Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas Brown Eyes Creator of the First Native American Sitcom in Development

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-11-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This could be interesting...or it could suck. Either way I'll check it out when it hits. Not sure I've even seen a show from a Native America perspective. Fox has it.

BGN Interview: Lucas Brown Eyes Creator of the First Native American Sitcom in Development

It follows a Native American family moving from the Pine Ridge Reservation to Southern California so the youngest child can pursue his dreams. It’s not a typically represented family structure as it’s based on my real family. Along with my brothers and cousins, I grew up with my Mom, Grandma, and Aunt all living under one roof. I basically had three moms. It’s definitely an underdog story as my family basically moved with no money, no connections, and no idea how to “make it.” It’s messy and there are pitfalls along the way, but there’s never a straight line to getting what you want when you start from nothing. It’s the story of culture shock, hope, perseverance, and not letting the past govern who you are. It’s the story of my family.

I do have potential actors in mind. When you’re a Native creator you dread the “but how do we cast it?” remark, so I like to stay informed on all the Native actors in Hollywood. And to that remark, I also like to say that at some point “how do we cast it?” was said about every first POC show. It just takes a studio with courage and persistence to make history.
Old 12-11-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Lucas Brown Eyes Creator of the First Native American Sitcom in Development

I wanted Sherman Alexie to develop a show based on his movie Smoke Signals. It is weird - and sad - this is the seemingly first show focusing on Native Americans.
Old 12-12-18, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Lucas Brown Eyes Creator of the First Native American Sitcom in Development

I'm mad that it's 2018 and we're still dealing with firsts like this. I'll definitely check it out when it airs.