Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

-I knew Spock would offer insight into Zombies Doctor's situation.
-I LOOOOVE the tense convos between Spock and Michael.
-Tilly!!!!! <3<3
-Robo Girl
-Section 31
-Section 31 IT Team
-Cussin' <3
Old 03-15-19, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Originally Posted by The Cow
He smiled in the pilot "The Cage". And he did at least one other time (not counting when he was under outside influence) in the episode "Amok Time" when he found out Kirk wasn't dead.

I'm aware of that. I said he would never admit to it, not that he hasn't done it.

Just watched this week's episode. Seemed kind of pointless to fill in Airiam's back story in the very same episode they're killing her off. Still a pretty good episode.
It seems that cybernetics is something that is commonly used throughout Federation worlds. I wonder what the Borg would have thought of Airiam?

Last edited by Eric F; 03-15-19 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:23 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
-I knew Spock would offer insight into Zombies Doctor's situation.
-I LOOOOVE the tense convos between Spock and Michael.
-Tilly!!!!! <3<3
-Robo Girl
-Section 31
-Section 31 IT Team
-Cussin' <3
This episode (ep 9) was tense. I was not expecting the end. We finally found out what the bluetooth connections on the security officer were for. Somehow I think android girl will be back in some way.
Old 03-16-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Feels like I missed the reason they could not beam her to the ship when the air lock opened. Everything must have been down and somehow I missed the transporters being part of it.

I wonder why in a hundred years they forget about some of the cool tech they use here.
Old 03-16-19, 12:39 PM
Banned

I wonder what the Borg would have thought of Airiam?
Old 03-16-19, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

^ or could she be a link in their inception? I don't really know much about Borg beginnings canon. I recall hearing somewhere it was thought they came out of the Delta quadrant, but don't know where that came from.

I feel like we will see her again.
Old 03-16-19, 05:39 PM
Banned

^ or could she be a link in their inception? I don't really know much about Borg beginnings canon. I recall hearing somewhere it was thought they came out of the Delta quadrant, but don't know where that came from.

For that matter, is the amount of augmentation Airiam had unique for a human? Clearly other humans are augmented, as we can tell from Keyla, who has some sort of ocular implant...Which makes me wonder why Geordi had that dumb visor for so long?

I find the whole thing so strange- If so many humans are augmented, why did Earth have such a problem with genetically engineered Humans (SS Botany Bay)?

I hope they explore this more- this is something they never really explored on the old shows.
Old 03-17-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Anyone kind of feel they may go to a very unexpected place this season? I am not sure of the mechanics of it, but I believe the red angel is Michael from the future. I believe she is guiding the Enterprise to a point where she will sacrifice herself to save humanity and in doing so somehow erases herself from the entire timeline. Probably too far out there and they are very good at retconning things to fit what we know from before and Michael is never mentioned in any way. Not she's the star of the show so maybe not completely removed from the timeline but at least removed from Spock's memory somehow, but her being the Red Angel explains why Spock was chosen. Maybe I am just loopy from it being late.

It is definitely the best looking TV show ever, though I think next year they will ratchet it down a few notches.
Old 03-17-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

That would be kind of a cool paradox if Michael goes back in time to tell Spock to save her own life as a child.
Old 03-17-19, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone pick up a heavy whiff of influence from "The Expanse" in this latest ep?

Grav boots, talking to the ship, walking through abandoned vessel's corridors in space suits to come upon a frozen upside-down body, horrified looks as someone is unexpectedly blown out the airlock...probably coincidental, as they're all scifi tropes, but the deja vu of seeing basically a frame-by-frame redo of those scenes was striking.

I can't help but think someone on the ST production staff is keeping a close eye on the The Expanse.

Also can't help but wonder how much better the already-fantastic The Expanse would be if it had ST's budget behind it.
Old 03-17-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by cowtown
Did anyone pick up a heavy whiff of influence from "The Expanse" in this latest ep?

Grav boots, talking to the ship, walking through abandoned vessel's corridors in space suits to come upon a frozen upside-down body, horrified looks as someone is unexpectedly blown out the airlock...probably coincidental, as they're all scifi tropes, but the deja vu of seeing basically a frame-by-frame redo of those scenes was striking.

