Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8/19

Old 01-13-19, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

John Simm takes the role of Professor Jonah Mulray who receives a devastating international phone call about the death of his wife, Megan (Dervla Kirwan), who has been working in Hong Kong. He's poleaxed with grief, but has to galvanise himself to board a plane for Asia to identify his beloved wife's body. Megan has died in a car accident on the beautiful mountain roads at the top of Tai Po overlooking Hong Kong, and although a notorious black-spot, Jonah feels he must unravel the circumstances of her death following an emotional voicemail left by his wife just seconds before her death. With the help of Sally Porter (Emilia Fox) from the British Consulate, Jonah is taken to the mortuary and in the saddest of surroundings he realises his wife has gone forever.

Heartbroken Jonah is interviewed by Hong Kong detectives Daniel Tsang, Felix Chang and Wilfred Chow about Megan's death, but frustratingly they appear to be going through the motions. Is there more to the police investigation than the officers are revealing?
PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Anthony Hayes
Anthony Wong
Dervla Kirwan as Megan
Emilia Fox as Sally Porter
John Simm as Jonah Mulray
Katie Leung
Raquel Cassidy
Tim McInnerny

6 episode series, which premieres on Amazon February 8th.

Just saw this trailer today and it looks quite intriguing. Plus, it's got 2 good leads. John Simm the star of UK version of Life on Mars and Anthony Wong, a very well known Hong Kong actor.

This doesn't premiere until next month, but I thought I would put this on all of your radars for those with Amazon.

Old 01-13-19, 11:33 PM

Re: White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8

I really like John Simm and Emilia fox, I had no idea this was a thing. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-14-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8

That looks good

any idea if itís a BBC or ITV co-production? Could even be an original that Amazon just puts their name on, but they donít seem to do that as much as Netflix.
Old 01-14-19, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
That looks good

any idea if itís a BBC or ITV co-production? Could even be an original that Amazon just puts their name on, but they donít seem to do that as much as Netflix.
Yea, it already aired on ITV - Strangers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strang...018_TV_series)
Old 02-07-19, 07:03 AM

Re: White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8/19

This is up tomorrow.
Old 02-07-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: White Dragon (Amazon) -- S: John Simm, Anthony Wong - UK/Hong Kong thriller - 2/8/19

I like these international casts/productions, I'm gonna check this out
Old 02-10-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the 1st episode last night. It was pretty good. Looks great in 4K UHD.

I like the cast and especially like the real Hong Kong locations. It's an interesting set up so far.
Old 02-11-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got through 4 episodes last night. It's actually an 8 episode season, not 6 as I earlier noted.

Quite good so far. I like the mystery angle. I'll probably finish this up either today or tomorrow. Simm is great and I've enjoyed Anthony Wong as well. Episode 4 actually ended on a sort of cliffhanger as the show moved to Macau.
Old 02-12-19, 07:05 AM

I like it so far, on the 2nd ep... not as much Action as I expected, but enjoying the Hong Kong backdrop and the story unfolding... I should stick with it, but I think it might take a few weeks for me...
Old 02-12-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize this was a weekly series. I binged through whatever episodes had aired and wondered why it stopped.
Old 02-12-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I didn't realize this was a weekly series. I binged through whatever episodes had aired and wondered why it stopped.
So you thought you were watching an 8 hour movie?

All the episodes were posted 4 days ago.
Old 02-13-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished this last night. Great 1 and done series. It had a good amount of suspense.

Simm was solid as the lead character Jonah and I liked the dynamic he had with Anthony Wong.

Basically the big mystery behind the whole series is revealed in episode 7. The finale wrapped up the entire story arc. This isn't an action series 1st and foremost. It's an international murder mystery with some political intrigue.

I know this isn't on most of your radars, but this is a good series and pretty easy to binge. I think the Hong Kong backdrop really added to it as well.

I'm being fairly generic and vague because I don't want to reveal spoilers since I assume most who are clicking this haven't seen it.
Old 02-13-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So you thought you were watching an 8 hour movie?

All the episodes were posted 4 days ago.
I dunno why it just cut out at episode 6 for me, instead of it going to the next episode. I was like.. well, that's a peculiar place to end the season?
Old 02-26-19, 10:01 AM

just finished, overall pretty good, slow burn in some spots, but filmed on location looks good in HD and the story was interesting...
Old 02-26-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Basically the big mystery behind the whole series is revealed in episode 7. The finale wrapped up the entire story arc. This isn't an action series 1st and foremost. It's an international murder mystery with some political intrigue.

I
Yeah, that
Spoiler:
old man was cold as fuck. I thought he would just let the girl go.
Old 02-26-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this only available in the US? I can't find this on my Prime Video Canada.
Old 02-26-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Is this only available in the US? I can't find this on my Prime Video Canada.
Unfortunately it appears this is a U.S. Amazon exclusive.
Old 02-27-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately it appears this is a U.S. Amazon exclusive.
That sucks! Thanks!