Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

Old 01-28-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent: The Champions (NBC) -- premieres 1/7/19

Last week the kid dj who won in his season and these two dancing brothers won their season, yikes slim pickings in Sweden and South Africa I guess.

The regurgitater has to be doing a trick. Has to be some slight of hand going on.
Old 01-28-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
The regurgitater has to be doing a trick. Has to be some slight of hand going on.
It's a little of both. Some of what he does is real, some (like the bolt/nut) is planted ahead of time.
Old 01-29-19, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I think it’s a combination of sleight of hand and being able to hide things in his mouth.

He’s been doing this for a long time...

That old video makes me I think I remember seeing him on Letterman in the 80s. His younger self looks really familiar.
Old 01-29-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That old video makes me I think I remember seeing him on Letterman in the 80s. His younger self looks really familiar.

I first saw him on an episode of Howard Stern's "Channel 9" TV show in around 1991. So it was kind of funny to see him on AGT with Howard as a judge 25 years later.

On Letterman in 1988:

Last edited by Bill Needle; 01-29-19 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow... I remember watching that on Letterman back when I was in junior high or high school.

Wonder if Simon’s buzz was pre-planned, or used as a distraction. I would think the last thing you’d want to do while someone was sucking a razor blade into their mouth would be to startle them.

Issy Simpson, the ten year-old magician, was good, but the pre-printed shirt was kind of a giveaway that she forced a card on Howie.

And I think this is her blackboard...

Old 01-29-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I haven't watched the regular show in years so most of these acts are new to me, which makes this series more interesting for me. However, last night's bunch were probably the weakest set so far (most were good, not great). It's interesting that most of the magicians are doing essentially the same high-tech Kreskin routines (did I just announce my age?). I also thought the ventriloquist (who was a past winner) was extremely average. Apparently the finale will be 75% singers.
Old 01-29-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
It's interesting that most of the magicians are doing essentially the same high-tech Kreskin routines (did I just announce my age?).
Stage magic seems to suffer a bit in the high tech world we’re living in, with computers, precision robotics, wifi, tiny earpieces, mini cameras, bluetooth, and all of that good stuff.

I also thought the ventriloquist (who was a past winner) was extremely average.
Yeah, he didn’t have much of an act last night, all he really did was showcase his (new?) thing where he simultaneously hummed and beat boxed, which was technically impressive, but not a particularly compelling act.

The bit he did on his first apearance on AGT where he used Howie for a dummie was great.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-29-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't watched the regular show in years so most of these acts are new to me, which makes this series more interesting for me. However, last night's bunch were probably the weakest set so far (most were good, not great). It's interesting that most of the magicians are doing essentially the same high-tech Kreskin routines (did I just announce my age?). I also thought the ventriloquist (who was a past winner) was extremely average. Apparently the finale will be 75% singers.
Yeah they picked a really flat group this time. Too many damn singers! Tape Face has a great character and look, but I wouldn't call anything he does much of a talent. The two singers who won are very bland to me. The stuttering comedian was downright awful too. I did like the girl doing magic but yea the forced choice routine isn't impressing me anymore. At least next week looks exciting and I look forward to more Shin.

Really annoying seeing Simon give a golden buzzer only because he has a personal connection with the performer.
Old 01-30-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the final was shaping up to be a joke and the choices since then have not helped. Maybe one act going through would even be in my top 20 (of only 40 so far).

I did get a big chuckle from the shocking reveal that two acts were tied for third. Then they revealed the acts that finished third and - wait for it - it was the same two acts! What are the odds?
Old 01-30-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

We've been enjoying this a bunch. They've picked a good mix of acts to return, and some decent ones to introduce the US to from foreign "got talent" shows. However, the kid DJ and the dancing brothers wouldn't have made it very far on a traditional AGT show.

This last episode was probably the weakest of the bunch though. Brian Justin Crum and Kechi were both great, but two more singers? Yea?

Zerdin & Kenichi seemed a hair off their game. The Texas Tenors were new to me (we didn't watch the first handful of seasons) and entertaining. The girl magician was fun, but as pointed out, most of the magicians seem to all be doing variations on the same trick. Drew Lynch was decent but he needs to do some regular comedy and not just rely on stuttering jokes. The Regurgitator, while entertaining in a "how does he do it?" way, doesn't hold much appeal for me. That leaves Tape Face who is always entertaining. I'd put him in the top 3 of this episode, but not sure if this performance in particular would be worthy of knocking off Brian or Kechi.

With all these runner ups returning, I have to wonder if we'll see a return of William Close and his Earth Harp. He got robbed losing (well, 3rd place) to dogs. He deserves another shot.
Old 02-03-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to my DVR entry for the finale, there will be two "Wild Cards".
Old 02-03-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
With all these runner ups returning, I have to wonder if we'll see a return of William Close and his Earth Harp. He got robbed losing (well, 3rd place) to dogs. He deserves another shot.
It looks like he'll be appearing on CBS' "The World's Best", or at least someone doing the same act.
Old 02-05-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught the beginning of this weeks ep.

the 10 year old girl who is now 18 grew up nicely.
Her voice is great too.

