Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Timeless -- Series Finale -- "The Miracle of Christmas, Part I & II" -- 12/20/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Timeless -- Series Finale -- "The Miracle of Christmas, Part I & II" -- 12/20/18

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 12:27 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="663" height="373" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uit1h0V9c-Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"TIMELESS"

"THE MIRACLE OF CHRISTMAS PART I/II" ORIGINAL

12/20/2018 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Thursday) : Series Finale As Christmas arrives in the Bunker, the Time Team is inspired by a visit from their future selves to find a way to try to save Rufus (Malcolm Barrett). But when the Mothership jumps to 1848 California, they're forced to put those plans on hold and chase Rittenhouse back to the Gold Rush, where they encounter one of the era's most dangerous villains. Then chasing the Mothership to Korea in the winter of 1950, our team helps a stranded, pregnant refugee attempt to escape a tragic fate. Stuck with no way out, our team faces its toughest challenge yet, and in the process, come to terms with their feelings for each other. Also starring Abigail Spencer, Matt Lanter, Goran Visnjic, Sakina Jaffrey, Paterson Joseph and Claudia Doumit. TV-PG D, L, V
Old 12-20-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Timeless -- Series Finale -- "The Miracle of Christmas, Part I & II" -- 12/20/18

This counts as Season 2, Episodes 11 and 12, rather than a standalone finale.
Old 12-20-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Timeless -- Series Finale -- "The Miracle of Christmas, Part I & II" -- 12/20/18

Beyond anything I hope this is a solid 2 hours that ties up enough plot threads while leaving the door open for more stories in the future.

While I’d like more, I’m happy (assuming above are met) that such a show managed to get two seasons “and a movie” before things end. The concept was great, but more importantly the cast is what made this with such a great bond and weekly adventures.

Bring on 8pm!
Old 12-20-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really excited about this. We will probably watch until tomorrow though, since this is a show that the whole family watches.
Old 12-20-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

NBC had zero financial incentive to make this movie, so I have to give them credit for caving and giving the series proper closure.
Old 12-21-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Wow, great finale! Pretty much answered everything.

I will miss this show.
Old 12-21-18, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I didn't watch this show when it aired though a friend kept telling me it was great. Caught up on Hulu once this movie was announced and I loved it. The finale wrapped everything up with a bow and included a few unforeseen twists. Way to go out on top (even if Lucy/Flynn shippers were disappointed).
Old 12-21-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I still like the Timecop theory that you can’t make physical contact with your other self in a timeline, since two identical items / people can’t occupy the same space at the same time.

So I was expecting something bad to happen when 2018 Lucy grabbed 2023 Lucy’s arm.
Old 12-21-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Wow, great finale! Pretty much answered everything.

I will miss this show.
Yeah, really enjoyable finale. Glad it was made. Such a fun show.
Old 12-21-18, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I still haven't watched the whole of last season yet. Need to catch up.
Old 12-21-18, 01:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO, the show always played fast and loose with time travel "rules," and never really took advantage of things it could have, like arriving in the past a bit before Rittenhouse did, instead of after. But I came to really enjoy the characters, and I thought the finale was a nice gift to us fans, and tied things up nicely (except, did they ever get around to going back to visit themselves to help free Rufus?).
Old 12-21-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA
IMO, the show always played fast and loose with time travel "rules," and never really took advantage of things it could have, like arriving in the past a bit before Rittenhouse did, instead of after. But I came to really enjoy the characters, and I thought the finale was a nice gift to us fans, and tied things up nicely (except, did they ever get around to going back to visit themselves to help free Rufus?).
That is how I felt about everything. It was a fine finale that basically gave fans what they wanted, which is okay by me.

I never particularly enjoyed the mostly forgettable week-to-week stories, but always liked the characters and overriding arcs.