I can't help but think someone on the ST production staff is keeping a close eye on the The Expanse.

Also can't help but wonder how much better the already-fantastic The Expanse would be if it had ST's budget behind it.
No, the Expanse isn’t the first and not the only show/movie to do that. Coincidence.
Old 03-17-19, 04:04 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Anyone kind of feel they may go to a very unexpected place this season? I am not sure of the mechanics of it, but I believe the red angel is Michael from the future. I believe she is guiding the Enterprise to a point where she will sacrifice herself to save humanity and in doing so somehow erases herself from the entire timeline. Probably too far out there and they are very good at retconning things to fit what we know from before and Michael is never mentioned in any way. Not she's the star of the show so maybe not completely removed from the timeline but at least removed from Spock's memory somehow, but her being the Red Angel explains why Spock was chosen. Maybe I am just loopy from it being late.

It is definitely the best looking TV show ever, though I think next year they will ratchet it down a few notches.
I had a shower thought yesterday, different from what you said, but would definitely be taking the show to an unexpected place. I think an awesome twist would be if at the end of the season the Discovery has to make a one way trip to the future to fight whatever this menace is. They’d have to do it sans Spock and Pike, of course, but it would free them up to do whatever without fucking up established continuity. And we’d get the stuff in the post-TNG era that we’ve always wanted. It could even make Calypso make more sense.
Old 03-17-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

“Calypso” was a weird one. It certainly implies that something is going to happen to the Discovery; that it will be lost in space/time, and something will happen to the crew. Maybe they all died, or went somewhere else.
Old 03-17-19, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo

I had a shower thought yesterday, different from what you said, but would definitely be taking the show to an unexpected place. I think an awesome twist would be if at the end of the season the Discovery has to make a one way trip to the future to fight whatever this menace is. They’d have to do it sans Spock and Pike, of course, but it would free them up to do whatever without fucking up established continuity. And we’d get the stuff in the post-TNG era that we’ve always wanted. It could even make Calypso make more sense.
I have had that same time at thoughts too. That discovery is both a story pre-TOS and post TNG. The short suggests something of the sort.,
Old 03-17-19, 09:24 PM
Admin

The Borg were already around when Picard and the gang went back to Earth's first contact, so she wouldn't be the start of the Borg.
Old 03-18-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
The Borg were already around when Picard and the gang went back to Earth's first contact, so she wouldn't be the start of the Borg.
The Borg go back to at least the 13th century (Earth time), so they would need to time travel to make it happen. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_history

I would really hope that they never reveal humans were responsible for creating the Borg. It would really de-unique the Borg and undermine their threat.
Old 03-18-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For me....Airiam went from "oh cool, a robot on deck in the background that makes weird sounds...whatevs" to "holy fuck! She was a Human and was augmented! She had a life!!!And now she's Dead!!!! I want to know more about her! She needs to come back at some point!!!".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-18-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was thinking how Spock having a Black Human sister on ST;Discovery suddenly makes Spock and Uhura being together in the Abramverse Star Trek films click.
Old 03-18-19, 05:05 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was thinking how Spock having a Black Human sister on ST;Discovery suddenly makes Spock and Uhura being together in the Abramverse Star Trek films click.
Good point. You seek out what you know.
Old 03-18-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They have a Red Angel Theory post on the show's FB page It seems many are leaning towards time traveling Michael as the Red Angel just like some here do. One interesting but simple theory is that she is named after "Michael" the Archangel...

Anyway, Airiam being is a close 2nd...
Old 03-18-19, 06:45 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I hope they leave the Borg alone. Their timeline is already too convuluted thanks to ST: Enterprise.
Old 03-18-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-m...-2-1202577741/

Mount and Romijn are leaving after this season.

Old 03-19-19, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-m...-2-1202577741/

Mount and Romijn are leaving after this season.

Always expected that anyway. I mean he does need to go back to the Enterprise.
Old 03-19-19, 04:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

mentioning the on set scuffle that wasn't really a big deal, and had no ramifications is stupid.
Old 03-19-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

He's SOOOOOOOO good as Pike he needs his own show, I'm not kidding. His performance has been outstanding.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.