Ellen DeGenereres considering to end her daytime talk show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ellen DeGenereres considering to end her daytime talk show

Old 07-30-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Ellen DeGenereres considering to end her daytime talk show

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Syndicated daytime television is a lucrative and cutthroat business. Hard to read this situation from the outside without insider knowledge. Could be a few disgruntled employees with an ax to grind, or a move by rivals looking to open up her slot on stations across the country. Literally tens and hundreds of millions are on the line in revenue. Could even be her corporate bosses thinking they can get the same ratings with a cheaper replacement.

It appears to be an attempt to permanently damage her reputation so she doesn't come back on the air under another show.
ONE: Ellen has been #1 and dominant in the Women 25-64 and Adults 25-64 demographics for a decade. Her corporate bosses would give her the world to keep her on the air and delivering them profits. Same thing with her time slot. No station that has Ellen on wants to see her go. The idea that there could be any sort of organized effort to get her off the air by anyone with a financial stake in her show's existence is ludicrous.

TWO: Ellen signed a renewal last year to keep the show going until 2022. She was open at that time about the fact that she was considering retiring from doing a daily show. In 2022, she will be 64 years old. If she quits then, she may not (and probably won't) retire from show business, but she will not become involved any any venture that requires a similar commitment of time or effort.

THREE: All the reporting about the toxic environment at her show is based on anonymous complaints from a relatively small number of former employees. If the culture really was as bad as they make out, they would put their names to their complaints, and there would be A LOT of people (the show has been on for almost 20 years) with A LOT of bad stuff to say.
Old 07-31-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
If the culture really was as bad as they make out, they would put their names to their complaint
Do you understand what generally happens to powerless whistleblowers in any industry? They don't last long in that industry.
Old 07-31-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Do you understand what generally happens to powerless whistleblowers in any industry? They don't last long in that industry.
After the meeting, she left work for the day and never returned to The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She said she has no plans to ever work in the entertainment industry again. For years, she felt “a fear of speaking out” but is now inspired to share her experience because of recent conversations about race in Hollywood and other workplaces.

No reason for this person to be anonymous.

Also, in the post-#MeToo era, hasn't it been established that (especially within the entertainment industry) people need to step forward and go public with their complaints because it establishes an atmosphere where others can come forward.

I'll say it over and over, if you have been running a workplace for 20 years and just a dozen anonymous ex-employees have complaints, then you are running a great workplace.
Old 07-31-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a friend/colleague who is a tape operator for Ellen's show. He's been quiet about this whole thing. I think it's mainly because he wants to keep his job and wants to stay out of this.
Old 07-31-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

She took the crown when Oprah left.

She is probably glad she never hired Gabrielle Union as a guest host or it could be a lot worse.
Old 07-31-20, 08:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
It seems out of character at least from what we know of her that Ellen would knowingly let this go on and do nothing about it. She seems like someone who’s for inclusivity whether it’s regarding race, gender, or sexual orientation. Not to say that there couldn’t be some bad apples on the set, but I think if she knew she’d do something.
I don't really ever watch her show, but I always felt like she was a good, nice person, and considering her own personal life, and her own "coming out" on her sitcom, I really never thought much bad that was said about her was likely to be true.

I occasionally visit the site "https://www.crazydaysandnights.net/" that supposedly reveals an "insider's" dirt on Hollywood people. For years, that site has been saying what a horrible person she really is behind the scenes, and I still kinda just dismissed it as Hollywood gossip nonsense. Now, it seems all their stories about her are probably true.

You just really don't know a person, if you don't actually know the person.
Old 07-31-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

After the meeting, she left work for the day and never returned to The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She said she has no plans to ever work in the entertainment industry again. For years, she felt “a fear of speaking out” but is now inspired to share her experience because of recent conversations about race in Hollywood and other workplaces.

No reason for this person to be anonymous.

Also, in the post-#MeToo era, hasn't it been established that (especially within the entertainment industry) people need to step forward and go public with their complaints because it establishes an atmosphere where others can come forward.

