TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Perry Mason (HBO) - S: Matthew Rhys - premieres 6/21/20

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
re: Perry Mason (HBO) - S: Matthew Rhys - premieres 6/21/20

Originally Posted by DWilson
I think they'll figure out pretty quick this is "their beloved old show" in name only.
Very, very true. Did anyone else watch this yet? I really liked it. Was both darker and funnier than I expected. Went to some disturbing places. Definitely plays to Matthew Rhys' strengths of seething anger and brooding guilt. Looks great, wonderful production values.
Wasn't surprised to see that the pilot was directed by Timothy Van Patton, the Sopranos vet who did so many episodes of Boardwalk Empire. This has a similar feel of period, but with a lot less glamour. Loved the studio's NYE party scene - very authentic feeling.
Old 06-22-20, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked everything about this one.
Old 06-22-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I was only planning to watch a short amount last night before trying to get to sleep a bit earlier than usual but before you know it I was sucked in and finished it before going to sleep. I never really watched the Perry Mason re-runs growing up so it will be interesting to see how this show develops. I also never read any of the novels. The show does a good job of just dropping you into Mason's life. The supporting cast is wonderful.

I hope the studio head head gets his comeuppance before the first season ends.
Old 06-22-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I was only planning to watch a short amount last night before trying to get to sleep a bit earlier than usual but before you know it I was sucked in and finished it before going to sleep. I never really watched the Perry Mason re-runs growing up so it will be interesting to see how this show develops. I also never read any of the novels. The show does a good job of just dropping you into Mason's life. The supporting cast is wonderful.

I hope the studio head head gets his comeuppance before the first season ends.
My understanding is that the Private Eye version of Mason is an invention of this show. Della Street was part of the series, as was Paul Drake (who'll show up later). I'm not sure how much of Mason's backstory (the War, the farm) is new to this version.
I usually wait until about the second-to-last episode to watch HBO series, but I took a shot and was impressed.
Old 06-22-20, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
My understanding is that the Private Eye version of Mason is an invention of this show. Della Street was part of the series, as was Paul Drake (who'll show up later). I'm not sure how much of Mason's backstory (the War, the farm) is new to this version.
I usually wait until about the second-to-last episode to watch HBO series, but I took a shot and was impressed.
According to the Alan Sepinwall review, Perry Mason had ZERO backstory (they mention all anyone knows about his history from the books is that he was a Leo).
Old 06-22-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoyed it. Hopefully the entire season is as solid.
Old 06-22-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I watched it today and loved it. There were some flourishes, especially in the early scene with Robert Patrick in his home with the religious angle -- it reminded me of Penny Dradful: CIty of Angels.

Also, love stories that take place in old DTLA and Angel's Flight.
Old 06-22-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
According to the Alan Sepinwall review, Perry Mason had ZERO backstory (they mention all anyone knows about his history from the books is that he was a Leo).
Yeah, I saw his review which gave me pause. I’m usually in very strong agreement with him, which is why I was worried when he weighted it so low.

We finished the premier tonight and liked it. Definitely some good laughs, but it was definitely dark.

I do hope we get some more from Rhys. Don’t get me wrong, enjoyed the acting, but it felt like a riff on Philip Jennings.

Any guess on how many takes that kitchen table scene took to shoot? I’d imagine the crew wouldn’t have been happy if they had to clean up and reset the scene!
Old 06-22-20, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I watched it today and loved it. There were some flourishes, especially in the early scene with Robert Patrick in his home with the religious angle -- it reminded me of Penny Dradful: CIty of Angels.
If it reminds you of Penny Dreadful : City of Angels now, just wait until Sister Alice shows up, played by Tatiana Maslany.

Penny Dreadful :City of Angels - Sister Molly

Perry Mason - Sister Alice

Old 06-22-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If it reminds you of Penny Dreadful : City of Angels now, just wait until Sister Alice shows up, played by Tatiana Maslany.
I hope the show doesn’t take a dip when she comes on the scene like it does when the Molly character appears in Penny Dreadful. I like that show as well but dang if I don’t find her storyline and scenes boring.
Old 06-23-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was great. The set design of early 30s LA was fantastic! There were a few disturbing scenes
Spoiler:
The dead baby shots were particular hard to watch
but was also funnier than I expected. Perry getting stuck between the bed and the wall while having sex was great.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (06-23-20)
Old 06-23-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm hoping the airfield comes into play at some point as the setting reminds me a lot of "The Rocketeer." Great atmosphere and cast so I'm optimistic that the story can transcend the usual procedural humdrum.
Old 06-25-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

It was okay, I'll watch an other couple episodes before making my final judgement. So far, Perry seems like he's just a scumbag. And while there has been tons of great shows about awful people (Tony in The Sopranos, Don Draper in Mad Men, Walter White in Breaking Bad) they were rich, interesting characters. This guys is just flat and dull. Honestly, despite the fact he hired Mason to ruin the Fatty Arbuckle character's career, I thought the Groucho look-alike studio head was right when he asked Perry "What sort of person do you want to be?" Probably not a good sign when you feel more empathy for the antagonist than the protagonist.

