Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passage (FOX) -- S: Gosselaar -- From EP Ridley Scott & Matt Reeves -- 1/14/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Passage (FOX) -- S: Gosselaar -- From EP Ridley Scott & Matt Reeves -- 1/14/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: The Passage (FOX) -- S: Gosselaar -- From EP Ridley Scott & Matt Reeves -- 1/14/19

That is really too bad. I expect with the post apocalyptic turns with the time jump this might have been a much more expensive second season. I was honestly looking forward to that story line more so than the linear timeline the first season used to play everything out in 'real time' unlike the books which had chapters cross back and forth a bit. Not a big deal either way as by the end I could take or leave the show but I would have watched the next season with at least some curiosity.
Old 05-10-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Passage (FOX) -- S: Gosselaar -- From EP Ridley Scott & Matt Reeves -- 1/14/19

They're either renewing The Orville or holding off to the last second to avoid the negative wave of geek flack.

I liked The Passage but the second season really would have been liked relaunching a new show for them at a higher budget.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-10-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-10-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Given the change in setting, I didn't think it would come back. It's still not a terrible one-and-done program, I'd recommend it if you like the cast.
Old 05-10-19, 05:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really too bad. I actually enjoyed it a lot and was looking forward to the time jump story. I thought it was well done.
Old 05-11-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by tstouder
That's really too bad. I actually enjoyed it a lot and was looking forward to the time jump story. I thought it was well done.
Holy shit! 24 posts since 2004 and you choose this thread as one of them. You must really enjoy the show!
Old 05-11-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

I enjoyed the show and was looking forward to more, though that time jump at the end of the season put a bit of a damper on it for me.

Those who liked this show might like the movie The Girl with All the Gifts. Some similar themes and characters, but with zombies instead of vampires. I quite liked it. It is based on a book, too, which I haven't read yet. The movie is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video.
Old 05-11-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Well that sucks.
This was my most anticipated new show last year. I really enjoyed the books and could not wait for this show.
But I knew it was in trouble once I heard it was going to Fox. Then they decided to change it from the book premise. I've never understood that philosophy. People love these books! Yeah, let's change them!

The girl playing Amy did a great job. And even though they strayed from the book I still enjoyed it. Just not as much as the books.

I'm kind of surprised. They advertised the shit out of this show, especially before the premier. And I thought they would give it one more season.
Well maybe one day we'll get a movie trilogy. But I'm sure the first one will come out and flop, then they won't do the next two.
Old 05-12-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Networks just don't see viewership growth in serialized adventure/fantasy series. If a show isn't fairly large out of the gate, it's likely getting canceled. That is why they hype it up and advertise it so heavily before the premiere.
Old 05-13-19, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Aaaaand this is why I mostly reject serial shows on networks. This show had no chance and should have been a 10 part series on a premium station or Netflix / Hulu. Too bad because the source content is great stuff.
Old 05-13-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Aaaaand this is why I mostly reject serial shows on networks. This show had no chance and should have been a 10 part series on a premium station or Netflix / Hulu. Too bad because the source content is great stuff.
Netflix likes to cancel stuff and leave it unfinished these days. Hulu and AMC seem a little better about letting things conclude.

It all depends on the ratings.