Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 05:33 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-T9FTsBVt5Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bob Fosse is a visionary filmmaker and one of theater’s most influential choreographers and directors. Gwen Verdon is the greatest Broadway dancer of all time. Fosse/Verdon will tell the story of these two brilliant, complicated individuals – the love they shared, the art they created, and the price they paid in the pursuit of greatness.
The finger snaps, angled poses and glimpses of Weimar decadence come fast and furious in FX’s first teaser for Fosse/Verdon, the upcoming limited series about Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon. Only one word is uttered: After the dancers have been put through the paces, Fosse, played by Sam Rockwell, orders “Again!”
Verdon is played by Michelle Williams.

Also in the cast: Norbert Leo Butz, Margaret Qualley, Aya Cash, Nate Corddry, Susan Misner, Bianca Marroquin, Kelli Barrett (as Liza Minnelli), Evan Handler, Rick Holmes and Paul Reiser. Ethan Slater, who recently starred as Broadway’s SpongeBob SquarePants, will play Joel Grey, with Byron Jennings as George Abbott and Laura Osnes as Shirley MacLaine.

Exec producing are Thomas Kail, Steven Levenson, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Joel Fields, Miranda, Rockwell, Williams and George Stelzner, with Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions producing.  Levenson, who will serve as showrunner, wrote the premiere episode which will be directed by Kail.  Actress, dancer and producer Nicole Fosse, and daughter of Fosse and Verdon, serves as Co-Executive Producer and oversees The Verdon Fosse Legacy. Co-Producer Andy Blankenbuehler is serving as a Choreographer, as is Susan Misner. Erica Kay serves as Producer.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/fosse-v...ic-1202529973/

Coming in April.

Super excited for this. Hopefully it is half as good as something like All That Jazz.
Old 01-07-19, 09:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- Apri

Agree, stoked for this
Old 01-07-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- Apri

Huge All That Jazz fan. Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.
Old 02-28-19, 01:39 PM

re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UgSA6o1UyYw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-05-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Glad they're finally giving Michelle Williams a chance to play a woman in a bad relationship!

This looks really well done.
Old 04-09-19, 07:23 AM

Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

<iframe width="702" height="395" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/42ltOGHeRk4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FX's highly-anticipated Fosse/Verdon limited series will premiere Tuesday, April 9 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on FX, it was announced today by Chuck Saftler, President, Program Strategy and COO, FX Networks. Fosse/Verdon is an eight-episode limited series from award-winning producers Thomas Kail, Steven Levenson, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Joel Fields. Production on the series is currently underway in New York City. Based on Fosse, the biography written by Sam Wasson, Fosse/Verdon tells the story of the singular romantic and creative partnership between Bob Fosse and Gwen Verdon. He was a visionary filmmaker and one of theater's most influential choreographers and directors. She was the greatest Broadway dancer of all time. Together, they changed the face of American entertainment - at a perilous cost. Featuring Fosse's choreography, the series explores the hidden corners of show business, the price of pursuing greatness, and the suffering inflicted in the name of art. Fosse/Verdon stars four-time Academy Award(R) nominee Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon, and Academy Award winner Sam Rockwell - who received a Best Supporting Actor nomination today for Vice - as Bob Fosse. Norbert Leo Butz and Margaret Qualley also star, along with a stellar recurring cast that includes Aya Cash, Nate Corddry, Susan Misner, Bianca Marroquin, Kelli Barrett, Evan Handler, Rick Holmes, Paul Reiser, Ethan Slater and Byron Jennings.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aya Cash as Joan Simon
· Bianca Marroquin as Chita Rivera
· Byron Jennings as George Abbott
· Ethan Slater as Joel Grey
· Evan Handler as Hal Prince
· Kelli Barrett as Liza Minnelli
· Laura Osnes as Shirley MacLaine
· Margaret Qualley as Ann Reinking
· Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon
· Nate Corddry as Neil Simon
· Norbert Leo Butz as Paddy Chayefsky
· Paul Reiser as Cy Feuer
· Rick Holmes as Fred Weaver
· Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse
· Susan Misner as Joan McCracken

CREW INFORMATION:
· Andy Blankenbuehler as CO-PROD
· Erica Kay as PROD
· George Stelzner as EP
· Joel Fields as EP
· Lin-Manuel Miranda as EP
· Michelle Williams as EP
· Nicole Fosse as CO-EP
· Sam Rockwell as EP
· Sam Wasson as BOOK
· Steven Levenson as CRTR/EP
· Susan Misner as CO-PROD
· Thomas Kail as EP/DIR (Pilot)
Old 04-09-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Looks good
Old 04-09-19, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I'm in.
Old 04-09-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

DVR set!
Old 04-09-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Thanks guys. Forgot about this, and I'm actively trying to CLEAR my DVR rather than add more to it, but this one looks like a don't-miss-it.
Old 04-15-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Parts of this were really great, parts I didn't care for as much, but overall found it to be a pretty crisp show. I do love all the music scenes and the cabaret scenes with Liza were dynamite as well as the opening scenes. Some very good stuff in this. in for the series run.

