DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Rank the Arrowverse shows (for those who watch/have wached all 4) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645953-rank-arrowverse-shows-those-who-watch-have-wached-all-4-a.html)

DJariya 11-25-18 03:17 PM

Rank the Arrowverse shows (for those who watch/have wached all 4)

This is really intended for those who watch or have watched multiple seasons of all 4 shows. If you only watch 1 or 2 and haven't even touched certain ones, I don't think this applies to you.

Black Lightning doesn't count because it's technically not in the Arrowverse even though Greg Berlanti Executive produces it. It's an entirely different creative team.

I watch all 4 and will watch until they all are cancelled or end on their own terms. Here's my ranking:

1. Arrow -- It started it all and I resonate with all the main characters the most, Oliver, Felicity and Diggle. It's on it's last legs, but I still enjoy this the most of all 4.

2. The Flash -- Last season was it's weakest creatively, but it's still a fun hour. But, I wish they would write out Tom Cavanagh rather than keeping him playing these stupid "characters"

3. Legends of Tomorrow -- Goofy fun.

4. Supergirl -- This season is an improvement, but I think the show got worse after it transitioned from CBS to the CW.

I am looking forward to the Elseworlds crossover in a few weeks. Looks like some of you are going to have to force yourselves to watch shows from this Universe again if you only watch a select few or dropped ones. ;)

mwbmis 11-25-18 04:41 PM

Re: Rank the Arrowverse shows (for those who watch/have wached all 4)

The Flash season one is the crown jewel of all of these shows. Unfortunately, no subsequent season has gotten close to it, and they seem to be getting worse.

Arrow has been treading water or worse since season two.

Supergirl season one was creatively uneven, but it ended on a real high, and I was looking forward to what season two brought. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, the season one show did not survive the network change/Flockhart exit. I finally gave up on it this weekend. It was long overdue.

Bucking the trend, LoT was a horrible, nearly unwatchable mess in season one. They started changing the tone and pruning the characters in season two. After they finally got rid of Firestorm in mid season three the show really started to click with me.

Since I finally cut the cord on Supergirl, it makes is much less painful to drop Flash or Arrow so they are both hanging by a thread. LoT is in no such trouble at the moment. That makes LoT easily my favorite current show on this list.

Ranking based on the best season of each show:
1) Flash
2) Arrow
3) Supergirl
4) LoT

Ranking based on the show currently on the air:
1) LoT
2) Flash (I guess it's still slightly better than Arrow)
3) Arrow
4) Supergirl

Koby 11-25-18 04:47 PM

Arrow has always been my favorite. Seasons 1 & 2 are by far the best of the Arrowverse.

The Flash S1 is about on par with Arrow though, but the rest of The Flash hasn't came close.

LoT and Supergirl definitely bottom barrel.

Honestly all of them should be coming to an end soon imo, at the very least Arrow seems to actually be headed that direction.

majorjoe23 11-25-18 05:07 PM

Flash
Legends of Tomorrow
I don't watch Supergirl or Arrow regularly, but I'm a Superman fan and I've enjoyed Supergirl more when I've watched it.

mugwump 11-25-18 05:20 PM

I started with Arrow and it's what finally pulled me into the DC Universe but I gave up on it last season and haven't been back.

I still watch The Flash but think its best days are behind it at this point.

LoT is my favorite of the lot currently and I don't see that changing.

And I only watch Supergirl for crossover events.

Jason 11-25-18 05:37 PM

I'm going to go with Flash over Legends, simply because Legends gets a little too silly at times, I hate Gary, and I just don't see them holding it together in the long term.

Arrow just wants to be Batman.

Supergirl didn't work for me.

actionjackson29 11-25-18 06:28 PM

1) Legends - This has been the best show since the second season. It just knows what it is and embraces it wholeheartedly.

2) Flash - I know people are getting down on this show lately but, I still have fun watching it. I love seeing Flash use his powers.

3) Supergirl - There's a lot of hate for this show, not all of it unwarranted. It certainly could be better but, I do like the cast a lot.

4) Arrow - I used to love this show. But ever since the team broke up last year and they made Diaz the greatest villain of all time it's been terrible.

Eric F 11-25-18 07:27 PM

Currently:

Legends
Black Lightning (we all know this will be Arrowverse eventually)
Flash
Arrow
Supergirl (which I dropped a few weeks back)

Tom Banjo 11-25-18 07:29 PM

Overall I have to go with The Flash. Looking at specific seasons, Flash S1, Arrow S2, and LoT S2 are the 3 strongest for me. Supergirl remains last any way you look at the criteria, although the current season is looking like it might be the best so far, depending on how their version of “Red Son” plays out once it really gets going.

hdnmickey 11-25-18 07:36 PM

Flash
LoT
Arrow
Supergirl

Arrow started off well but has been the worst of the bunch lately. Legends started slow but vastly improved when they dumped Rip. Flash has been pretty solid with the exception of the "Thinker" storyline. Supergirl is a distant fourth given it's never been as good as the other three.

Michael Corvin 11-25-18 07:38 PM

What I've watched:

Flash: all
Arrow: Seasons 1 & 2
Supergirl: Seasons 1 & 2
Legends of Tomorrow: Season 1 and a handful of season 2.

