DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The MOONLIGHTING Discussion Thread (now available on streaming) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646156-moonlighting-discussion-thread-now-available-streaming.html)

OldBoy 12-15-18 05:43 PM

The MOONLIGHTING Discussion Thread (now available on streaming)

And why are DVD's, the only medium i see so much $$? what the hell. this needs to be on something now...

The Valeyard 12-16-18 09:40 AM

re: The MOONLIGHTING Discussion Thread (now available on streaming)

Probably issues with the music rights.

csant 12-16-18 10:42 AM

I would binge watch Moonlighting. Loved the way Cybil always had like a glow around her. lol

PS. Meant Glow... LOL

cultshock 12-16-18 11:22 AM

What was she growing?

Eric F 12-16-18 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cultshock (Post 13463178)
What was she growing?

Fat.

andicus 12-16-18 02:02 PM

I liked Cybil Shepherd and Bruce Willis.

I hated this show.

But I am surprised it's not streaming, anywhere.

cultshock 12-16-18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13463202)
Fat.

:lol:

Seriously, I'm guessing he's referring to her closeups always being in such soft focus. Cybil is lucky that HD didn't exist in the 80's. ;)

rw2516 12-17-18 05:49 AM

She was shot using diffusion disks to create a 1940s film look.

Original Desmond 12-17-18 06:05 AM

There's a lot of shows not available on streaming

stingermck 12-17-18 07:24 AM

Not available for digital purchase either, which is crazy.

rw2516 12-17-18 09:14 AM

The show is owned by ABC(ABC Films). The only other titles in ABC Films catalog are TV movies from early 70s. Except for the two Kolchak movies (Night Strangler/Night Stalker) none have seen the light of day since.
The Kolchak movies are always licensed by a third party for release. Moonlighting was licensed by Lionsgate for DVD and went of out print probably when the license expired.
Are the Kolchak movies available for streaming or digital purchase?

Moonlighting should be viewed as independently owned by a company not interested in the distribution of their catalog. Should somebody approach them with an offer to distribute it on disc or streaming they'll make a deal.

dex14 10-03-22 06:08 PM

OldBoy 10-03-22 06:33 PM

That would be fucking awesome!

DJariya 10-03-22 06:36 PM

It will probably be on Hulu or Disney plus.

milo bloom 10-03-22 08:17 PM

I remember watching the show here and there as a kid but I don’t recall - was there a lot of music that they have to negotiate the rights for?

Gizmo 10-03-22 11:08 PM

Would be amazing to get some new releases of this show. The ones available are terrible

stingermck 10-04-22 10:50 AM

That's a drop all shows immediate binge if they release.

mwbmis 10-04-22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14172574)
I remember watching the show here and there as a kid but I don’t recall - was there a lot of music that they have to negotiate the rights for?

Yes, in addition to the soundtrack David sang quite a bit.

Josh-da-man 10-04-22 02:08 PM

I sort of remember Moonlighting from when I was a kid; I would have been too young to have any interest in it. I might be up for a few episodes just to for some hits of 80s nostalgia.

From what I recall, this was on the quintessential 80s tv series that sort of defined the decade, along with Hill Street Blues, The A-Team, Miami Vice, St. Elsewhere, Cheers, and thirtysomething.

And one of the first "water cooler" shows, IIRC.

OldBoy 10-04-22 05:57 PM

I don’t think Moonlighting was as big as those. I loved it, but it seemed more of a cult following type show. I could be mis-remembering but I know not in same league as those above even if I watched this more than others.

DJariya 10-04-22 06:03 PM

Moonlighting was the typical "Wil they or won't they" romantic comedy with a little weekly procedural. I grew up in that era, but don't recall it being some kind of TV phenomenon.

It aired in the late 80s when I was way too young to have any serious interest in TV. I wouldn't mind trying to visit this at some point. But it might be really dated now.

OldBoy 10-04-22 06:20 PM

I’ll still watch this. I saw one, the first on on YouTube and it was great. Showed Willis’ greatness.

philo 10-04-22 08:36 PM

Moonlighting should not be underrated. It was different and innovative for its time with breaking the 4th wall asides, early "meta" self referencing, a black & white episode, musical production numbers, fantasy elements, and rapid dialogue inspired by classic screwball comedies. The use of Motown years before Murphy Brown also distinctive. The show was a cross between Remington Steele and Taming of the Shrew.

It was easy to see that Bruce Willis would go on to bigger stuff. He brought a smart-alecky charisma and charm and was funny in a way most of his movie roles never really captured. Cybil Shepard was a great foil to the wisecracks, the Felix to David's Oscar. No question they had something special on camera. The show unfortunately lost its mojo in the aftermath of the characters hooking up at the end of the 3rd season. It's been awhile but it felt like it became a drawn out soap drama. The off camera friction between the stars, Cybil's pregnancy, Bruce getting injured, Bruce exploding with Die Hard, also minimized their roles and the show started giving supporting characters more time. But those early seasons were fun, snappy, different and creative.

dex14 10-05-22 05:54 PM

Shannon Nutt 10-05-22 05:57 PM

Yeah, it sounds like they're just starting on it - all the episodes will need upgraded to HD and there will have to be decisions on what, if any, original music they'll keep/pay for and what will get replaced. I don't expect to see this on Disney + (actually Hulu is probably more likely) until 2023 at the earliest.