Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

Old 04-05-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

The last night's ep was ...WOW. Pike is THE MAN.

-Pike's scenes
-L'Rell and Tyler
-Control is an ASSHOLE.
-No Tilly
Old 04-05-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 1/17/19

This says "premiere", but it might be live now too:
Captain on the bridge. Anson Mount joins Naomi Kyle today to talk about THAT moment in last night's episode.

http://www.facebook.com/StarTrekCBS/...3622840563609/
Old 04-05-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

SEE what did I say. Jesus christ do we NEED a pike show of his own are you shitting me. THAT'S a god damn Starfleet Captain right there boy, just wow.

Giantrobo EXACTLY. I LOVE Tilly and I went hey wait I haven't seen good Tilly in weeks. Pissed.
Tyler and dude Stamtes , sorry I HATE IT. It's not homophobic I just don't like it.
Old 04-06-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

CONTROL is a stupid name, and I cringe every time they say it.

And it does not help that there is a whiff of Get Smart about it.
Old 04-06-19, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to catch up.
Old 04-07-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Michael Burnam is TOO important in the ST universe and she is the worst character on the show and despite that the others are so great I still love this show. Pike ruled last episode. He is up there with Picard and Kirk IMO. Also I think they are hiding a HUGE plot twist in plain sight. The show has been smart to have an out with Burnam in the timeline too. Next Captain casting us xritical, it just can't be Burnams mother
Old 04-08-19, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

At this point I'd rather see S3 with Pike/Number One/Spock on the Enterprise and forget the rest of the cast/Discovery.
Old 04-08-19, 01:31 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

All of the old guard Trekies out there wishing for a Pike starring show are going to be disappointed. The producers are looking for a wider audience, so you’re gonna have to deal with Michael and the inclusive gang. It’s really not that big of a deal. I still feel like this is a multipart movie and I’m enjoying the show. Sonequa overacts a bit at times, but I think she’s doing a good job as the leading lady. I think they mix in enough of the rest of the cast that it’s not the Michael show all the time.
Old 04-08-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
All of the old guard Trekies out there wishing for a Pike starring show are going to be disappointed. The producers are looking for a wider audience, so you’re gonna have to deal with Michael and the inclusive gang. It’s really not that big of a deal.
I think that CBS All Access want Star Trek to be a weekly thing in the near future, so there should be room for a Pike Enterprise centered series. So far, they have Discovery, Picard, Section 31, that animated series, and possible Khan and Starfleet Academy series. We’re possibly looking at four to eight series to fill out the schedule. I don’t expect the animated series to go down well with audiences, and Khan will be a miniseries if it even happens. I think Patrick Stewart mentioned his Picard series will be three seasons.

I would guess that there would be at least a one year cycle between seasons, probably more like sixteen, so, at 8-14 episodes per season, there’s room a lot of projects.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-09-19 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 06:37 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Ok, that makes sense. I had the feeling that people were wishing for the rest of the crew to be written out of this show and just leave Pike and Spock. Just saying, that ain’t gonna happen.
Old 04-09-19, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

This Spock is 10x better than Zachary Quinto.
Old 04-09-19, 08:15 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

We’ve got a few open years in the timeline where a Pike/Enterprise show could run, theoretically.

As for next season, I think it’s more likely that Saru would be the next captain rather than a new character. And then followed by Burnham in another season or two. I’m assuming there’s not been anything in past canon about there never being non-human captains, and I’m admittedly not a big enough Trekkie to know that either way.
Old 04-10-19, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
We’ve got a few open years in the timeline where a Pike/Enterprise show could run, theoretically.

As for next season, I think it’s more likely that Saru would be the next captain rather than a new character. And then followed by Burnham in another season or two. I’m assuming there’s not been anything in past canon about there never being non-human captains, and I’m admittedly not a big enough Trekkie to know that either way.
It’s ambiguous.

I think that, in the TOS-era (which Discovery is set a few years before) Spock was the only non-human member of Starfleet that we saw serving aboard the Enterprise.

In “The Immunity Syndrome” there was a reference to the Intrepid, another Constitution class ship like the Enterprise, being crewed entirely by Vulcans. We could intrepret this as an indication that Federation ships were segregated by species, which makes a certain amount of sense in that different species have different environmental requirements (atmosphere, gravity) and different dietary and medical needs as well, and it might be preferable not not have mixed-species ships.

