Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Originally Posted by Paff
It was excellent, wasn't it?

With Fosse/Verdon and Killing Eve now over, I can throw my attention to Chernobyl. I keep wanting to unplug, but there's just some damn good content being produced nowadays. Hardly the "boob tube" anymore, is it?
Chernobyl is the other phenomenal work on tv right now... prob the best thing on tv this year...

I've got eps of seinfeld and wkrp on standby for emergency deplugs as well as a stack of vinyl to listen to
Old 05-30-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: Fosse/Verdon (FX) -- limited series -- S: Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams -- 4/9/19

Probably should move to the Chernobyl thread for this, but I watched the first episode and was underwhelmed. So it kinda fell off my radar, especially with a near-full DVR. But I cleared some space, enough to throw on subsequent episodes when they ran 1-3 on Memorial Day. I watched ep 2 last night and was absolutely riveted to the screen the entire time. Will be completely caught up before the finale airs Monday.
Old 05-30-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Wifey and I loved this series. Didn't realize last night was the finale. Ended beautifully.
Old 05-30-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

What I found interesting is that the series showed more of the negative side of Gwen Verdon than did the book it's based upon.
Again, while I thought Rockwell was excellent as Fosse I remain astonished by Williams, who became Verdon for me. I usually "see" the actor underneath the role, but I never really saw her as Michelle Williams "playing" Gwen Verdon, -she just was her for me, if that makes any sense.
Old 06-02-19, 02:49 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I waited until all episodes were available and have been burning through this now on my DVR.

This is phenomenal.

Last edited by dex14; 06-02-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
What I found interesting is that the series showed more of the negative side of Gwen Verdon than did the book it's based upon.
Again, while I thought Rockwell was excellent as Fosse I remain astonished by Williams, who became Verdon for me. I usually "see" the actor underneath the role, but I never really saw her as Michelle Williams "playing" Gwen Verdon, -she just was her for me, if that makes any sense.
It makes total sense because it is 100% true.
Old 06-03-19, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Show was really good. Didn't know much about either of them but Verdon especially. They were both good but Michelle Williams was fantastic.
Old 06-03-19, 05:30 AM

That L-MM cameo in the finale was great!
Old 06-03-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Finished this up last night, thought the finale was the weakest episode but was still very good. Michelle Williams is going to be very busy going to award shows, she disappears into the role. I really liked the format of the episodes, using the milestones in his life as the guideline and letting you know how far in front or behind he was to them. Great job, can't wait to see what the creative team does next.
Old 06-03-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I knew of Verdon, but not in great detail until the book. I hadn't realized but she was guest-starring all over television in the latter part of her career, and was one of the core seniors in the "Cocoon" films.
Old 06-03-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

They really had a unique relationship, didn't they? Sometimes personal, sometimes professional, sometimes both, and sometimes neither. Can't add more to what's already been said about Michelle Williams' performance. Her near-meltdown over having to share the final song in Chicago with Chita Rivera was really well-done. There was the anger mixed with the knowledge that Bob was probably right (after all, he was right about her not being able to keep up with the dancing anymore). And yet, Bob was known to be vindictive and remove performers from parts due to the personal relationship they had. Somehow, Michelle Williams tied all of those emotions together.

I generally don't like when someone wins an award playing a famous character, as I often wonder if the actor is just doing an impression rather than bringing anything personal to the table. Definitely not so with Rockwell and Williams on this one, that's for damn sure.