I'm guessing Abigail Spencer finds more work if she wants it. The rest of the cast may very well disappear from television.
Old 12-21-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm guessing Abigail Spencer finds more work if she wants it. The rest of the cast may very well disappear from television.
It doesn't sounds like you're aware of how established Abigail Spencer is. Aside from also previously starring in 30 episodes of Rectify, 14 episodes of Suits, 6 episodes of True Detective, and 6 episodes of Mad Men, not to mention her movie career, she will most certainly find new work.

On Rectify, IMDB has her as 2nd billed.
Old 12-21-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Enjoyed the series and the wrap up movie.

Not sure why the future work prospects of the actors is an issue but I doubt Goran Visnjic will have any issues finding future work.
Old 12-21-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I still like the Timecop theory that you can’t make physical contact with your other self in a timeline, since two identical items / people can’t occupy the same space at the same time.

So I was expecting something bad to happen when 2018 Lucy grabbed 2023 Lucy’s arm.
I like the Timecop rule as well, but didn't Lucy act like she was going to grab future Lucy's arm but didn't actually touch it? I'd have to re-watch it to be sure.
Old 12-21-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I liked the first hour, but I didn't enjoy the Korea storyline. Also, I hate it when movies and TV shows try to make us believe it's cold and snowy when it's obvious it wasn't that way during filming. It just takes me out of the story. I don't feel like I truly understand Rittenhouse's motives after viewing the whole series. All the changes they tried to make to history... why? Because it was just how Lucy's family wanted the world to be? I was hoping the finale would delve more into Rittenhouse and their grand plan. I can't recall: was it ever explained why it was important to Rittenhouse that Lucy's great-grandfather be brought from the past to 2018? In the finale, when Rufus mentioned Han and Leia and those other movie couples, why didn't Lucy know who he was talking about? Thanks.
Old 12-21-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I’m glad someone at NBC must have liked the show so we got a proper finale.

I guess the girl at the end figured out a new time machine?

This show could have been good as a once or twice a year movie special like they used to do years ago.
Old 12-22-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
It doesn't sounds like you're aware of how established Abigail Spencer is. Aside from also previously starring in 30 episodes of Rectify, 14 episodes of Suits, 6 episodes of True Detective, and 6 episodes of Mad Men, not to mention her movie career, she will most certainly find new work.

On Rectify, IMDB has her as 2nd billed.
I'm talking strictly as a network lead actress. I don't think the executives will blame the show's failure on her. The others will likely never be leads again unless someone at NBC loves the cast.
Old 12-22-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

So glad this was able to get a proper ending.

Wrapped everything up nicely.

Another season would have been nice yet I'm okay with a show ending as long as things are wrapped up.
Old 12-22-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I wanted to think on this for a day or so before posting. I was pleased with the finale, but not entirely sure it kept up with the upward momentum that season 2 achieved. Plus, that season 2 finale was a massive doozy - at least until it was dismissed in 5 minutes without much explanation or ramifications.

Some random thoughts and series questions:

I wonder why Lucy didn’t lie to Flynn about getting his family back. On the one hand I think it’s againstbher character, but also felt like it would be necessary to get him to take action. He was alway so hellbent on revenge and getting his family back. If she told him no then it seems like he wouldn’t have much motivation.

Anybody else think Emma is still alive in North Korea?! I could see her son or daughter coming back in the present to cause issues. Maybe it would look exactly like her ala Tasha Yar.

Still not entirely sure how Rufus just popped up. Plus it seemed like this Rufus a) wasn’t the same one, and b) came back from a different point in time. Clearly they set the rules to not allow crossover, but I was hoping for more of a Back to the Future Part II situation where the time team had to overlap with themselves to keep Rufus alive.

Pretty brutal Flynn was the one who had to take Jessica out all along! Seemed she had training, so I wonder how long she was a plant or part of Rittenhouse.

Didn’t they establish 4 people couldn’t travel at once? That seemed to go out the window.

Back when Jiya first had flashbacks, you saw construction of the Goldengate bridge. I wonder if that was on purpose, and if she somehow knew she’d be going back to 1888. Also, I wonder what happened to her visions?!