I'll say it over and over, if you have been running a workplace for 20 years and just a dozen anonymous ex-employees have complaints, then you are running a great workplace.
Brad Garrett seems to have several examples, and just states it was common knowledge.

https://people.com/tv/brad-garrett-c...len-degeneres/

In a statement from Warner Bros. on Thursday, the network said it "interviewed dozens of current and former employees about the environment" of the show and were "disappointed that the primary findings of the investigation indicated some deficiencies related to the show’s day-to-day management."
It's not Ellen per se, but the managers and producers who have allowed the environment to persist and flow. I don't expect Ellen to know about this entirely, and I would expect her immediate senior employees to prevent her from seeing it. That's unfortunately, their job. But from the type of stuff that's been accused of these managers and producers, the insulting comments need to stop.

But make no mistake. Coming out against anyone in this industry is certain to blacklist you and you will not work in that industry again. That's a legitimate fear, and is a valid fear, and is a proven fear because so many people have been on the end of it for speaking out to somebody.

How do you make in the entertainment industry? You shut-up, take what they give you, and ask for more with a nice smile on your face. And hopefully...you will eventually get a nod from the uppers to become something. The slightest hint of resistance....will get you blacklisted.
Old 07-31-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Brad Garrett seems to have several examples, and just states it was common knowledge.
His statement is basically the very definition of saying absolutely nothing of substance at all.

I've listened to Adam Carolla criticize Ellen for years on his podcast because when he was a guest on the show, all of the employees seemed anxious and scared.
That's pretty damn vague shit, but at least it is an opinion based on his personal observation.

What are Garrett's "examples" and from where does he acquire this "common knowledge?"
Old 07-31-20, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But make no mistake. Coming out against anyone in this industry is certain to blacklist you and you will not work in that industry again. That's a legitimate fear, and is a valid fear, and is a proven fear because so many people have been on the end of it for speaking out to somebody.

How do you make in the entertainment industry? You shut-up, take what they give you, and ask for more with a nice smile on your face. And hopefully...you will eventually get a nod from the uppers to become something. The slightest hint of resistance....will get you blacklisted.
Since you have just exactly described the thinking that allowed Harvey Weinstein rape his way to the top if the Hollywood food chain, I would say that people in the entertainment industry have two choices: Speak up and live with the consequences because you are improving things for others, or stay quiet and think of England.

If your primary concern is maintaining your personal status within the industry, then don't come crying when the industry is maintained as is.

If your concern is changing things for the better, then just fucking do that!
Old 08-01-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She's running such a wonderful show with "only a dozen complaints in 20 years" and don't start crying if you want to maintain the status quo, but Warner is investigating them anyhow because they're just bored I'm sure
Old 08-01-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

His statement is basically the very definition of saying absolutely nothing of substance at all.

I've listened to Adam Carolla criticize Ellen for years on his podcast because when he was a guest on the show, all of the employees seemed anxious and scared.
That's pretty damn vague shit, but at least it is an opinion based on his personal observation.

What are Garrett's "examples" and from where does he acquire this "common knowledge?"
Well, I have no idea, other than he's embedded in the in the industry...so he should know. Or possibly he's making shit up because he and Ellen had a fallout. I'm just going on what he said...and why he would even come out and confirm there were problems in the first place.

As crazy as this might sound coming from me, I don't think Ellen is particularly responsible, unless we got examples of employees going directly to Ellen with their complaints.

Old 08-01-20, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Since you have just exactly described the thinking that allowed Harvey Weinstein rape his way to the top if the Hollywood food chain, I would say that people in the entertainment industry have two choices: Speak up and live with the consequences because you are improving things for others, or stay quiet and think of England.

If your primary concern is maintaining your personal status within the industry, then don't come crying when the industry is maintained as is.

If your concern is changing things for the better, then just fucking do that!
Totally agree, but that's changed these days to people "coming out" and blaming others for their own actions of the past...and getting praised for it.
Old 08-01-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
She's running such a wonderful show with "only a dozen complaints in 20 years" and don't start crying if you want to maintain the status quo, but Warner is investigating them anyhow because they're just bored I'm sure
Warner is investigating (or did) because there were charges in the media of racial discrimination, and at this moment in our culture, they have to say/show that they are taking those charges seriously.
Old 08-01-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I have no idea, other than he's embedded in the in the industry...so he should know. Or possibly he's making shit up because he and Ellen had a fallout. I'm just going on what he said...and why he would even come out and confirm there were problems in the first place.
Like I said, at least Carolla is saying "this was my impression from being on the show." Where does what Garrett claims is "common knowledge" come from? Give me some names and details or keep your rumors to yourself.
Old 08-01-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Ellen Degeneres a meanie?
Old 08-01-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe View Post
Is Ellen Degeneres a meanie?
I think the most honest answer to that question is that it depends on who you are and what your relationship is to her and if you have given her any reason to be mean to you.
Old 08-01-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lea Thompson backs up Brad Garrett's account:
“Back to the Future” star Lea Thompson backed actor Brad Garrett’s claims about “mean” behavior behind the scenes on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

Last week Garrett, a six-time guest on the show, said in a tweet that he “knows more than one who were treated horribly” by the host months after allegations of behind-the-scenes bullying and mistreatment came to light. Garrett said the on-set behavior was “common knowledge.”

