TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Counterpart (Starz) -- S: J.K. Simmons -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/9/18

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts
Counterpart (Starz) -- S: J.K. Simmons -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/9/18

picture share

At The Office of Interchange, those who have high enough access safeguard a crossing into a parallel dimension not unlike our own. And if their world is like ours, who are we over there? Are we better? Are we different? Season Two finds Howard (J.K. Simmons) and his counterpart living out these questions. With the Crossing closed and each of them stranded in the other’s world, they have to adapt for survival. Howard Prime takes on his other’s life: going to his job, living in his home… with his wife. Howard Alpha is locked in a mysterious black site known as Echo, cut off from everyone he knows. As a cold war escalates between worlds deepening a fickle divide, both men find themselves growing increasingly like their other.

Joining Simmons in Season Two are series regulars Olivia Williams (The Sixth Sense, Hyde Park on Hudson, “Manhattan”), Harry Lloyd (The Theory of Everything, Jane Eyre, “Manhattan’), Nicholas Pinnock (Captain America: The First Avenger, “Marcella”), Nazanin Boniadi (“Homeland,” Ben-Hur, Hotel Mumbai) and Sara Serraiocco (Salvo, Cloro, Worldly Girl).

10 episode 2nd season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UlOO2SwQ-os" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-18, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Counterpart (Starz) -- S: J.K. Simmons -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/9/18

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-09-18, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Counterpart (Starz) -- S: J.K. Simmons -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/9/18

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Looking forward to it!
Same here.
Old 12-09-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

For anyone who just can't wait it looks like the season premier is available on demand. I haven't watched it, but I think Starz does that with season premiers (makes them available early).
Old 12-10-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I complained about this last season but...I can't hear a damn thing on this show. I think it's worse this season than last. I have to turn on the CC just to hope to hear what people are saying and last night I just couldn't. I got 10 minutes in and just got tired of having to read everything like I'm watching a foreign language show.
Old 12-10-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No problems with sound for me. I thought it was a great start to the second season.
Old 12-10-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I know I watched this last night but I can't for the life of me tell you anything of note that happened. Better give it another go.
Old 12-10-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was glad I re-watched the last two episodes of S1 before the S2 premiere. I was surprised how much I had forgotten about it.

But I generally enjoy the show and I am glad it's back.
Old 12-12-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mugwump
I know I watched this last night but I can't for the life of me tell you anything of note that happened. Better give it another go.
Emily woke up having with brain damage, including severe memory loss.
Management brought in a 3rd party to investigate and Peter has to scramble more than ever before.

I was bummed by the lack of anything form the other side, but it looks like the next episode goes there.
Old 12-12-18, 11:52 AM

Was interesting seeing (what I assume is) one of management as well. But what's with all their retro-equipment vs. the doctor having a late model Apple PC? ...
Old 12-12-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Was interesting seeing (what I assume is) one of management as well. But what's with all their retro-equipment vs. the doctor having a late model Apple PC? ...
Could have to do when they were first created, and like so many things in specialized tech, basically remains in use until it's no longer needed.
Old 12-12-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it seems like everything having to do with the crossing is frozen tech-wise, probably to the time the crossing was created. They use monochrome CRT monitors by day, and make calls on their iPhones by night.

I remember seeing some interviews with writers/creators last season where they stated that there are clues as to what the deal is with the crossing - such as how it was created - within the show. I'll be darned if I've seen any though.
Old 12-17-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Season 2 off to a nice start with another good episode. Sure there are some obvious holes, such as: "If I help you, I'm going to need protection" = no protection whatsoever and dead, not to mention the person who waltzed in and killed the guy is the very one they are desperately looking for, so whoops and whoops on that one. But the story is interesting.
Old 01-08-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, last night's episode was fantastic. It was season finale quality. Then I noticed there is no episode next week. Hope that's not it for season 2!

Along with all of the terrific plot development, I was glad to finally hear a few characters discuss aspects of the split in a few ways beyond just that it exists (alluding to the origin, examining how/where variances cropped up, the reasons for all the old tech in the office, maybe a few more). It annoys me that characters always seem to show an incredible lack of curiosity about such a mind staggering piece of information when they learn of it.
Old 01-08-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Wow, last night's episode was fantastic. It was season finale quality. Then I noticed there is no episode next week. Hope that's not it for season 2!
There are five more episodes, and there's not supposed to be any breaks/weeks off.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4643084...f_=tt_eps_sn_2
Old 01-12-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The last episode really raised the bar on a show that had a very high bar to begin with. Brilliant stuff really.
Old 01-21-19, 02:52 AM

Guess I am the only one watching. Incredibly good episode today that explored the origins of the split world. Was so concise that I wonder if it started as a short story and that short story was expanded into the series. Ratings are abysmal but its on Starz so hopefully it continues, though the storyline is going in a direction that could end the series.
Old 01-21-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This weeks episode was really good. We get a lot of things answered. Oddly none of the main actors was in this episode.
Old 01-21-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What James Cromwell actually looked like in 1987:

Old 01-21-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Guess I am the only one watching.
Sometimes it takes a me a day or two to get around to it.

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Incredibly good episode today that explored the origins of the split world. Was so concise that I wonder if it started as a short story and that short story was expanded into the series. Ratings are abysmal but its on Starz so hopefully it continues, though the storyline is going in a direction that could end the series.
Yes, this was fantastic. And I was saying something similar, how this episode could have come from the typewriter of the master Rod Serling himself.

If what you say about poor ratings is true that is really unfortunate. I also hope Starz has the will to keep the show going.
Old 01-21-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool moment: After the opening credits when "they" come back into the interface (carrying a fire axe) and the dropped flashlights are on the ground and pointing in slightly different directions.
Old 01-23-19, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Sometimes it takes a me a day or two to get around to it.

Yes, this was fantastic. And I was saying something similar, how this episode could have come from the typewriter of the master Rod Serling himself.

If what you say about poor ratings is true that is really unfortunate. I also hope Starz has the will to keep the show going.
Yes

Twilight Zone is the perfect comparison.
Old 01-23-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I liked that we got an episode away from the main characters but the whole Management formation and structure still seems a bit ridiculous. And I always knew that the Sony Walkman spelled the end of life as we know it.
Old 01-23-19, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mugwump
...but the whole Management formation and structure still seems a bit ridiculous.
I actually thought it was rather clever, and unexpected. I was expecting (dreading?) that Management would turn out to be some alien / quantum being / time traveler type excuse, or perhaps a third parallel world. That would have destroyed the whole Eastern/Western Bloc ethos of the show in my opinion. So I was happy.

I understand the low ratings - this show is so, so dense and you really need to pay attention. This eliminates vast parts of TV watching audiences. My wife for example.

And I always knew that the Sony Walkman spelled the end of life as we know it.
Yeah ain't that the truth.
Old 01-24-19, 12:19 PM

The only I don't get (in an otherwise very interesting episode) is why/how Management became (apparently?) very important in both worlds? Other than connecting two worlds they have what? ... Same powers that be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.