Probably have some more thoughts and questions in the coming days...

All that said, super glad the series had closure, while keeping the door open for more adventures. I really appreciated that the writers gave a good solid 10 minutes to show how everything played out instead of just doing a 30-60 second montage. Too many shows do that and things feel very rushed and unfinished.
Old 12-22-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I think that Rufus appeared due to the universe course correction when Flynn killed Jessica.

It essentially just happened.
Old 12-23-18, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn’t they establish 4 people couldn’t travel at once? That seemed to go out the window.
I think that was only a limitation of the "lifeboat," not the original mainship or the updated 2023 timeship.
Old 12-23-18, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I think that Rufus appeared due to the universe course correction when Flynn killed Jessica.

It essentially just happened.
When Flynn killed Jessica it erased everything involving her that happened in the show.
Wyatt never found her. She never came to the bunker. What's her name was never stranded in Chinatown for three years. They never went to Chinatown and Rufus never got killed.
Only Lucy, Wyatt and whats her name remember any of it because they were travelling when the reset happened.
Rufus, Conner and Agent Christopher have no memory of season 2.
The Chinatown mission never happened and Rufus travelled with them to the gold rush in the reset timeline.
Old 12-23-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Some random thoughts and series questions:

I wonder why Lucy didn’t lie to Flynn about getting his family back. On the one hand I think it’s againstbher character, but also felt like it would be necessary to get him to take action. He was alway so hellbent on revenge and getting his family back. If she told him no then it seems like he wouldn’t have much motivation.
I agree with you about this. It seems that Lucy telling him his family was a lost cause would erase the way he handled everything. She convinced him he'd be a hero, but I don't know if I believe he cares much about that.

Anybody else think Emma is still alive in North Korea?! I could see her son or daughter coming back in the present to cause issues. Maybe it would look exactly like her ala Tasha Yar.
Nah, I felt like that was a pretty strong closure. She was basically left unconscious in a resolute area that's bombed within a short time. Plus, anyone who knows exactly where she's at wouldn't have any way to get her--if anyone knows at all. She's dead.

Still not entirely sure how Rufus just popped up. Plus it seemed like this Rufus a) wasn’t the same one, and b) came back from a different point in time. Clearly they set the rules to not allow crossover, but I was hoping for more of a Back to the Future Part II situation where the time team had to overlap with themselves to keep Rufus alive.
When Flynn killed Jessica, it reset Rufus' timeline. Remember how they said that if Jessica is out of the picture, Rufus is never killed. So we know that Jessica is dead for sure since Rufus returned. But he no longer has the knowledge of anything that had Jessica involved.

Pretty brutal Flynn was the one who had to take Jessica out all along! Seemed she had training, so I wonder how long she was a plant or part of Rittenhouse.
Yes, this was a great twist. Wrapped it up nicely.

That's only for the beat-up lifeboat. I think.

Back when Jiya first had flashbacks, you saw construction of the Goldengate bridge. I wonder if that was on purpose, and if she somehow knew she’d be going back to 1888. Also, I wonder what happened to her visions?!
I don't even remember that, but I totally agree that her visions "disappearing" seems to be because they didn't want to follow that story anymore. And with Rufus alive, they really didn't need to. I wish they had explained it though.

Probably have some more thoughts and questions in the coming days...

All that said, super glad the series had closure, while keeping the door open for more adventures. I really appreciated that the writers gave a good solid 10 minutes to show how everything played out instead of just doing a 30-60 second montage. Too many shows do that and things feel very rushed and unfinished.
I love it that the networks are more open to giving shows full closure. I'm sure it's because of today's Netflix culture and they realize that even a cancelled show can live on as a miniseries if it's good and has closure.

Glad NBC gave Timeless the miniseries treatment!
Old 12-23-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked the finale. Yeah, the time travel rules can't handle any logical analysis, but as Bruce Willis mentioned in Looper: "I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws."

And yeah, I really liked the characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.