“True story. It is,” wrote Thompson in a tweet on Friday after news reports indicated the show is now the subject of an investigation of “staff experiences on set” by WarnerMedia, according to the Daily Mail.

Although DeGeneres, 62, has not been accused of any wrongdoing, employees claimed they were told not to speak to her if they saw her in the building. One former employee said they were fired after taking a month of medical leave following a suicide attempt. A black woman said she suffered numerous “microaggressions” after her request for a raise was ignored, the newspaper reported.

Last week, the TV host sought to shift the blame for the toxic environment in an emotional apology to her staff. “As we’ve grown exponentially, I’ve not been able to stay on top of everything and relied on others to do their jobs as they knew I’d want them done. Clearly some didn’t. That will now change and I’m committed to ensuring this does not happen again,” she wrote.

But Garrett dismissed her claims. “Sorry but it comes from the top @TheEllenShow,” he wrote in his tweet.

Old 08-01-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like I said, at least Carolla is saying "this was my impression from being on the show." Where does what Garrett claims is "common knowledge" come from? Give me some names and details or keep your rumors to yourself.
Common knowledge in the industry. I don't expect NASA scientists to be in on the latest internal entertainment gossip...that only if you worked in the entertainment industry...would know.

Rumors? If this was all rumor, we wouldn't have this situation even happening, as industry has quite a lot of rumors to choose from.

Garrett has been on her show on several occasions in the past and it's interesting he hasn't been on there for quite some time.

If Garrett is saying it's common knowledge, it's akin to those at Fox News who know abuse was common knowledge...and did nothing about it.
Old 08-01-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Common knowledge in the industry. I don't expect NASA scientists to be in on the latest internal entertainment gossip...that only if you worked in the entertainment industry...would know.
Wow! You must think I am the stupidest person in the world, if you think I needed that explained to me. I'm actually surprised you would think I knew what NASA was, if you thought I was that stupid.

Rumors? If this was all rumor, we wouldn't have this situation even happening, as industry has quite a lot of rumors to choose from.

Garrett has been on her show on several occasions in the past and it's interesting he hasn't been on there for quite some time.

If Garrett is saying it's common knowledge, it's akin to those at Fox News who know abuse was common knowledge...and did nothing about it.
If Garrett wants to talk about "common knowledge" with a wink and a nod at a Hollywood dinner party, he can do that for the rest of his life.
He just went public. He opened his fat trap, and now I am saying he has to put up or shut up. If you have something real to say, then say something real.

If Brad Garrett and Lea Thompson were treated poorly by Ellen, and they want the public to know about that, then tell us what happened.
If somebody told you they were treated poorly by Ellen, then tell us who that was and what happened. Oh wait! It's not "your story" to tell? Then why did you bring it up on Twitter!?
This "it's common knowledge" and "that's true" stuff is BS. Names and details. Names and details. Names and details.
You've made the choice to use your celebrity to insert yourself into a public controversy, so bring it.
Old 08-01-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

She’s Female and a Lesbian. Nothing will happen to her.
Old 08-01-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
She’s Female and a Lesbian. Nothing will happen to her.
If only she were also black, she would hit the privilege trifecta, right?
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (08-08-20)
Old 08-02-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

James Corden is already being floated as a replacement.
Old 08-02-20, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
James Corden is already being floated as a replacement.
James Corden has a contract with Viacom CBS that runs until 2023.

Ellen's show is produced by Warner Media and is predominantly aired on NBC affiliates.

Not sure why CBS would let Corden out of his contract to go work for the competition.
Old 08-03-20, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure why CBS would let Corden out of his contract to go work for the competition.
I dunno, 'cause they've seen his show?

Spoiler:

Sorry. Cheap shot.

Old 08-03-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

The hashtag #ReplaceEllen has been treading on Twitter today. With as much money as she has and at her age, I will tell them go stick it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.