Reload this Page >

Schooled (ABC) -- S: A.J. Michalka -- The Goldbergs spinoff -- Premieres 1/9/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-09-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

SERIES PREMIERE

LAINEY LEWIS REVISITS HER PAST TO START THE NEXT CHAPTER OF HER LIFE ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'SCHOOLED,' AIRING WEDNESDAY, JAN. 9

"Be Like Mike" - It's 1990-something, and since Lainey still hasn't achieved rock 'n' roll greatness, she returns to William Penn Academy as the new music teacher. Lainey has a hard time adjusting to being an authority figure, but she realizes she might not be so bad at it when she discovers a kindred spirit in Principal Glascott's niece, Felicia. Meanwhile, Coach Mellor struggles with Michael Jordan's influence on modern-day basketball on the series premiere of "Schooled," airing WEDNESDAY, JAN. 9 (8:31-9:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

"Schooled" stars Tim Meadows as Principal Glascott, Bryan Callen as Coach Mellor, AJ Michalka as Lainey Lewis and Brett Dier as CB.

Guest starring is Wendi McLendon-Covey as Beverly Goldberg, Patton Oswalt as Adult Adam (v.o.), David Koechner as Bill Lewis, Stephen Tobolowsky as Earl Ball, Rachel Crow as Felicia, Sean Marquette as Johnny Atkins, Zachary Haven as Aaron Finkle, Roni Akurati as Sanjeev, Philip Jeanmarie as Producer, Hunter Doohan as Matty, Kyson Facer as Duffy, Connor Rosen as Howie Levy, Johnny Lee Paddio Jr. as Baby Back Ribs Singer, Erik Brooks as Baby Back Ribs Singer and Thomas Hobson as Baby Back Ribs Singer.

"Be Like Mike" was written by Marc Firek and directed by David Katzenberg.

Created by Adam F. Goldberg & Marc Firek, the series is from Sony Pictures Television and ABC Studios. Adam F. Goldberg, Doug Robinson and Marc Firek are executive producers.

Old 01-09-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Schooled (ABC) -- S: A.J. Michalka -- The Goldbergs spinoff -- Premieres 1/9/18

Since Lainey and Barry are supposed to be getting married will Barry be in this also?
Old 01-09-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Schooled (ABC) -- S: A.J. Michalka -- The Goldbergs spinoff -- Premieres 1/9/18

This seems like an ill-conceived spinoff. Not sure it's gonna work.

If Lainey and Barry are still together in this timeline, it would be dumb if we only hear about him and never/rarely see him.

If The Goldbergs is still running, and assuming Lainey's still on the show - would this be the first time a character is a regular character on a show and it's spinoff at the same time? If not, would this be the first time that's happened in two different timelines?

Anyways, I'll give this a shot.
Old 01-09-19, 05:16 PM

The oldest daughter on black-ish is still on the original show and the spinoff, grown-ish. That's basically the same timeline though. She might not be considered a regular on black-ish anymore though. Also, Charlie is on both shows.
Old 01-09-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If Lainey and Barry are still together in this timeline, it would be dumb if we only hear about him and never/rarely see him.
My assumption is he'll make appearances but it's not like my wife is at my workplace all the time. I'm looking forward to it - I like Lainey.
Old 01-09-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They can use Barry on the new show and he won’t have to wear his wig so he appears to be older Barry.
Old 01-09-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the latest Goldbergs and this first episode answers that question.

Neat that Matt Ryan was coached by the shows coach in real life.

I'll give this a few more episodes.
Old 01-09-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was pretty good.

Jon Lovitz was in the credits I guess he had a scene cut out.
Old 01-10-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy the Indiewire review for this was ridiculous. It's about two paragraphs of the reviewer complaining about how they should have kept the original cast for diversity, how another predominantly African American sitcom is needed, and would look good on ABC with all the "diverse" sitcoms they have, then trashes it and gives it a B-(which to me appears that it's decent).

Personally, I enjoyed it way more than the backdoor pilot which I thought was awful. It was decent and I'm in for a few more episodes. It's not a classic, but it isn't Joey either, it's just an enjoyable 30 minute sitcom(like The Goldbergs is) and it made me laugh a decent amount. I think focusing on Lainey and Mellor will work better than Glascot and his annoying extended family. Pretty cool ending also finding out who the character of Matt was based on.

