Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Originally Posted by Noonan
I guess. Between Tilly and Stamets I didn't think we needed another engineering cast member. Now I'm drawing a blank, does Discovery have a medical officer other than Culber?
You do realize there is an Engineering Team with Stamets as the Chief right? Adding another Egnineer, especially one as talented as Reno, doesn't seem like a huge stretch or issue. As far as Medical, there have been other Doctors shown and it's a TEAM just like in Engineering with Culber as Chief Medical Officer.
Old 04-16-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

I don't mean that the actual ship wouldn't have more than one person in each dept. Usually the show will have one main character from each area. Scotty; Jordi; Simon Pegg from the movie reboots..etc. We have 3 engineering characters who have spoken lines in each episode; two of which are fairly "main characters" to the show. That's what I find strange; not that there would be more than 1 person in engineering on a ship like that. Unless the plan is to lose one (or more) during the time shift forward. That would be one reason to explain it.
Old 04-16-19, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I don't mean that the actual ship wouldn't have more than one person in each dept. Usually the show will have one main character from each area. Scotty; Jordi; Simon Pegg from the movie reboots..etc. We have 3 engineering characters who have spoken lines in each episode; two of which are fairly "main characters" to the show. That's what I find strange; not that there would be more than 1 person in engineering on a ship like that. Unless the plan is to lose one (or more) during the time shift forward. That would be one reason to explain it.
Well, Stamets said a number of times he wanted to leave and I can see Reno taking over for him. Aren't they of equivalent rank?
Old 04-16-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Only one ep. left right? Which means I'll be able to watch all of S2 with the Crave tv 30 day free trial I signed up for to watch GOT.
Old 04-16-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Yeah, this Thurs is the finale.
Old 04-16-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Yes, it’s much better. Anson Mount as Pike has been great, and has probably done more to improve on last season than anything else. This last episode showed an updated version of the Enterprise bridge that I thought looked great. It managed to pay homage to TOS while still having a futuristic aesthetic.
It’s still not a perfect show, Michael is the weakest link to me, but overall it’s leaps and bounds better than season 1.
I would agree with this, my main problem with season 1 was the Klingons ... not just the way they looked, but how they acted, and frankly they were pretty boring.

Mount as Pike is a huge boost to the show, but I thought Lorca was good in Season 1. The main thing this season has going for it is much better stories.
Old 04-16-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Engineer "Jett Reno" played by stand up Tig Notaro. I want a Short Trek about what happened to her wife.
I get the feeling there is more to "Jett Reno" than meets the eye. Just a feeling.
Old 04-16-19, 07:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love Jett Reno. Hope she sticks around. Her deadpan delivery is great.
Old 04-17-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Just watched episode 13, probably my least favorite of the year ... maybe part 2 will help it, but it seemed like an overly long, overly sappy windup to the season finale.
Old 04-17-19, 11:44 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I love Jett Reno. Hope she sticks around. Her deadpan delivery is great.
It's a nice contrast to the overly emotional Michael. For someone raised on Vulcan, she doesn't go by their stoic training. Maybe that's the point though, that she was an outsider and always will be.
Old 04-17-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by VinVega
It's a nice contrast to the overly emotional Michael. For someone raised on Vulcan, she doesn't go by their stoic training. Maybe that's the point though, that she was an outsider and always will be.
Michael started out more stoic, or as stoic as a human can get in relation to Vulcans, but she eventually broke out of that and came more towards her humanity after realizing some life changing things in relation to Sarek and his family, I think, back in S1. But she still exhibits Vulcan like mannerisms and speech. Old habits never dying and all that...

I find the complaints in this forum interesting, but not surprising, concerning Michael's and the show's overall emotional aspects. I find the emotion, sappiness, and heart in this show a welcomed change in the ST Franchise. I mean, they even made me care about Klingons and fall in love with L'rell and her tragic story. That's a big deal for me because I had long written off Klingons as dumbass cartoonish buffoons in the franchise.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-17-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 03:06 PM
Banned

Michael started out more stoic, or as stoic as a human can get in relation to Vulcans, but she eventually broke out of that and came more towards her humanity after realizing some life changing things in relation to Sarek and his family I think back in S1. But she still exhibits Vulcan like mannerisms and speech. Old habits never dying all that...

I find the complaints in this forum interesting, but not surprising, concerning Michael's and the show's overall emotional aspects. I find the emotion, sappiness, and heart in this show a welcomed change in the ST Franchise. I mean, they even made me care about Klingons and fall in love with L'rell and her tragic story. That's a big deal for me because I had long written off Klingons as dumbass cartoonish buffoons in the franchise.
Trek (and TNG specifically) has always had tons of romantic stories and sub-plots. I can start listing them if you like....
Old 04-17-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Eric F
Trek (and TNG specifically) has always had tons of romantic stories and sub-plots. I can start listing them if you like....
Please do... It's a slow day at work so I have time to read your list.

