Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Drama?

Huh. So asking questions about a TV show is considered to be drama these days? Reality TV really has dumbed people down I guess...

Seriously, I watched the pilot, thought it was shit by Trek standards, and didn't have extra money to waste on a streaming service for just one show that left me disappointed at best. So since I skipped it I'm curious as to how it's progressed.

There was a time when skipping a Trek show was unthinkable to me. Voyager and the first season of Enterprise changed that...

Fair enough.
Old 04-12-19, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
This last ep had me on the edge of my seat AND....pretty damn chocked up. I LOVED how this crew genuinely loves each other and are a family. I loved the scene with Michael, Sarek, and Amanda. Tig's character is always fun. TILLY!!!! Pike!! Number 1!!! Po!!!
i didn’t care for it cripes the Spock death scene in khan was not so overtly dramatic and that scene was earned by Spock, we all know burnham isn’t leaving. I expected pike to start crying.
Old 04-13-19, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Drama?

Huh. So asking questions about a TV show is considered to be drama these days? Reality TV really has dumbed people down I guess...

Seriously, I watched the pilot, thought it was shit by Trek standards, and didn't have extra money to waste on a streaming service for just one show that left me disappointed at best. So since I skipped it I'm curious as to how it's progressed.

There was a time when skipping a Trek show was unthinkable to me. Voyager and the first season of Enterprise changed that...
Keep watching. The first few episodes aren't that good but they're using them for world building. The Klingons aren't really in season 2. Rent the S1 Blu Ray.

This show is killing it! This episode must have been the most expensive episode by far. The acting, sets, fx, costume design, makeup, just everything is amazing. This show deserves to sweep the Emmys and then some.
​​​​
Old 04-13-19, 12:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I had the same attitude as B5Erik when I first started watching season 1. I felt it was ok drama, but not really Trek. As of now, however, this is the best Trek I've seen so far. Love this show.
Old 04-13-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Keep watching. The first few episodes aren't that good but they're using them for world building. The Klingons aren't really in season 2. Rent the S1 Blu Ray.

This show is killing it! This episode must have been the most expensive episode by far. The acting, sets, fx, costume design, makeup, just everything is amazing. This show deserves to sweep the Emmys and then some.
​​​​
But that was part of my problem - not only didn't it feel like Trek it didn't LOOK like Trek. It was overblown, and the sets were cold and sterile and mechanical. It just didn't fit in with any other Trek series in look or feel.

And then you had all the other stuff that I didn't like, so I've never felt the need to pay extra money to watch a show that really should be on broadcast or cable TV. Especially given the fact that it just didn't work for me.

Keep this in mind, too - it's geared towards the upper class and upper middle class (people who can afford cable AND multiple streaming services). That's the antithesis of what Roddenberry wanted.
Old 04-13-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea well dude it's not 1966 anymore my man. Cold and mechanical lol, yea cause the hallways and sets of TOS or TNG were so lively with fashion and things in rooms or whatever.

They made HUGE mistake opening this series they way they did. No joke, it was just plain awful. Then it didn't FEEL like Trek either at all, BUT we KNOW why now too, and I'm ok with that why. But it's not at all how they should've brought a new series to life. Season 1 should've been s2 and s2 should've been s1, period. Because what was going on in S1 was outright anti trek.

Burnham is worst link in the show, hands down and that sucks because they have the show built around her.

ONe note about the look and what not as B5 pointed out I will say I'm ok with the look of the Enterprise but I don't like it at all. I don't mind updated but they went to far on the look of it to me.

Also as someone said , the last episode saying goodbye to her and what not fell seriously flat. Cause we all know we won't be lucky enough for that to be the last we see of her lol. So the drawn out goodbye was lame, forced emotion.
Old 04-13-19, 02:21 PM
Banned

Sonequa Martin-Green is terrible. Maybe she's good in other roles (I didn't find her particularly notable in TWD) but she just isn't up to the supporting cast's output. She's dragging the show down.
Old 04-13-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Sonequa Martin-Green is terrible. Maybe she's good in other roles (I didn't find her particularly notable in TWD) but she just isn't up to the supporting cast's output. She's dragging the show down.
Agree and yet the showrunners think she is the ENTIRE show. I love the show despite hating her character.
Old 04-14-19, 08:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

I don't get all the hate for Burnham. She's fine, and I think she's a good anchor for the series.
Old 04-14-19, 09:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I think she's the weakest but has gotten better as time goes on.