Last edited by mphtrilogy; 04-15-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the most recent episode, but I'm really enjoying the series so far. It can be a little confusing when they jump back and forth in time, as the only way to tell it's later chronologically is Fosse's hairline. Even the title cards can be deceptive ("256 days after Gwen Verdon's first Tony")

That said, it was interesting to see (thanks to AV Club) the film version of "Who's Got the Pain?" in Damn Yankees; Fosse and Verdon performed it themselves. I don't think we'll see that recreated in the series, because even though Rockwell has some dancing chops, there's no way he can compete with the real deal. What did Fosse weigh? Like a buck ten?
Old 05-01-19, 02:17 PM

Glad you bumped this, it’s been terrific!
Old 05-01-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Fosse did a dance cameo in "The Little Prince" in the '70s, long after he'd stopped dancing professionally (it's available on you.tube). The director allowed him to choreograph the piece, wear a hat, whatever he wanted to get him to do it. I'll be curious if it comes up.
Rockwell is quite good, but I'm really impressed with Michelle Williams.
Old 05-01-19, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m only one episode in but what I’m wondering is when they get to All That Jazz if there is someone going to be playing Cliff Gorman playing Dustin Hoffman playing Lenny Bruce.
Old 05-09-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. I gotta wait for a re-airing this weekend. I DVR'd it Tuesday, but it ran over and my recording cut short. Normally that doesn't happen, it's aware when shows have longer episodes (Walking Dead, American Horror, etc) but this week's got cut off at 1 hour. The re-airing now lists the length as 1:25.

And (in the parts I did see from this week's), while Hoffman's name was dropped several times, I'm pretty sure they mentioned Gorman too.
Old 05-09-19, 07:37 PM

Very long ep, but good stuff this week, sadly no dancing, but some great performances in this weeks southampton ep...
Old 05-13-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally caught up with the rest of the episode over the weekend. Glad I did. While there was no real surprise in the narrative (we know Fosse will go on to direct Chicago), it was insightful to the Fosse and Verdon characters (and especially their relationship) as to when he changes his mind. I wonder if he really was that reluctant to take on the play in addition to making Lenny.
Old 05-13-19, 02:49 PM

Caught up with the 2 recent episodes over the weekend. Really liked them both - the southhampton episode in particular. Pretty good use of a 'bottle' episode for this show.
Old 05-13-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gwen was a real piece of shit in that one, wasn't she? Knocking down the Lenny Bruce film as "Atticus Finch, we've seen it" but only because she's dying to make Chicago happen. If that's what the real Gwen Verdon was like, then those two deserved each other. I'm trying to figure out Ann Reiking's angle. I also did not realize that she played Roxie Hart in the Chicago revival two decades later.
Old 05-13-19, 06:58 PM

The set work is fantastic on this, the 70s vibe and cigs everywhere.. my folks smoked two packs of pall mall a day.. and we were surrounded by ashtrays everywhere.. also feels like they are getting the daughter’s story right.. stay out of the way kid we are having a party/life here...
Old 05-15-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the reason that Nicole had to be tarted up to visit her dad in the hospital, but a reviewer said there was a "no kids" policy for visitors. Was that given in the episode, and I just zoned out for a second?
Old 05-15-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I missed the reason that Nicole had to be tarted up to visit her dad in the hospital, but a reviewer said there was a "no kids" policy for visitors. Was that given in the episode, and I just zoned out for a second?
yes, you zoned.
Old 05-30-19, 08:42 AM

Fantastic mini-series that should clean up at the Emmy's, Rockwell was amazing, I've always liked him, but he seemed to inhabit this role.

Touching finale...
Old 05-30-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was excellent, wasn't it?

With Fosse/Verdon and Killing Eve now over, I can throw my attention to Chernobyl. I keep wanting to unplug, but there's just some damn good content being produced nowadays. Hardly the "boob tube" anymore, is it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.