If it will help me understand why there is so much bitching about the same emotional stuff in ST: Discovery I welcome your help...
Old 04-17-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The Vulcans, despite their passion for logic, have always come off as snarky and passive aggressive to me. And, despite their “IDIC”, they’ve often come off as frightfully conformist and xenophobic.

It would drive just about any human nuts to have to grow up around them. I’m surprised Burnham is as well adjusted as she is.
Old 04-17-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Vulcans, despite their passion for logic, have always come off as snarky and passive aggressive to me. And, despite their “IDIC”, they’ve often come off as frightfully conformist and xenophobic.

It would drive just about any human nuts to have to grow up around them. I’m surprised Burnham is as well adjusted as she is.
Agreed. And IIRC Sarek wanted some of Michael's Humanity to rub off on Spock.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
[left]The Vulcans, despite their passion for logic, have always come off as snarky and passive aggressive to me.
I actually love that about them.
Old 04-19-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

The finale was fuckin amazing. Like watching a feature film. So much good in this.

And those purist Disco haters can shut the fuck up now
Old 04-19-19, 02:37 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Loved it. I was surprised that Georgiou made it into the future since she has her own Section 31 show coming up. But we’ve apparently got one more season before that happens. I hope they stay in the future permanently.
Old 04-19-19, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, that was a season finale! It answered a few questions and sets up a wide-open season 3.
Old 04-19-19, 06:52 AM
Banned

Please do... It's a slow day at work so I have time to read your list.

If it will help me understand why there is so much bitching about the same emotional stuff in ST: Discovery I welcome your help...
Ok, this is just off the top of my head:

Deana + Worf
Kira + Odo
Picard + Crusher
Dax + Worf
O'Brien + Keiko

I'm sure there are ongoing ones in Voy and Enterprise.

I'm just getting started here. There are more ongoing ones and one episode ones.
Old 04-19-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ok, this is just off the top of my head:

Deana + Worf
Kira + Odo
Picard + Crusher
Dax + Worf
O'Brien + Keiko

I'm sure there are ongoing ones in Voy and Enterprise.

I'm just getting started here. There are more ongoing ones and one episode ones.

Yeah I know about all those. Again, my point is the bitching about it in ST: Discovery is the issue. People don't seem to want it in this series when, as you pointed out in your list, it's always been there. People seem to be just picking on shit to have something to bitch about for DISCO.
Old 04-19-19, 12:46 PM
Banned

Yeah I know about all those. Again, my point is the bitching about it in ST: Discovery is the issue. People don't seem to want it in this series when, as you pointed out in your list, it's always been there. People seem to be just picking on shit to have something to bitch about for DISCO.
I don't care about the romance in the series. I think they just don't find Sonequa Martin-Green very convincing in the role - she seems to be hamming it up a bit. She tends to "over-emote" if you get my meaning.
Old 04-19-19, 05:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

if Control was defeated why did they still need to go into the wormhole?

the finale was entertaining but tiresome. wasn't a fan of Enterprise's convenient new Viper squadron abilities.

I do like that the show is no longer hamstrung by being a prequel.
Old 04-19-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
if Control was defeated why did they still need to go into the wormhole?

the finale was entertaining but tiresome. wasn't a fan of Enterprise's convenient new Viper squadron abilities.

I do like that the show is no longer hamstrung by being a prequel.

That part of Control was defeated but Control still existed.

this was addressed in the episode when the Enterprise crew was debriefed.
Old 04-19-19, 06:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, that was a great season. Some of the retconning is a bit contrived, but overall it was a pretty great season of Star Trek. They may have not planned it, but I think they will do a Pike series as everything about him, the set, Spock is awesome, and there is serious buzz for it. In some ones even though its only one season Pike might be my second favrorite Captain. They really could not have predicted how perfect all of that will be. I bitched pretty loud about getting another prequel series but it looks like we get both a prequel series AND a sort of third generation series. They have a wide open universe for next season and it will be interesting to see where they go. It really in many ways feels much more like a movie than even some of the ST movies did. I love this show. I have to admit that with Discovery, the Picard show, the Section 31 show and maybe a Pike show I would likely keep CBS All Access all year which is the whole point for them to do it so it would be a mission accomplished. Also, great was fleshing out the crew, and adding Jett was a good move. Who knows maybe the Section 31 series is set in the far future as well.
Old 04-19-19, 10:08 PM
Banned

That was insane. I wonder where it ranks in the "most expensive TV episode ever produced" category?

I guess we know why Spock never mentions Burnham. Nice to see the classic Enterprise set at the end (with an updated take). I want an Enterprise show with this Pike and Spock now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.