Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
re: Perry Mason (HBO) - S: Matthew Rhys - premieres 6/21/20

Originally Posted by DJariya
Woo hoo!!!

Old 07-24-20, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Really enjoyed the episode. Sure the lawyer stuff was super rushed but still made for a fun hour of TV. That revival was thrillingly shot.
Old 07-26-20, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Another fantastic episode. There were so many award worthy scenes. Drake and Perry “finding” the evidence in the box, the lawyers talking to the judge in his chambers, Perry having an imaginary conversation with E.B., etc. just great stuff all around.

Perry going up a corrupt system and trying to fight fire with fire makes for a feat entertainment.
Old 07-27-20, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It is almost jarring how quickly the show changed due to Mason becoming a lawyer. Having said that, it is still awesome as hell and I look forward to it every week.
Old 07-27-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
It is almost jarring how quickly the show changed due to Mason becoming a lawyer. Having said that, it is still awesome as hell and I look forward to it every week.
Yeah but he's still not "PERRY MASON" Perry Mason. The change seems really organic. Loved how they sort of did the courtroom stuff but also really broadened the conspiracy of the whole thing. Quite compelling.
Old 07-27-20, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

One thing I’m really enjoying - I have no clue who did it or how the story is going to come together! If this was a procedural episode, I’d have figured it out why the second commercial break.

The imaginary convo with E.B. was great!
Old 07-28-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
One thing I’m really enjoying - I have no clue who did it or how the story is going to come together! If this was a procedural episode, I’d have figured it out why the second commercial break.

The imaginary convo with E.B. was great!

Really? They just told you who did it in the latest episode. What they haven't showed us is who the mastermind is behind it all.
Old 07-28-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Really? They just told you who did it in the latest episode. What they haven't showed us is who the mastermind is behind it all.
Who then? If it was told, I totally missed it. I definitely got the one Detective was heavily involved, and potentially offed the 3 in the room, but don’t think he personally killed Charlie.
Old 07-28-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07
Who then? If it was told, I totally missed it. I definitely got the one Detective was heavily involved, and potentially offed the 3 in the room, but don’t think he personally killed Charlie.
That's the implication, which is why he got really quiet when his partner asked him if he had killed the baby and stitched him up after the fact. He responded with something along the lines of "I had a job to do and I did it."

Old 07-29-20, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's the implication, which is why he got really quiet when his partner asked him if he had killed the baby and stitched him up after the fact. He responded with something along the lines of "I had a job to do and I did it."
Anyone else think that there is a possibility that the real kid is alive and they killed another and that Sister will be successful in the resurrection?
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (07-29-20)
Old 07-29-20, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Anyone else think that there is a possibility that the real kid is alive and they killed another and that Sister will be successful in the resurrection?
No, but now that you mention it...shit, I'd lose it, in a good way, if they did that.

Old 08-02-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great episode! Shit, just one episode left.
Old 08-03-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The reveal on how the baby died was horrific.
Spoiler:
Drinking tainted breast milk from a Chinese milk-maid fetish prostitute strung out on heroin is a new one for me.

Why So Blu? (08-03-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mugwump
The reveal on how the baby died was horrific.
Spoiler:
Drinking tainted breast milk from a Chinese milk-maid fetish prostitute strung out on heroin is a new one for me.

Spoiler:
Definitely one I had never seen before.

Man this show is terrific. I'd love if he finds a lawyerly way to
Spoiler:
keep his house and screw over that bitch...never liked her.

It's sort of interesting that Mason's first case is defending someone that is just not likeable at all.
Old 08-08-20, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Anxious to see the final episode for how all this plays out because I'm confused
Spoiler:
about this baby-switching thing, because as far as I can remember Alice came up with the resurrection idea all on her own, so that couldn't have been something they planned on (like this was how they were going to save the church), so what is their scheme?

Even if this last episode fizzles, I've had so much fun watching everything that's come before so much I would still give this series a re-watch sometime. So entertaining.
Old 08-08-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Anxious to see the final episode for how all this plays out because I'm confused
Spoiler:
about this baby-switching thing, because as far as I can remember Alice came up with the resurrection idea all on her own, so that couldn't have been something they planned on (like this was how they were going to save the church), so what is their scheme?

