DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Ellen DeGenereres Show (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646133-ellen-degenereres-show.html)

Nick Danger 06-02-21 02:19 PM

Re: The Ellen DeGenereres Show

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13941076)
Waiting rooms are what magazines are made for.

It's been a long time since I saw a television program shown in a doctor's waiting room. It's always a day-long commercial for a medical company, and it plays at top volume. I usually turn it down so I can read my book, but some advertisers are onto that trick and install monitors without volume controls.

d2cheer 06-02-21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13941082)
Pre-pandemic, sure. Now most offices have removed magazines from their waiting rooms.

Exactly...my wife works in an oncology clinic and they all have been removed. The employees basically take them home when they come in. WHICH I have asked her not to do she doesn't read them anyway. :lol:

TomOpus 06-02-21 11:00 PM

The waiting room in Cardiology at the VA is the only one I've been to during the pandemic. The tv was showing local news and most peeps were on their phones. And I was preoccupied with hoping to live through surgery.

Count Dooku 06-02-21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 13938751)
I missed the part of DVD Talk where you're forced to read my post and add this kind of dismissive comment....

I don't get why people do this...I was only posting my opinion which is what I think most of us come here to do, read comments about the TV shows. I'm sorry if I offended you or if you are some 'superfan' of Ellen that I pissed off. Like I said, I'm a fan of her too but lost respect for her a while back. I was just expressing my frustration and disgust with what she has done to her show which as I said, I used to actually watch every day.

In the future, I'd appreciate if you keep your comments about my posts to yourself. Sorry, I just didn't get what the point of your post was other than to point out how superior you are to me....

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0c46500988.jpg

Count Dooku 05-26-22 06:54 PM

Surprised to see that I was the last person to post about Ellen almost exactly a year ago.

Anyways, saw the news that today was her last show, and WOW how the mighty fell.

I never watched her show, but it was a very big deal in the entertainment world for a long time, and now she has gone away with barely a whimper.

Rather amazing. She was such an important figure in the mainstreaming of openly gay performers, and had every important job a comedian'host can get, and won every honor, and was Dory!

And now people don't want anything to do with her.

So goodbye Ellen. I didn't watch you, but I never hated you. :wave:

JeffTheAlpaca 05-26-22 07:30 PM

She has been plugging this as the farewell season and had a lot of big guests like Oprah, Aniston, Bruno Mars, and others over the last few days.

In the early years in the aughts it seems she had more energy and enthusiasm and maybe in the last 2 years she kind of slowed down.

She had a lot of good musical guests on the show and felt like the closest thing to a late night show in the afternoon.

Ellen, This is Us, Liotta dying, and 5 major talents leave SNL all happened in the past couple of days. :(

whotony 05-26-22 07:53 PM

I thought 4 left SNL?

Count Dooku 05-26-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 14109875)
I thought 4 left SNL?

Kate, Aidy, Kyle, Pete, and Pete's cock

Daytripper 05-27-22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14109830)
Surprised to see that I was the last person to post about Ellen almost exactly a year ago.

Anyways, saw the news that today was her last show, and WOW how the mighty fell.

I never watched her show, but it was a very big deal in the entertainment world for a long time, and now she has gone away with barely a whimper.

Rather amazing. She was such an important figure in the mainstreaming of openly gay performers, and had every important job a comedian'host can get, and won every honor, and was Dory!

And now people don't want anything to do with her.

So goodbye Ellen. I didn't watch you, but I never hated you. :wave:

She'll be back. But needs to take at least a year to get the stink off of her. I first discovered Ellen back in 1991 when she was on some type of late night stand up show on the new Fox network. It ran every Sunday night (I think). And each comic only had about 10 minutes. She was hilarious and I actually wrote her name down. Her popularity soared after that. First, a few HBO specials and then her sitcom. Which I only watched occasionally because it was 'meh' at best. I think Ellen's problem was she got too far up her own ass. Fame and success definitely got to her head. She was even successful in real estate. I'm hoping this backlash will humble her again. I can see her slowly getting back into stand up. And maybe over time people will forget her fall from grace.

windom 05-27-22 10:23 AM

Hopefully now she'll finally have the time to make Mr. Wrong 2.

Double_Oh_7 05-27-22 10:46 AM

I didn't get the whole "walk over to the couch and turn off the tv" bit, as she awkwardly turned back to face the camera.

Count Dooku 05-27-22 01:16 PM

I'm certain that if she has any interest in doing it, she could tour as a stand-up like Seinfeld and Rock, and make a fortune, but she already has a fortune, so it's just a matter of desire. It's interesting to me how these people feel compelled to perform. I guess that's what made them successful in the first place.

TomOpus 05-27-22 03:09 PM

She's lucky that won't HAVE to work any more. She's supposedly worth close to $400MM. I imagine her and Portia will travel a little.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-29-22 06:38 AM

I think she did that TV set thing as a recreation from her first show.

I think she looked better with the hair in the beginning and not the hairdo she has now.

I wonder who will take over the Kelly Clardson time slot since she has Ellens time slot now?

Drew Barrymore vs Kelly Clarkson might be the new battle to become the new daytime TV queen.

Daytripper 05-29-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 14110980)

Cute clip. I'll admit I recorded her shows maybe the first year or so, but fast forwarded through most of them. Like her exchange with Tony (her DJ at the beginning). Where he laughed like a fool over everything she said. So fake and annoying. Overall it was an entertaining show those first few years but grew old for me. I felt she was best at stand-up only. And yes, not a fan of her hair towards the end. Her mom Betty had a similar cut. She was in the audience nearly every day those first few years.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...039a8f8ce4.jpg