Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Perry Mason (HBO) - S: Matthew Rhys - premieres 6/21/20

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
re: Perry Mason (HBO) - S: Matthew Rhys - premieres 6/21/20

I love the LA Confidential feel of this show. I was not interested in this based on the character's previous shows, but a friend recommended it. Love it.
Old 07-13-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Fantastic episode last night. Lithgow put in some of the best acting I have seen in a while. Amazing. I like this show the more and more I watch it. I am definitely up for more not one and done. Obviously
Spoiler:
Perry Mason has to become a lawyer in the next episode or 2 and still not sure how they exactly accomplish that.

Old 07-13-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Fantastic episode last night. Lithgow put in some of the best acting I have seen in a while. Amazing. I like this show the more and more I watch it. I am definitely up for more not one and done. Obviously
Spoiler:
Perry Mason has to become a lawyer in the next episode or 2 and still not sure how they exactly accomplish that.

Spoiler:
I don't recall what his rank was during the WWI scenes but if he was an officer it would imply he had attended college. For all we know he's already an attorney but doesn't practice since his life is so f'ed up. That would seem unlikely but the only alternative is a montage sequence showing him going to law school and passing the bar which I can't imagine happening.

Old 07-14-20, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
Spoiler:
I don't recall what his rank was during the WWI scenes but if he was an officer it would imply he had attended college. For all we know he's already an attorney but doesn't practice since his life is so f'ed up. That would seem unlikely but the only alternative is a montage sequence showing him going to law school and passing the bar which I can't imagine happening.

Spoiler:
Cut it to a scratchy swing jazz version of "You're the Best Around"

Old 07-14-20, 06:03 PM

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I checked and you definitely DID need to pass the bar, though back then you could just take it and become a lawyer without going to law school. Maybe thats how it is done, he just passes the bar from all the experience he has had

Old 07-14-20, 06:49 PM

Spoiler:
I checked and you definitely DID need to pass the bar, though back then you could just take it and become a lawyer without going to law school. Maybe thats how it is done, he just passes the bar from all the experience he has had

It's still that way today.
Spoiler:
WORK

Kim Kardashian West plans to become a lawyer without going to law school—here’s how

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/17/how-...aw-degree.html

Old 07-14-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

It's a pet peeve but Perry's beard (or stubble, if you like) bugs me. I know it's supposed to signal his seediness and grit, but it takes a certain kind of prissy man-scaping to keep your beard at just the right level of growth without any indication of it veering into a real beard or some moment of being freshly shaven.
Old 07-15-20, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
It's still that way today.
Spoiler:
WORK

Kim Kardashian West plans to become a lawyer without going to law school—here’s how

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/17/how-...aw-degree.html

Interesting.
Spoiler:
You used to just be able to take it like the SAT, but this seems like an interesting compromise. Didn't know this existed.

Not sure why this detail bothers me so much just really curious how they handle it. Fantastic show though
Old 07-15-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
It's a pet peeve but Perry's beard (or stubble, if you like) bugs me. I know it's supposed to signal his seediness and grit, but it takes a certain kind of prissy man-scaping to keep your beard at just the right level of growth without any indication of it veering into a real beard or some moment of being freshly shaven.
To be honest everything about Matthew Rhy's performance and appearance in this just screams modern day. I doesn't really bother me but it can be jarring when he butts up against someone who seems so steeped in the time like Shea Whigham who of course got a head start on embodying this era from his time doing "Boardwalk Empire."
Old 07-15-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

This show is getting very "HBO" in the sense that it's mostly character driven with multiple story lines going on, rather than a miniseries about a murder/detective. I'm not sure why I didn't expect it with this one.
Old 07-15-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Change the name of the lead character, and this could have been season four of True Detective.
Old 07-16-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Missed seeing the beat police officer in this episode. The actor who plays him is in the main cast credits, so his storyline can't be finished yet.

Speaking of casting, surprised that Stephen Root is buried in the "Guest Starring" section given his character's prominence in the series and his body of work. A part of me wonders if actors cynically ask to be billed as "Guest Stars" because they think they have a better chance of getting an Emmy nomination in the "Guest Star" category.