But, ultimately, the lack of aliens serving aboard the Enterprise (and Starfleet in general) probably comes down to the 1960s budget, shooting schedule, and make-up technology the series was produced with.
Old 04-11-19, 12:35 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
This Spock is 10x better than Zachary Quinto.
I agree. I like this Spock.

It's not Sylar with a wig.

Old 04-11-19, 10:32 PM

Jesus, this show is so good. Pretty sure this season will make it onto my best of 2019 list.
I freaked out a little near the end of the episode tonight, though, thinking the whole time that it was the season finale and was about to pull a very frustrating cliffhanger.
Old 04-12-19, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

So Discovery got better this season?

Do the Klingons still eat their enemies? Are the sets and effects still cold, sterile, and overdone?

Just curious since I can't watch the show (I've got other things to spend my entertainment dollars on rather than a streaming service that only has one show I'd be interested in).
Old 04-12-19, 01:09 AM

Yes, it’s much better. Anson Mount as Pike has been great, and has probably done more to improve on last season than anything else. This last episode showed an updated version of the Enterprise bridge that I thought looked great. It managed to pay homage to TOS while still having a futuristic aesthetic.
It’s still not a perfect show, Michael is the weakest link to me, but overall it’s leaps and bounds better than season 1.
Old 04-12-19, 01:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What a great episode.

As long as Spock gets off Discovery, this would set up perfectly for Discovery to continue the series 950 years (or whatever the number) into the future. Would explain away Discovery/Spore Drive in the timeline.

And since they’ve spent the money on the Enterprise sets/bridge, give us a Pike series now. For those that want to see more of Anson Mount, please check out Hell on Wheels if you haven’t. Bonus: you get shady Chief O’Brien too.

Question: the sphere data is just preventing itself from being “destroyed” correct? Like when it raised shields and prevented the auto-destruct. So I assume it is ok in allowing Discovery to continue the “travel to the future” plan...

At this point, I don’t want them to dues ex machina some other solution besides what the cliffhanger alluded too (and the Pike series), lol.
Old 04-12-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This last ep had me on the edge of my seat AND....pretty damn chocked up. I LOVED how this crew genuinely loves each other and are a family. I loved the scene with Michael, Sarek, and Amanda. Tig's character is always fun. TILLY!!!! Pike!! Number 1!!! Po!!!
Old 04-12-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B5Erik
So Discovery got better this season?

Do the Klingons still eat their enemies? Are the sets and effects still cold, sterile, and overdone?

Just curious since I can't watch the show (I've got other things to spend my entertainment dollars on rather than a streaming service that only has one show I'd be interested in).

Jeezus Christ Man

Also, Klingons have HAIR NOW!!!!! (Not that I cared. I LOVE the New Klingons and L'rell is my FAVE Klingon EVER).
Old 04-12-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by 0073735963
And since they’ve spent the money on the Enterprise sets/bridge, give us a Pike series now.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the bridge.

What was the deal with Pike winking at Michelle Yeoh and saying 'what mirror universe?'. I feel like I missed something there.
Old 04-12-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson

What was the deal with Pike winking at Michelle Yeoh and saying 'what mirror universe?'. I feel like I missed something there.
No one is supposed to know about the MU or that she isn't the original Captain. So it was their little nod to each other.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-12-19 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Jeezus Christ Man

Also, Klingons have HAIR NOW!!!!! (Not that I cared. I LOVE the New Klingons and L'rell is my FAVE Klingon EVER).
I'm sorry, what's so funny?
Old 04-12-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm sorry, what's so funny?

Your drama filled post.
Old 04-12-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Your drama filled post.
Drama?

Huh. So asking questions about a TV show is considered to be drama these days? Reality TV really has dumbed people down I guess...

Seriously, I watched the pilot, thought it was shit by Trek standards, and didn't have extra money to waste on a streaming service for just one show that left me disappointed at best. So since I skipped it I'm curious as to how it's progressed.

There was a time when skipping a Trek show was unthinkable to me. Voyager and the first season of Enterprise changed that...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.