Great cast, nearly every scene I was shouting out excitedly, "Oh, that guy was the bad terminator! Oh, that's the wolf lady from Glow!"
Old 06-28-20, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is probably my favorite show on TV right now. Episode two was better than the first. The 1930s atmosphere is great. I’m enjoying everything about this series so far.
Old 06-29-20, 12:26 AM

I liked it as well. My god what a cast. Totally stacked. The WWI stuff was really well done, can’t believe they could shoot something like that just for backstory. I guess there is more to that story that we will see later.
The production values on this show are through the roof. That final tracking crane shot of downtown LA as the lights on the wires for the streetcars come on at dusk? Amazing.
Old 06-29-20, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
It was okay, I'll watch an other couple episodes before making my final judgement. So far, Perry seems like he's just a scumbag. And while there has been tons of great shows about awful people (Tony in The Sopranos, Don Draper in Mad Men, Walter White in Breaking Bad) they were rich, interesting characters. This guys is just flat and dull. Honestly, despite the fact he hired Mason to ruin the Fatty Arbuckle character's career, I thought the Groucho look-alike studio head was right when he asked Perry "What sort of person do you want to be?" Probably not a good sign when you feel more empathy for the antagonist than the protagonist.

Great cast, nearly every scene I was shouting out excitedly, "Oh, that guy was the bad terminator! Oh, that's the wolf lady from Glow!"
I think the what person do you want to be? is the entire point of the show. Ultimately I think it will show the redemption of Mason into the character today. It's sort of an 8 hour origin show.

I think it is really when done. Feels like the spiritual successor to Boardwalk Empire though I think they actually do the retro thing even better in this show. I had missed the first episode watched it and immediately the second. Really liked it. Felt like the NYE celebration used Babylon Berlin a little as its inspiration.
Old 06-29-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They pulled a Saving Private Ryan bookended sequence in WWI, which was fantastic. Great episode!
Old 07-01-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The scene in E.B. the lawyer's office between the four of them was superb. So much of the show is grim and dour, it really pops when there's a scene with this much energy and life and a bit of humour.

The Sister Amy-like character's production is well done. When she approached the men in the front row to speak directly to them, for a moment I thought she was legitimately going to lambast them. I think just once, it would be interesting to see a crime movie where the religious figure isn't a hypocrite weirdo involved in shady underworld business.
Old 07-01-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Sister Amy-like character's production is well done. When she approached the men in the front row to speak directly to them, for a moment I thought she was legitimately going to lambast them. I think just once, it would be interesting to see a crime movie where the religious figure isn't a hypocrite weirdo involved in shady underworld business.
I think that’s one thing I really like about this show. It feels like anything can happen. It’s kind of refreshing to watch a show where I can’t necessarily predict where the show is going. I, mean, we got a dead baby with its eyes sewn shut and a lingering shot on a completely mangled head so far in 2 episodes. Who knows what we’ll get next?!
Old 07-06-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another great episode!
Old 07-06-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, that was a great episode! I'm very invested in this show now.

One criticism I have about HBO is that so many of their shows seem to go out of their way to be cryptic and ambiguous. I can enjoy a TV program like that, but it gets tiring when show after show I watch has that same tone. I love how this mini-series is focusing on telling a really good story. Right now this is the most entertaining program I've watched this year.
Old 07-06-20, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The courtroom scene was terrific. It made me laugh out loud (not in a derisive way) each time the crowd's outrage got bigger and bigger. I knew I recognized the judge, but couldn't place who he was, but thanks to the end credits I realize he's (one of those 'that guy's) Matt Frewer.
Old 07-06-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

The good reviews here have me excited to watch this. The trailer blew me away as well due to the visuals.
Old 07-06-20, 04:01 PM

The courtroom scene was terrific. It made me laugh out loud (not in a derisive way) each time the crowd's outrage got bigger and bigger. I knew I recognized the judge, but couldn't place who he was, but thanks to the end credits I realize he's (one of those 'that guy's) Matt Frewer.
Max Headroom! I had no idea. Was so disappointed that he wasn't in Ready Player One since he features so prominently in the book.

This last episode was alright but by far my least favorite episode of the three
Spoiler:
Regarding the end :

Spoiler:
Did Sister Alice die?

Old 07-06-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Did Sister Alice die?

Spoiler:
Oh, no! Is Sister Alice lost at sea? Will E.B. raise enough money for Emily's bail? Has Pete Strickland gotten his last blowjob? Tune in Sunday to find out, same bat-time, same bat-channel!
[/spoiler]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.