Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Space Force (Netflix) - from Greg Daniels & Steve Carell - premieres 5/29/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Space Force (Netflix) - from Greg Daniels & Steve Carell - premieres 5/29/20

Old 06-02-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Space Force (Netflix) - from Greg Daniels & Steve Carell - premieres 5/29/20

Iím midway through episode 2 and my opinion is now I donít like it. I thought the pilot was ok and Iím surprised my opinion changed so quickly. Something seems off about the jokes and acting. Maybe not bad acting, but the jokes seem forced? I canít pinpoint it exactly.

I donít read reviews, watch trailers, etc., so my opinions arenít influenced by others.

For now, Iíll stop watching and watch the other shows I have on my list. Maybe Iíll pick it back up later.
Old 06-02-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: Space Force (Netflix) - from Greg Daniels & Steve Carell - premieres 5/29/20

My girlfriend and I watched the pilot last night. I thought it was decent and will probably keep going with it. I donít think she entirely disliked it, but she didnít want to continue on and doesnít mind if I watch the rest on my own.
Old 06-02-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just finished it up. It was pretty mediocre for me. I did enjoy the last two episodes more than the others so maybe thatís a good sign. Iím not sure I even care if they do another season. Two shows I was really hyped for, this and Snowpiercer, have been big letdowns.
Old 06-03-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 157 Posts

The pilot was a chore to get thru... all the characters seem horribly mis-used. Everybody is dry and cynical.
It got me to thinking... when was the last time Steve Carell was funny? Not his movies (well, yeah, his movies too) but his delivery or content actually making me laugh. For me, he hasn't been funny since The Office and maybe 40 Year Old Virgin. Most of his movies are serious anymore or just duds.
Old 06-03-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 462 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
The pilot was a chore to get thru... all the characters seem horribly mis-used. Everybody is dry and cynical.
It got me to thinking... when was the last time Steve Carell was funny? Not his movies (well, yeah, his movies too) but his delivery or content actually making me laugh. For me, he hasn't been funny since The Office and maybe 40 Year Old Virgin. Most of his movies are serious anymore or just duds.
Despicable Me? Most of what he's being doing lately is more drama. There isn't much that tops him in Anchorman as well.
Old 06-03-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

Itís an interesting concept that plays as a drama with a few laughs. The goofy Russians countering their plans is a funny bit.
Old 06-04-20, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Binged the rest of this last night. It grew on my after Ep2. 3-10 were much better. It needed more Roy Wood Jr though.

Couple highlights for me:
Spoiler:
-Fuck Tony taking a selfie in the background of the hearing when the Handmaid's Tail people were being taken out
-The daughters expressions when her mother was telling her the open relationship was her idea in Prison
-Mallory drunk shit talking the Chinese scientist on the moon after their conversation

-Interesting we never find out why the wife is/was in prison but that whole sub plot was the weakest part of the show.

The following users liked this post:
mrsparkel (06-23-20)
Old 06-04-20, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

It was ok - some really funny parts but overall just a dud. Not sure what they were thinking when they decided on the idea for this show. None of the sub-plots worked either. Characters were non interesting as well with the exception of the key few.

Maybe Mark Naird is flying away to Scranton at the end of the last episode to assume a new identity as Michael Scott to work for a failing paper company.
Old 06-04-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
It was ok - some really funny parts but overall just a dud. Not sure what they were thinking when they decided on the idea for this show. None of the sub-plots worked either. Characters were non interesting as well with the exception of the key few.

Maybe Mark Naird is flying away to Scranton at the end of the last episode to assume a new identity as Michael Scott to work for a failing paper company.
IMO the idea is/was fantastic. If anything, I'd blame rushed execution. Carell probably did the worst job playing the character he was given. It was like he couldn't decide on 100% satire or half satire, half serious.

Oh, it also could have used many more scenes in the cabinet room but I'd imagine it was hard to get all those actors together to shoot scenes.
Old 06-04-20, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Binged. Dud. Unfunny for the most part. Expected more. Expected better. That pretty much sums up my opinion and apparently a lot of others as well.
Old 06-06-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Been watching one a night, and we have watched 5 so far. Not really seeing why it is getting so much hate. The tone is certainly different, but there have been a couple legitimate laughs each episode (usually from Malkovich).

Not the best thing in the world, but its been a fun watch. Not sure how it ends, or if it was produced with more seasons in mind, but I'd be on board.
Old 06-23-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 728 Posts

Wife and I just binged this. Very uneven but we couldnít stop watching. If it didnít have industry veterans like Malkovich, Carrell and Kudrow, it wouldnít be worth it but weíre interested in seeing where it goes.
Old 06-24-20, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

I was surprised at all the negative reviews. I had braced myself for a huge letdown after reading them, and maybe that helped, but I was pleasantly surprised by the show. I expected more straight comedy, and it's definitely not that. However, I enjoyed the dramatic moments, the lighter moments, and all the performances. I'm in for season 2 whenever it comes out.

I actually liked some of the nuance of the board room characters. There was a lot of gallows humor from them, but they were legitimately disgusted at the thought of attacking the Chinese base and considered it a war crime.
Old 06-24-20, 09:43 AM

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

As I was googling away on Monday (I forget what I was searching for but it was not specifically for Space Force) I cam across a link to a Forbes article that contains Netflix ratings noting which shows have stayed at #1 for an extended period, which have stuck around in the top 5 after being released, etc., and it noted that Space Force is one of the more popular shows that spent a stretch at the top of the ratings so it sounds like it is a lock to get a season 2. Wait...just remembered, I was searching for on-line info on Floor Is Lava which I just finished up (fun show to watch).
Old 06-24-20, 11:21 AM

Received 196 Likes on 149 Posts

I forgot this show existed, after dropping this show midway through episode 2.

Old 06-24-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I was surprised at all the negative reviews. I had braced myself for a huge letdown after reading them, and maybe that helped, but I was pleasantly surprised by the show. I expected more straight comedy, and it's definitely not that. However, I enjoyed the dramatic moments, the lighter moments, and all the performances. I'm in for season 2 whenever it comes out.

I actually liked some of the nuance of the board room characters. There was a lot of gallows humor from them, but they were legitimately disgusted at the thought of attacking the Chinese base and considered it a war crime.
That's the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the top officer of the each branch of the military. Supposedly, by the time they're at that rank, they've lost some of their bloodlust and have taken on more political aspects of their job.
Old 06-27-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I just bailed about two thirds through the fourth episode. None of these people are remotely likable. Steve Carell is. not. funny. The only thing I got a kick out of was that monkey with the cordless screwdriver. Well, that and Fred Willard. One funny scene and a clever cameo is not enough to put up with the poorly realized father/daughter relationship, the paper thin military cast, and the punch him in the face please public relations guy.
Old 08-10-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Just finished this last night. Thought it got stronger in the latter episodes, and I was already preinclined to like it because of the cast. Hope it gets renewed (while there are rumors it has been, as far as I can tell there has been no official announcement). Even if it does I doubt we get new episodes before 2022 though.
Old 08-10-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Kudrow was always the best on Friends and Malkovich is always fun to watch.
Old 08-11-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I really like this series. I hope they make another season.
Old 11-13-20, 05:56 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Renewed:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...d_IFgQ2Y5rw5dk
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (11-14-20)
Old 11-14-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, the wife and I enjoyed this one.
Old 11-14-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Sweet, really liked season 1
Old 11-14-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Excellent!
Old 11-14-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts

Never wound up finishing season one. Thought the pilot was okay but could have been better. Might revisit it at some point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.