Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Titan Games (NBC) -- Competition series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- 1/3/19

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Titan Games (NBC) -- Competition series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- 1/3/19

"The Titan Games" premieres with an action-packed two-hour double episode. Competitors will push their bodies to the limit by battling opponents in unforgiving head-to-head challenges, designed by Dwayne Johnson. Winners will advance to the ultimate challenge of Mt. Olympus, the consummate athletic test of speed, strength, agility and endurance. In each episode, the male and female competitors who conquer Mt. Olympus will become a Titan. In the end, the Titans return to battle each other. One woman and one man will be crowned Titan Champions. Dwayne Johnson serves as host and Executive Producer, Liam McHugh and Alex Mendez commentate from the skybox and Cari Champion reports from inside the arena. TV-PG

This premieres tomorrow on NBC. It's 10 episodes and 2 air tomorrow night.

I have a couple of colleagues who worked on this show. It was taped in the Fall. I know competition shows don't really draw much talk here, but thought I would post for anyone interested. I'll watch to support my colleagues and of course I'm a fan of D.J.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZNoijogYTlA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-02-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: The Titan Games (NBC) -- Competition series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- 1/3/19

I'm for sure watching... I love competition shows like this.
Old 01-02-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: The Titan Games (NBC) -- Competition series hosted by Dwayne Johnson -- 1/3/19

Seems like a cross between American Gladiator and American Ninja Warrior.

Did anybody watch that other competition Johnson show back on TNT (?) a few summers ago? It took place in Latin America. There were some team items and then a weekly winner got to through to the final challenge. They’d then get to keep the award or put into a pot.
Old 01-02-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Seems like a cross between American Gladiator and American Ninja Warrior.

Did anybody watch that other competition Johnson show back on TNT (?) a few summers ago? It took place in Latin America. There were some team items and then a weekly winner got to through to the final challenge. They’d then get to keep the award or put into a pot.
Yeah that was "The Hero" it came out in Summer 2013.

I liked it too. Sucked it didn't continue after 1 season.
Old 01-04-19, 08:33 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the Rock ever sleep ?

This show, Ballers and 4 or more blockbuster movies per year

Hardest worker in Hollywood
Old 01-04-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I know when he did "The Hero" (mentioned above), the whole series was shot in two weeks.
Old 01-04-19, 08:53 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I was sold at Cari Champion, though she looks hotter when she does Sportscenter.

I watched it's and fine for filler, but if there was something else I watched when this was I don't think it's something I'd take the time to catch up on.
Old 01-04-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I watched the first episode and it was okay. I thought it needed more camp. More American Gladiators, and less "feel good ANW" stuff. 2 hours was a bit much but I can see watching it once a week.
Old 01-04-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

This show, Ballers and 4 or more blockbuster movies per year

Hardest worker in Hollywood
He sleepwalks through his "performances" ...

Go ahead, throw things at me! He's a very engaging personality, but I have yet to see him actually act outside of SNL. He shows up and reads lines as himself in every movie.
Old 01-05-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Watching ep 1 with the wife (we are seasoned couch potatoes, but absolutely love most everything Dwayne Johnson does. That Sgt Fuhrman was a MONSTER. We’ll keep watching.
Old 01-05-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

This was just okay. Pretty much a ripoff of Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch on CMT.

Actually BSR is way better than this in every way. More competitors, harder competitions, no bullshit boring human interest stories, and lots of smack talk (and then watching people get embarrassed after smack talking). And Steve Austin is a much better host, color man, announcer.

I watched the entire two hours in about 30 minutes. I just watched the competitions and fast forwarded through all the other crap.

By the way...where is BSR? Did it get cancelled? Haven't seen any new episodes pop in in quite awhile.
Old 01-05-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
He sleepwalks through his "performances" ...

Go ahead, throw things at me! He's a very engaging personality, but I have yet to see him actually act outside of SNL. He shows up and reads lines as himself in every movie.
Yeah, I checked out this show and it's typical "Rock shows up, reads some lines" and that's it. Mind blowing this dude makes so much money. Only movie where he really exerted effort was Pain and Gain.

