Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Ellen DeGenereres Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
re: The Ellen DeGenereres Show

Something I've always been curious about so I'll ask it here. Given all the unions in the tv/film industry, are there protections against abusive stars and directors? Or if you stand up for yourself is it still, you're fired and will never work in this again.
Old 04-24-20, 09:26 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Worst kept secret since Rosie O'Donnell came out as an insufferable bitch.
Trump hates her, so I think she can't be all that bad.
Old 04-24-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
OMG!!!! She sat and talked to a Republican President!!! Burn her at the stake!! How dare she!!!!
In today's cancel culture that is what is done...that is why I am surprised stories like this took so long to come out. Just like the quote below you automatically have to like or dislike something he is for or against or a person he likes or dislikes.

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Trump hates her, so I think she can't be all that bad.

No he is right...
The following 3 users liked this post by d2cheer:
coli (04-24-20), Franchot (04-30-20), mspmms (04-26-20)
Old 04-24-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
No he is right...
"Even a broken clock..."
Old 04-25-20, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I have never watched a single episode, so I won't miss it if it goes away.
Old 04-25-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Something I've always been curious about so I'll ask it here. Given all the unions in the tv/film industry, are there protections against abusive stars and directors? Or if you stand up for yourself is it still, you're fired and will never work in this again.
Abusive?

The fact of the matter is that people get rubbed the wrong way when someone like Ellen DeGeneres acts "entitled."

But here's a reality check: She can act entitled because SHE IS entitled. Her name is literally the title of the show!!

She is the star. She is the reason the show exists. She is the reason anybody that works there has a job. If you are her guest, she is the reason you are getting to be on TV.

Let me know when she rapes or injures someone.

She acts so nice on TV, but off camera she is mean! BOO-HOO! Fuck you, crybabies. Have you heard about power and wealth and fame? She gets to do what she wants. Welcome to the real world.
Old 04-25-20, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Abusive?

You don't need to be sexually assault someone or physically injure them to be considered abusive. Jeffrey Tambor was apparently verbally abusive towards his co-star Jessica Walters to the point that she was in tears.

The fact of the matter is that people get rubbed the wrong way when someone like Ellen DeGeneres acts "entitled."

But here's a reality check: She can act entitled because SHE IS entitled. Her name is literally the title of the show!!

She is the star. She is the reason the show exists. She is the reason anybody that works there has a job. If you are her guest, she is the reason you are getting to be on TV.
In general, that's not an excuse for people to behave anyway they want to towards others just short of rape and injury.

Now with that said, professionally successful people are going to come across like jerks or even assholes at times. It's very difficult to get a head in a competitive career just being friendly and not wanting to step on anyone's toes. All kinds of people are going to try and take advantage of you, co-workers, guests, studio heads, etc. So you have to have an aggressive attitude and be extremely assertive to get things going the way you want them and especially not to get screwed over. Nothing that I'm reading here makes Ellen sound unreasonable. Maybe I missed something but it sounds like she's a typical, business savvy television professional/actor/entrepreneur.
Old 04-25-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Hope she is not the next victim of cancel culture since it seems people are ready to find something to end her TV career.
Old 04-25-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
You don't need to be sexually assault someone or physically injure them to be considered abusive. Jeffrey Tambor was apparently verbally abusive towards his co-star Jessica Walters to the point that she was in tears.
And what happened? And who the fuck cares about Jeffrey Tambor?
In general, that's not an excuse for people to behave anyway they want to towards others just short of rape and injury.
Harvey Weinstein was raping women for over a decade, and everybody was too afraid of him to say anything.

What could Ellen possibly be doing that anybody but a bunch of snowflake whiners would give a shit about? She's a goddamn money machine.
Old 04-25-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jessica Walters obviously cared or she wouldn't have come forward to talk about it. She described it as "verbal harassment" and verbal abuse isn't tolerated in many work places.

Harvey Weinstein was raping women for over a decade, and everybody was too afraid of him to say anything.
Okay, you win. Anything goes in the workplace except for rape and physical injury.

What could Ellen possibly be doing that anybody but a bunch of snowflake whiners would give a shit about? She's a goddamn money machine.
And what did I say?

​​​​​​Nothing that I'm reading here makes Ellen sound unreasonable.
Old 04-25-20, 11:17 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I've defended Ellen in the past (I think even earlier in this same thread) but I agree she doesn't seem like she's enjoying doing her show and that probably comes across in her attitude on set.

She's always been a decent interviewer but in clips I've seen recently she seems like she's going through the motions. Even her game show schtick comes across mean spirited like she enjoys watching the contestants get humiliated for money.

There's no shame in going out on top. I think her show has been the #1 syndicated talk show for years now. But I doubt she'll end it as long as the money is still getting thrown at her.
Old 04-26-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
There's no shame in going out on top. I think her show has been the #1 syndicated talk show for years now. But I doubt she'll end it as long as the money is still getting thrown at her.
Despite the new activity on this thread, it is a couple years old.
DeGeneres recently signed her contract to continue the show for a few more years.
Old 04-26-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, you win. Anything goes in the workplace except for rape and physical injury.
Let me explain this, and you can read it slowly.

If a man who raped women could get away with it for over a decade because he was viewed as too powerful to cross, what would make you believe that a woman as powerful as DeGeneres would be endangered by stories about her being the meanest, most demanding, "bitchiest" boss in Hollywood?
Old 04-27-20, 08:32 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If a man who raped women could get away with it for over a decade because he was viewed as too powerful to cross, what would make you believe that a woman as powerful as DeGeneres would be endangered by stories about her being the meanest, most demanding, "bitchiest" boss in Hollywood?
Because standards are not the same for women. They can't get away with as much as men.
Old 04-28-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, what did I initially say?
​​​​​​Nothing that I'm reading here makes Ellen sound unreasonable.
Meaning, reasonable as in working within the norms of regular business practices. I guess I'll explain it to you again: From the criticisms I read, I don't think Ellen did anything wrong.

