re:View

Old 06-28-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Been waiting for that. I have a feeling I’ll learn all I need to about the rest of this show and will probably be more entertained by watching Mike and Rich talk about it.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-28-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Red Letter delivers again. I watched this last week and too was confused throughout. And at their count of the 19 producer credits.

S2 was a hot mess. Granted, a slightly less mess than S1. Little made sense....but that's what you get with doing all of the time travel crap. I said it in S1....this is not Trek. I did like Number One. Pike was okay. I can't stand Burnham and the main Discovery crew.

While the special effects in the last episode looked awesome, I was wondering....is this B5 or BSG with all the fighters in a universe where we never saw that in Trek?

Thank god I didn't spend a cent on this crap. And CBS, Twilight Zone ain't any better.
Old 06-29-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I call Star Trek Discovery "Idiot Trek" because so little in it makes any logical sense. And all the schmaltzy melodrama that pollutes the show makes me think people who like it are more emotional than rational. People who prefer watching a soap opera over watching actual science fiction.

The only thing I like in the show is Anson Mount as Captain Pike - he is near perfect casting and easily the best character on the entire show. The scenes late in the finale with Captain Pike and Number One on the bridge of the early Enterprise made me wish THAT was a new Star Trek show... as long as they hire writers for it who aren't idiots and can actually write science fiction.
Old 06-29-19, 10:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Star Trek Discovery is entertaining enough, but never felt like Star Trek unlike Pike was on the screen. But as a sci-fi show it is very good.

Hoping for a Pike show.

Also have high hopes for Star Trek Discovery now that they are in the future and no longer tethered to existing events.
Old 06-29-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I’ve seen of it Discovery isn’t for me. I’ve been a Trek fan for a long time and even like the Abrams films a bit, but this I don’t know.

I haven’t watched all the episodes and none of season two. I thought watching the RLM spoof that they made up some of the cringe dialogue. I can’t believe lines as dumb as “I like science!” and “that’s the power of math!” we’re actually uttered in a Star Trek show.
Old 06-29-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
And then their Star Trek Discovery Season 2 re:View

I have generally enjoyed their "Plinkett" reviews, but I had to turn that stop that shit when they were going on about Picard having "spacheship hands." I couldn't take another forty minutes of that shit. They come off like those weird assholes who corner you in the comic book store and won't shut up about some bug they have up their ass, and you can't get away from them.
Old 06-29-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire thing isn’t that way. They’re big Star Trek fans and are just being hyperbolic. They can have a weird sense of humor at times though. Basically they’re just making fun of the show for trying to be action heavy and poorly written by making up something dumb.
Old 06-29-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The entire thing isn’t that way. They’re big Star Trek fans and are just being hyperbolic. They can have a weird sense of humor at times though. Basically they’re just making fun of the show for trying to be action heavy and poorly written by making up something dumb.
Yep.

If you like action and special effects w/o much thought, then Discovery is for you. Same for re-boot movies.

The bottom line for me is - I just don't like the crew. The best person on the crew was that random engineer they brought on half-way through the season.

I grew up watching TOS re-runs. Loved the movies (some more than others obviously). Really enjoyed TNG. I didn't watch DS9 in it's first run, but when I watched it on Netflix, I thought it was great. I watched the first couple seasons of VOY and didn't like it. ENT - I stuck with it and really liked the 4th season.

If someone enjoys this show, good for you. It's just not right for me.
Old 06-29-19, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like long monologues right after everyone says "get it done fast! we're out of time!" then this show is for you.

Freakin' Burnam with her birdsuit, talking endlessly about stuff with her brother in the shuttle.
Burnam in the shuttle bay, talking endlessly about stuff with her brother.
Burnam with her prisoner Mom, talking endlessly about stuff.

Season 1 was great. Some new content in the Trek universe in the form of Captain Flipside. A bit of mystery and suspense.

Season 2 was just same ol, same ol. It looked great, and yes, Pike was outstanding, but it was just so seen-it-all-before meh.
Old 06-30-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I call Star Trek Discovery "Idiot Trek" because so little in it makes any logical sense. And all the schmaltzy melodrama that pollutes the show makes me think people who like it are more emotional than rational. People who prefer watching a soap opera over watching actual science fiction.

The only thing I like in the show is Anson Mount as Captain Pike - he is near perfect casting and easily the best character on the entire show. The scenes late in the finale with Captain Pike and Number One on the bridge of the early Enterprise made me wish THAT was a new Star Trek show... as long as they hire writers for it who aren't idiots and can actually write science fiction.
Without even exaggerating I think almost EVERYONE that has watched Season 2 of Discovery wants a show with Anson Mount, and the Enterprise. They have so much other content planned, but this is what resonated most. Burnham is the worst part of the entire series, and it's likely her role is even expanded. Mount saved this season. There has to be tremendous pressure to make the series happen. It would be awesome.
Old 06-30-19, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Without even exaggerating I think almost EVERYONE that has watched Season 2 of Discovery wants a show with Anson Mount, and the Enterprise. They have so much other content planned, but this is what resonated most. Burnham is the worst part of the entire series, and it's likely her role is even expanded. Mount saved this season. There has to be tremendous pressure to make the series happen. It would be awesome.
Absolutely. Burnham is just cringe-worthy compared to Pike. She's got like two facial expressions, and the character's just not interesting.

It's the difference between watching a mediocre actor ACTING the part of Burnham, and a great actor BECOMING Pike.
Old 06-30-19, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I like the show- not so much for the first few episodes last season but it seems to have (mostly) come together. Not sure what's going to happen now that Pike is gone. Didn't someone mention they're going to try to introduce the Borg at some point?
Old 06-30-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i guess they could do the borg considering they have been sent through time. I think someone thought the living AI was going to be the birth of the borg through some reconning. That wasn't the case though so I doubt we will be seeing them. I think they will be dealing with all new aliens.
Old 07-01-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing I wish RLM had pointed out if how damned emo the show is. There are more emotional weepy scenes of characters on the edge of tears in this show than in every episode of every previous Star Trek series combined. It's really weird for a Star Trek to be like this. It makes the show seem more like Doctor Who than Star Trek.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.