Anyway, lasted about 15 minutes.

Old 01-07-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to give this one more episode... it's too much filler despite fast forwarding.
Old 01-07-19, 07:45 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm going to give this one more episode... it's too much filler despite fast forwarding.
I’d rather watch a reboot of American Gladiators... and you’re right, way too much filler.
Old 01-08-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
This was just okay. Pretty much a ripoff of Steve Austin's Broken Skull Ranch on CMT.

Actually BSR is way better than this in every way. More competitors, harder competitions, no bullshit boring human interest stories, and lots of smack talk (and then watching people get embarrassed)

By the way...where is BSR? Did it get cancelled? Haven't seen any new episodes pop in in quite awhile.

I wonder if Hunter McIntyre more or less caused the demise of the show. They probably couldn't find any contestant who could beat him.
Old 01-08-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
It was a bit frustrating, -in fact, I missed it at first, -that even though there were only 4 contestants in the second hour, they did one of those "American Ninja"-patented "While we were away..." edits. Of course, the first hour ran long, so perhaps that's a one-time thing...
Old 01-08-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
It was a bit frustrating, -in fact, I missed it at first, -that even though there were only 4 contestants in the second hour, they did one of those "American Ninja"-patented "While we were away..." edits. Of course, the first hour ran long, so perhaps that's a one-time thing...
And to that point, they didn't even give us the backstory on the vet who lost his leg. I couldn't understand that.

The doctor who lost in the 2nd hour was a beast... too bad he lost due to his chain getting stuck under the weight.
Old 01-08-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leeta
I wonder if Hunter McIntyre more or less caused the demise of the show. They probably couldn't find any contestant who could beat him.
I don't know why they just didn't limit it to one season or a certain # of episodes or make some rule changes.

I always meant to email the producers and give them my idea of making the standing winner re-compete on everything (go against the group) and if they still made it to the final challenge, they had to run it again and not just go with their old time.

I do believe they made them run the final challenge at the beginning of each season to get a new time if they made changes to the course but I always thought that was unfair as they did not have the fatigue from the prior day of competing against several others that their challenger would have to endure. Even letting the new challenger rest a day, they still have to be fatigued from how they competed the day before.
Old 01-09-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I’m an hour in on the first ep and it feels like I’ve watched for hours even though I’ve fast forwarded through the tons of filler.

soo much filler with the boring backstories.

i know there has been some comment that this is a Rock shows up and does line reads but at least he is there for the whole thing.

Il’ll keep watching but this is a record and watch and FF show.
Old 01-10-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I’m an hour in on the first ep and it feels like I’ve watched for hours even though I’ve fast forwarded through the tons of filler.

soo much filler with the boring backstories.

i know there has been some comment that this is a Rock shows up and does line reads but at least he is there for the whole thing.

Il’ll keep watching but this is a record and watch and FF show.
That seems to be NBC's house style for these reality contest shows.
Old 01-10-19, 09:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

2nd episode not any better.
Too much filler, and the challenges aren't really very entertaining to watch.
Old 01-10-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
2nd episode not any better.
Too much filler, and the challenges aren't really very entertaining to watch.
Agreed. All it does is make me miss Wipeout!
Old 01-11-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That seems to be NBC's house style for these reality contest shows.
While some of us here don't like it, they must feel it works for them with the broader audience (primarily Female) or they wouldn't do it.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-11-19 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 10:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The final gauntlet is already getting a bit stale, and it doesn't help when it's usually a blowout. I find myself liking the first stage challenges the most, and wish they could squeeze more of those into the episode.
Old 03-14-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't look like many people stuck with this. After watching the first episode live we also didn't stick with it but decided to watch the finale tonight on the app. Doesn't look like I missed much in between

I wonder how this did overall and if it comes back for a second season how they change it up. Overall it didn't seem very exciting and The Rock didn't seem very involved other than saying a few things here and there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.