Either you need to take your own advice and read things at a slower pace to fully understand what's being said, or maybe you understood just fine the first time but you want to give the appearance that you're always right.

Because you said more than just express incredulity that Ellen would be in trouble for having a "bitchy" attitude when men like Harvey Weinstein were getting away with rape. You implied that anything short of rape or physical injury is okay in the workplace and your response to anyone who complains about it? "BOO-HOO! Fuck you, crybabies."

Abusive?

She acts so nice on TV, but off camera she is mean! BOO-HOO! Fuck you, crybabies. Have you heard about power and wealth and fame? She gets to do what she wants. Welcome to the real world.
Then when I brought up Jessica Walter's experience you minimized that.

I'm sure you're inclined to dig your heels in further, but this is the last time I respond to you.
Old 04-28-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You implied that anything short of rape or physical injury is okay in the workplace and your response to anyone who complains about it? "BOO-HOO! Fuck you, crybabies."

I'm sure you're inclined to dig your heels in further, but this is the last time I respond to you.
That was not my implication, and I believe you know that.
I think you just decided to play the game that passes for debate today, where someone dumbs down an idea to a level where they can score an easy point with some snark.

The revelations about Harvey Weinstein simply make it undeniably obvious that, in the entertainment industry, if you are powerful enough, you get a pass. Things have changed with regard to sexual assault, sexual harassment, and sexual discrimination, but they haven't changed with regard to just being a meanie. And yes, if you are working for a powerful figure in the entertainment industry, and your boss is a complete asshole, the industry's response (not mine, I am just a regular person) is "Fuck you, you crybaby."

I dismissed your mention of Jessica Walters because her complaint was dismissed by the industry. Certainly people working on Arrested Development were aware of how Tambor treated her, did anyone do anything? Or even care? Apparently not. Even after Tambor was accused of sexual misconduct, the response from the AD team was to minimize Walter's complaints.
Your own chosen example, was just proof of my point that the industry really doesn't care about this kind of behavior. And in this case, they were protecting Jeffrey Tambor, who is not a powerful figure in Hollywood by any stretch of the imagination.

You said you won't reply and that's okay. I hurt your feelings with an insulting remark.
Unless you aspire to the level of everybody on Fox News: Don't purposefully misconstrue what people are saying just to make it easier for you to get on your high horse.
Old 04-29-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Rosie O'Donnell was a huge daytime success despite being a bitch on wheels to her employees.
Old 04-29-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I hear Corden is an ass too, he's just not as famous.
Old 04-30-20, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I hear Corden is an ass too, he's just not as famous.

Really?

He is the biggest brown noser among the talk show hosts.

I know not everybody likes him but Fallon seems like the real deal and what you see is what you get.

Colbert is probably full of himself and does not look like he would be friendly if you tried to approach or talk to him.
Old 04-30-20, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Ok, Ellen.

What a low bar to set. Please don't have kids.
And why the fuck are you so angry that someone would expect decent behaviour from a grown up?
Stop comparing it to rape and physical abuse. No one's arresting her.
Old 04-30-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Really?

He is the biggest brown noser among the talk show hosts.

I know not everybody likes him but Fallon seems like the real deal and what you see is what you get.

Colbert is probably full of himself and does not look like he would be friendly if you tried to approach or talk to him.
Jimmy Fallon is quite approachable. Every July 4th he shows up at the local parade and celebration and is great with those that want a photo or just talk to him or ask for an autograph.

It would be so easy for him just to avoid the whole scene ... but he shows up and walks around just like everyone else. He's been doing that for years.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (08-02-20)
Old 04-30-20, 05:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Bill and Hillary Clinton do that in Chappaqua NY too at the parade every year.

I've never seen anyone approach them but that's probably more to do with the secret service detail hovering nearby.

They do sometimes stop and walk over to shake hands with people they seemed to know but I'm sure that will all change this year....
Old 04-30-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Money and power still control the entertainment business (and I'm sure lots of other businesses), so nothing has changed with abusive stars and directors. You shut up and accept that you are on a lower rung if you want to continue working. However, there a some truly nice stars and directors, so don't think it's all a horror show.
Old 04-30-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Ok, Ellen.

What a low bar to set. Please don't have kids.
And why the fuck are you so angry that someone would expect decent behaviour from a grown up?
Stop comparing it to rape and physical abuse. No one's arresting her.
I am attempting to convey the tone with which such complaints about Ellen's behavior are/would be met within the entertainment industry.
How I treat people in MY life has nothing to do with the way people can expect to be treated in Hollywood.
I keep comparing it to rape and physical abuse because that is the standard the entertainment industry has established for itself.

I guess I'll say this one last time and hope it sinks in.
Ellen could be Satan's spawn behind the scenes. She could be the nastiest, meanest, most demanding boss in Hollywood. She could treat the people beneath her like shit, all day, every day.
But unless she puts on a strap-on and starts forcing her employees to take it up the ass, nobody in Hollywood is going to care.
She is MONEY.
Old 04-30-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Jimmy Fallon is quite approachable. Every July 4th he shows up at the local parade and celebration and is great with those that want a photo or just talk to him or ask for an autograph.

It would be so easy for him just to avoid the whole scene ... but he shows up and walks around just like everyone else. He's been doing that for years.

That is cool and he shakes hands with the audience in the closing credits of each show

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.