Even if this last episode fizzles, I've had so much fun watching everything that's come before so much I would still give this series a re-watch sometime. So entertaining.
I was wondering the same thing. At first I assumed it was a play by the mom since she seemed to have the other baby in the middle of the road scene. I assumed it was planned, but I wonder if that was just her last ditch attempt via a riff.

The more I thought about it, I recalled Della telling Perry it would be bad and tried to get him out of there. I think her please to the guy at dinner worked and he had the body moved/removed. However, it’s possible Perry had it pulled so they could confirm the cause of death once they figured out the heroine angle.
Old 08-09-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, what a great season finale!
Old 08-09-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn’t expecting that outcome for the trial. I wonder if season 2 will touch on a re-trial or if they’ll leave this story and follow a new one. I initially assumed Perry would go after Innes in season 2 but it doesn’t look like that’s the case now...

Old 08-09-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Eh, I was underwhelmed by how this wrapped up. Annoyed that I'd have to go back and re-watch the show to figure out what exactly was going on with the baby-switch.

The fantasy courtroom scene was pretty funny, with Berger telling Perry (but mostly the audience), "That's not how things happen in real life!", as a way of stealing the thunder of those who'd criticize the ending. Which maybe true, but leaves me wondering, "Then why am I watching?"
Deftones (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, unless I wasn’t paying attention at the end credits of the previous episodes, this was the first end credits sequence that played the old Perry Mason theme song.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Deftones (08-10-20), Thos19 (08-10-20)
Old 08-10-20, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Thrilled that they finally played the original theme song, -or at least riffed off of it.
Enjoyed the opening scene. I'll bet that was one of the first scenes they conceived when they started putting this together (an archetypical "Perry Mason" scene and then calling BS on it).
I'm still a little confused as to the business of the baby being stolen from the coffin.
Old 08-10-20, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
Thrilled that they finally played the original theme song, -or at least riffed off of it.
Enjoyed the opening scene. I'll bet that was one of the first scenes they conceived when they started putting this together (an archetypical "Perry Mason" scene and then calling BS on it).
I'm still a little confused as to the business of the baby being stolen from the coffin.
I think it was pretty clear, but maybe I have it wrong. Mother had the baby removed using I assume the exhumation order that Sister Alice had left her. She then probably bought a baby maybe from a prostitute and staged the street scene. Obviously she couldn't stick a live baby into the coffin. She knew the resurrection event would kill the church or at least have them removed, so she planned the resurrection scene and going back to the mobile preaching that they had done before. Remember she was a grifter willing to prostitute her young daughter. When Alice saw what she had done she ran away. That's how I read it anyway.

Interesting direction to take the finale. Not what anyone was expecting but maybe a realistic end to the show. I thought it was really compelling. Best show I have seen this year. Not an easy season to follow up as it was in many ways a True Detective show as a Perry Mason show.
Why So Blu? (08-10-20)
Old 08-10-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think it was pretty clear, but maybe I have it wrong. Mother had the baby removed using I assume the exhumation order that Sister Alice had left her. She then probably bought a baby maybe from a prostitute and staged the street scene. Obviously she couldn't stick a live baby into the coffin. She knew the resurrection event would kill the church or at least have them removed, so she planned the resurrection scene and going back to the mobile preaching that they had done before. Remember she was a grifter willing to prostitute her young daughter. When Alice saw what she had done she ran away. That's how I read it anyway.

All of this.
Old 08-10-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I really liked the atmosphere of the show and the scene with all the key players coming together at last in Perry's office was great. I'm looking forward to Berger and Strickland becoming the foils since they've established how respected they are so they should really bring the heat in the courtroom instead of the current DA's political theater. Hopefully the church stuff is over with as I found myself skipping through a lot of that at the end went it became clear how it was all playing out.
Old 08-10-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

No idea what the fuck was going on. I kind of half-assed my way through a lot of it, and forgot a lot of things week-to-week. Might have to rewatch the whole thing in one sitting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.