The big problem this show will have is the void left when Pike leaves.
Old 04-14-19, 11:09 AM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by TGM
I think she's the weakest but has gotten better as time goes on.

The big problem this show will have is the void left when Pike leaves.
I agree, but I also thought that about losing Lorca.
Old 04-14-19, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I don't get all the hate for Burnham. She's fine, and I think she's a good anchor for the series.
She's a drama queen, everything is about her, but worst of all they are making her maybe the most important person in the history of the federation, and this is just silly. Show would be better without her. Despite that the show is still awesome and easily the best looking show ever on TV.
Old 04-14-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I've been thinking the same thing. We saw this with Sisko on DS9. Yes it's convenient that the universe seems to revolve around the main character but that's an issue with the writing, not with the actress who I think is doing a good job.
Old 04-14-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
She's a drama queen, everything is about her, but worst of all they are making her maybe the most important person in the history of the federation, and this is just silly.
That’s because they made the protagonist an officer who isn’t the captain. She’s not the one making the big calls, but still has to be in the thick of everything. Sounds good on paper, but in practice the character is going to be bratty, cocky, and a drama queen.

I knew going into this series that that’s what they were doing, and I was wondering what that would be like.
Old 04-14-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Section 31, the Borg, the Mirror Universe, the Talosians, etc... Does this show do anything except cannibalize concepts from previous (and better) Trek series?
Old 04-15-19, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

That’s because they made the protagonist an officer who isn’t the captain. She’s not the one making the big calls, but still has to be in the thick of everything. Sounds good on paper, but in practice the character is going to be bratty, cocky, and a drama queen.

I knew going into this series that that’s what they were doing, and I was wondering what that would be like.
Agree, but I don't think it is working. Plus they seem to be headed to making her Captain which could be worse, since she will no foil
Old 04-16-19, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

What's up with the new engineer woman who's gotten a lot of screen time the last few episodes? I assumed she was going to be some type of mole or a classic "red shirt". So far, neither have happened. Is she a new full time character?
Old 04-16-19, 08:11 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
What's up with the new engineer woman who's gotten a lot of screen time the last few episodes? I assumed she was going to be some type of mole or a classic "red shirt". So far, neither have happened. Is she a new full time character?
They picked her up when they went to check out one of the signs the red angel was putting up for them. Her ship ran into trouble and she was one of the few survivors.
Old 04-16-19, 08:12 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Section 31, the Borg, the Mirror Universe, the Talosians, etc... Does this show do anything except cannibalize concepts from previous (and better) Trek series?
And if they went off in a completely new direction there would be massive complaints about not honoring the lore of Star Trek.
Old 04-16-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by VinVega
And if they went off in a completely new direction there would be massive complaints about not honoring the lore of Star Trek.

^Thank You
Old 04-16-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Engineer "Jett Reno" played by stand up Tig Notaro. I want a Short Trek about what happened to her wife.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-16-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Engineer "Jett Reno" played by stand up Tig Notaro.
I knew the actress; seen some of her stand-up. It just seemed strange that all of a sudden there was a new on screen crew member like that. Now she's speaking lines like she's been there since day 1. I don't mind her at all; just curious how it played out. Did we need another engineering crew member on the show?

Last edited by Noonan; 04-16-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a cool little article about the inspiration for DISCO's Chief Engineer and the Spore Drive technology.

3 Real-Life Inspirations For The 'Star Trek: Discovery' Spore Drive
Old 04-16-19, 12:14 PM
Banned

I knew the actress; seen some of her stand-up. It just seemed strange that all of a sudden there was a new on screen crew member like that. Now she's speaking lines like she's been there since day 1. I don't mind her at all; just curious how it played out. Did we need another engineering crew member on the show?
I guess they felt the need to add an engineer in the "Scotty" vein. I'm all right with it. There are over 300 people on the ship so they're bound to have overlapping skill sets in the staff.
Old 04-16-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess they felt the need to add an engineer in the "Scotty" vein. I'm all right with it. There are over 300 people on the ship so they're bound to have overlapping skill sets in the staff.
I guess. Between Tilly and Stamets I didn't think we needed another engineering cast member. Now I'm drawing a blank, does Discovery have a medical officer other than Culber?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.