Love seeing the hummingbirds. I watched them drink from feeders in the backyard, and it is astonishing how they they moved with such precision, stopping on a dime and hovering perfectly in mid-air as though they were mechanical drones.
Old 07-16-20, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Change the name of the lead character, and this could have been season four of True Detective.
That makes sense since Nic Pizzolatto was originally on board with RDJ attached as the lead. RDJ is still listed as an EP of the show but Nic isn’t included in the credits.
Old 07-16-20, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I agree but it will take a turn where there wont be totally true anymore. Will be interesting to see once they transition if they can keep the mood of the show
Old 07-20-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Great episode and finally gives us the rise of Perry Mason, Esq.
Old 07-20-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:

Nailed it. Curious what Della's relationship is with the deputy DA she got to coach Perry up for the bar.
Old 07-20-20, 10:58 AM

I think last night's episode pushes Perry Mason into the #1 of best shows of 2020 for me. I thought last nights episode was almost a perfect hour of television. Man I hope this becomes a regular show. Gretchen Mol is still lovely.

I also thought the way Perry became a lawyer was handled exceptionally well as a last resort option
Old 07-20-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Nailed it. Curious what Della's relationship is with the deputy DA she got to coach Perry up for the bar.
He was named as Hamilton Burger, which was the name of the DA who lost to Perry Mason on the original TV show every week.

Figured that had to be a relative of Lithgow playing his son at the cemetery, the voice and mannerisms were creepily alike. Sure enough, there was an actor with the last name Lithgow in the credits.

Loved the revival scene. The actor playing the guy who was "cured" was superb, and it is the sort of performance that should be recognized by those Best Supporting Actor awards that most of the time seem to really just be Best 2nd Leading Actor.
Old 07-20-20, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Crocker Jarmen;13775541

Figured that had to be a relative of Lithgow playing his son at the cemetery, the voice and mannerisms were creepily alike. Sure enough, there was an actor with the last name Lithgow in the credits.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's his son. I sort of knew he was his real son right away no one can be that close to someone in both appearance mannerisms and especially voice.without being related.

Old 07-20-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole business with Della and Perry and the creation of "Perry Mason, Lawyer" and the scenes that followed were just terrific. "Hamilton Berger" was a pleasant surprise.
Old 07-21-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I was really excited for episode 5 to see how they handled the cliffhanger, but this zipped right along and seemed to take a very different path than I expected.

Really odd, and questionable (?), how they resolved Perry being a lawyer too.

one thing I’m struggling with on this show is a sense of timing. The drab tones it’s filmed in aren’t helping. I think the pilot was New Years, and then I thought I saw something referencing Jan 29 in this episode, then it was a few weeks until the bar. I think that puts us in mid-February?

Right now I think the church split and beat cop’s morality are shaping up to be interesting stories.
Old 07-21-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Really odd, and questionable (?), how they resolved Perry being a lawyer too.
It did feel pretty rushed but having the series start out on New Years makes sense since typically the bar exam is only offered in February and July. Perry must be a real whiz kid to have crammed all that learning into a few weeks,
Old 07-21-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Yeah, that whole final sequence seemed a bit rushed. I don’t know anything about the Bar exam. Is it possible to cheat on it somehow? Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention or maybe it was because the last 5 - 10 minutes of the episode was so rushed, but I kind of got the sense that the lawyer Della arranged to help Perry (Hamilton Berger?) was coaching him up on ways to pass the Bar in a not-so-honest way.
Old 07-21-20, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, that whole final sequence seemed a bit rushed. I don’t know anything about the Bar exam. Is it possible to cheat on it somehow? Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention or maybe it was because the last 5 - 10 minutes of the episode was so rushed, but I kind of got the sense that the lawyer Della arranged to help Perry (Hamilton Berger?) was coaching him up on ways to pass the Bar in a not-so-honest way.
Berger told Perry that the exam hadn't really ever changed, and he was coaching him on the questions that he knew would be on the exam.
Old 07-22-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/07/perry-m...bo-1202992061/

Renewed for a 2nd season

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.