There is nothing anyone can do to convince me that mentalist or whatever his act is didn’t have a plant to say Hasslehoff and then The Hoff appears in the seats. He said if he gets it wrong to immediately X him and eliminate him off the show.
Thats exactly what should have happened,
Old 02-05-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it was an obvious “plant” situation with Hasselhoff.

Only question is if Howie was in on it when he gave the “L3.”
Old 02-07-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This might have been the strongest group of 10. Glad to see Simonova get the buzzer. That was fantastic. I know we had a similar act 4-5 years back, but with the story and music and just art style...she was phenomenal. Outside of her as we were watching I was hoping the other act would have been either:

Jackie Evancho was amazing. I wanted to hear her paired up with a male and just listen to them do the entire Phantom soundtrack. I wasn't ready for that performance to end. OR Attraction, like Simonova, the story and music was just powerful. I think they suffered from overlap in style with Simonova.

And then Shin Lim showed up. Dude is mesmerizing and has incredibly graceful hands.

Really couldn't go wrong with those three.

Colin's act was cool, but it was too "magic-y" instead of the mentalist style he'd done before. Enjoyed the rest (except for Sal who seemed out of his league with this bunch) so I won't run down them all.

Last one I wanted to mention though was Cosentino. Is it just me or did it seem like the button was a dummy switch unrelated to what was actually going on? The whole rig seemed like the elements were triggered after he unocked each piece, mabye by a magnetic trigger switch. So undoing the clamp on his right hand would trigger the arrow shot and bear trap. Undoing the left, the same. Then he's standing on a pressure plate that triggers the fire after he jumps off it. It was flashy but seemed pretty cheesy.
Old 02-08-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah every part of that Costino act was a trigger.
Iether it was him or another act that did the same exact thing on this show a couple seasons ago.
Awful. I know the judges are part of the show but they really over do it with these obvious acts.
Old 02-08-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Escape artist acts are usually really tightly controlled — ie, the more dangerous it looks, the less actual danger they’re in. When you see one like Cosentino, where he’s a split second away from a setious injury or death like that, it’s a safe bet that it’s rigged.
Old 02-08-19, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, I'm sure most of them are rigged in some fashion, this just felt way too obvious, probably because the timing was so exact. He needs to put a delay on that second trigger so it feels like it wasn't timed exactly like the first.

It also looked like the arrows were aimed below where his arm actually was.
Old 02-08-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Escape artist acts are usually really tightly controlled — ie, the more dangerous it looks, the less actual danger they’re in. When you see one like Cosentino, where he’s a split second away from a setious injury or death like that, it’s a safe bet that it’s rigged.
You have to be a bit extra to not know this.
Not you literally but in general.
Old 02-08-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony

You have to be a bit extra to not know this.
Not you literally but in general.
I know there's a part of the audience that watched these acts ( and I'm including the magic acts as well) cynically and watches or predicts how it's rigged (I would count myself), while assume another part assumes on one level that's there's trickery but put it aside for the enjoyment, and a larger part of the audience who are just unaware and amazed. If everyone watched these things with bitter analysis, these acts would go away.

And by the way, there are many strong acts who didn't go through, -who will be the two wild cards? Or, for the more cynical, -who's the fix in for?
Old 02-08-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know there's a part of the audience that watched these acts ( and I'm including the magic acts as well) cynically and watches or predicts how it's rigged (I would count myself), while assume another part assumes on one level that's there's trickery but put it aside for the enjoyment, and a larger part of the audience who are just unaware and amazed. If everyone watched these things with bitter analysis, these acts would go away.

And by the way, there are many strong acts who didn't go through, -who will be the two wild cards? Or, for the more cynical, -who's the fix in for?
No doubt. It’s more about presentation and execution of these acts on stage and that’s the problem with acts like this guy and the mentalist who predicted the Hoff.
They make it too obvious as to what happens and leave no mystery to what they have done.

I know there’s no magic but the mystery of how it’s done can make an ordinary trick into a great trick.
Old 02-08-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Not surprising...the wildcards are:
Spoiler:
Jon Dorenbos and ventriloquist Darci Lynne Farmer

https://tvline.com/2019/02/08/agt-ch...orenbos-video/
Old 02-08-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bummer. I'm down for the first name in your spoiler and kinda over the second one. I'd much rather see Jackie Evancho again even if she's just another singer.
Old 02-09-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Simonova was fanastic, hope she wins it all, an amazing display..
love me some shin lim...
Old 02-09-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shim Lin is very good at his tricks but he has the stage presence and personality of a rock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.