Last edited by robin2099; 01-10-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it but I'm not sure it's gonna last. It's alot better than the last pilot they tried anyhow.

Adam Goldberg did say that Barry will be in a few episodes this season so there's that.
Old 01-10-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed it. It doesn't seem as 90s-focused as The Goldbergs is on the 80s. I love the 80s stuff on Goldbergs but that's fine to keep it a little different.

I also liked the transition from Patton Oswalt's narration to AJ Michalka. I did notice that she was third billed after Tim Meadows and Bryan Callen (she got the "and" credit). I figured she'd be top billed.

I've always liked Coach Mellor and my mom just recently retired after teaching her whole life and that stuff always gets to me.

Last edited by Draven; 01-10-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 11:45 AM

Schooled: Season One - $2.99

Amazon Amazon

Obviously a misprice, so grab it quick.
Old 01-10-19, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Schooled: Season One - $2.99

https://www.amazon.com/Episode-0101/dp/B07M7L5D2Y/

Obviously a misprice, so grab it quick.
You weren't kidding, I clicked the link, saw the $2.99 price. Copied it to a friend on Messenger. Then came back to buy it with my slow shipping credits and it was denied because of a price change. Refresh and it's $19.99.
Old 01-17-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its like a less-stale Goldbergs. I'm enjoying it. I liked all the "She's All That"ing that was happening in the 2nd episode.
Old 01-17-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Its like a less-stale Goldbergs. I'm enjoying it. I liked all the "She's All That"ing that was happening in the 2nd episode.
It's not as stale as Goldbergs, but that's only because this is only the 2nd episode.
I think the show has a problem with its characters. Lainey isn't a good enough character to be a lead, and the secondary characters work when they were in the Goldbergs - they're not interesting enough to get beefier roles. The young male teacher across the hall is pretty hum-drum.

Back to a stale Golbergs... when the latest episode started and it had Adam getting his mom to get him out of running - I thought it was a repeat episode.. and then realized it was new when they mentioned Lainey leaving to pursue her dreams. That's how repetitive this show is.
Old 01-18-19, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
It was pretty good.

Jon Lovitz was in the credits I guess he had a scene cut out.
They're actually combining the credits for The Goldbergs and Schooled, so Lovitz' appearance on The Goldbergs wasn't listed till the end of Schooled.

I just don't think the Lainey Lewis and Coach Mellor characters are strong enough to build a sitcom around. It'd be like a Cheers spinoff featuring Carla's ex-husband.
Old 01-18-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funniest thing in two episodes to me was the cameo showing that the Rush fan was now the janitor
Old 01-30-19, 11:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i'm just loving this show. not as zany as The Goldberg's. Much more heart, but still gets zany, but really well done and familiarity (with same characters) in different era is just great. she (A.J.) is much better on this show than Goldberg's imo...
Old 01-30-19, 11:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
It'd be like a Cheers spinoff featuring Carla's ex-husband.
which one? lol i would love to see the life of legendary hockey goalie turned ice capades who dies by zamboni Eddie Lebec story. of course with him and Hedaya dead would be hard to do...
but, the writing really is great and just as good, if not better than Goldberg's or at least most sitcoms on tv...
Old 01-30-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still not sold... it still has an issue with none of characters being lead material.

The young male teacher is annoying. It seems like the actor was only cast because he can do lame impressions and goofy stuff. This is the kind of stuff you use to see (still see?) on a Saturday morning young teen sitcom where adults are being kooky to amuse the kids.
Old 01-31-19, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
which one? lol i would love to see the life of legendary hockey goalie turned ice capades who dies by zamboni Eddie Lebec story. of course with him and Hedaya dead would be hard to do...
Jay Thomas is indeed gone, but Dan Hedaya is still very much alive.

However, I was making an inside joke as they DID make a spinoff sitcom featuring his Nick Tortelli character that lasted about 3 episodes.
Old 01-31-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show is not great. I am still watching and quasi-enjoying the Goldbergs.. but that show is very tired. This show seems tired coming out of the gate. Will give a few more eps.
Old 01-31-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

. It'd be like a Cheers spinoff featuring Carla's ex-husband.
However, I was making an inside joke as they DID make a spinoff sitcom featuring his Nick Tortelli character that lasted about 3 episodes.
Paff, I got your joke. Apologies on behalf of he forum you had to explain it.