And that's probably the order I'd put them in.

Flash: We still enjoy the hell out of Flash.

Arrow: started strong but Slade was a 1980's B-Movie character complete with B-movie acting. Totally ruined the show for me. The island stuff was abysmal. Makes me wonder why everyone rates it so highly.

Supergirl: First season was light and fun, similar to Flash. Season 2 just couldn't capture that magic. Losing the double identity didn't work. Kara the reporter gave a nice balance to the character. The political stuff normally wouldn't bother me, but given how farcical our current White House is, I don't need a show giving me a dose of what I already get in real life.

Legends of Tomorrow: Very mixed bag. Some episodes were fun. Some were terrible. Some were cheesy. Never felt the need to return to it.

DthRdrX 11-25-18 08:26 PM

They are all pretty consistent to me. The second season of Arrow is still GOAT.

johnnysd 11-25-18 08:59 PM

Seasons 1and 2 of Arrow and Season 1 of Flash were good. The rest have been complete crap. I currently watch none of them

robin2099 11-26-18 07:40 AM

I would probably rank them in order:

1. The Flash
2. Legends
3. Arrow
4. Supergirl

It's really hard for me to pick the top three but here is my rationale:

The Flash: Season 1 was excellent, Season 2 was a step down but decent, Season 3 was terrible and Season 4 was....eh. But the big thing that it has going for why I put it at number 1 was that it still feels the most like a comic book show. Even in the seasons that were less strong there was still some episodes that I thought were great. The side charcters are the best written here, even the more useless ones like Joe and Cecile are still written well enough that I don't hate them. I've also thought season 5 has been good so far.

Legends: Season 1 I didn't like much, I loved Season 2, thought 3 was a step down but fun, and am enjoying the addition of Constantine in Season 4. So why is it in second place? Well, because it isn't a super hero show at all(seriously when was the last time everyone was in costume, the crossover?) and is more of a sci-fi comedy show. It also tends to have some pretty shitty/worthless characters that they add for no reason or keep for no reason. Seriously, we don't need the ex-shapeshifter and Gary and Ava are worthless and don't need to be recurring characters and I hate the Time Bureau stuff, and think they are wasting Nate. Still though, it's probably the Arrowverse show I look forward to the most.

Arrow: Season 1 was excellent(even if it was just basically Green Batman), I thought Season 2 was good, Season 3 was terrible, Season 4 somehow became worse than 3, Season 5 was awesome, Season 6 was meh and I stopped watching this season until something worthwhile happens. I'm bored of having Oliver in prison and tired of seeing Team Arrow doing 9-5 jobs.

Supergirl: This one hurts because I am a big Superman fan and really enjoyed Season 1 and thought it had room to grow. But Season 2 was probably the worst season of a TV show I have ever watched. It started out good in the first two episodes but between making the show The Lesbian Adventures of Alex Danvers, having storylines that are either dropped(Dean Cain coming back and leaving),go nowehere( Winn and the hot alien chick), terrible love stories(Alex and Maggie and Kara and Mon El), wasting bringing in Superman just to have him fawn over Kara,having storylines come the hell out of nowhere(Mon El's parents invading) and worthless side characters(James becoming Guardian and hell James in general, J'onn being wasted, Maggie only being there so Alex could have a love interest) it was just an awful season. Not counting the fact that it seemed like the writers were more concerned about being pro LBTQ and anti-Trump then they were about doing an entertaining show. I tried to watch a couple of episodes of season 3(up until the episode where Reign beat up Supergirl) but I realized I really hated this show, dropped it and never looked back.

cleaver 11-26-18 09:07 AM

This year I quit them all but LoT and Flash and I'm happier and LoT is much stronger this year and last

starseed1981 11-26-18 12:15 PM

I've only watched all of Arrow and Flash. Flash was great at first and has settled into a monster of the week Smallville type rhythm which I'm find with. Arrow remains wildly polarizing with each season. 4 & 6 were garbage while 1, 2 & 5 were excellent. I'm hoping that one is near the end of it's run because the writers are clearly out of ideas.

Giantrobo 11-26-18 01:34 PM

I'm behind (end of last season and this new season) on Arrow because frankly, I like my META Hero shows.

Honestly, I like all the shows more or less equally. Again, Arrow not being a Meta puts it slightly behind for me but I still enjoyed the show when I was caught up.

stingo 11-26-18 01:53 PM

1. Titans
2. Black Lightning or Krypton
3. Legends of Tomorrow
4. The Flash
5. Arrow
6. Supergirl

PhantomStranger 11-26-18 02:16 PM

1. The Flash - Yes, season one was incredible. Probably the most compelling season of superhero storytelling we've gotten on television. The show has slipped some from those halcyon days, but the producers continue to embrace the character's comic book roots instead of ignoring them. Like Arrow, the show has faltered expanding its cast beyond a small group. I believe people would have been much happier with the latter seasons if they had reset Wells to his season one template.

2. Arrow - The Batman-lite formula has worked well for Arrow over the years. It has the strongest line-up of ensemble characters in the Arrowverse, including great picks for the entire cast. Felicity was a great character until they made her a co-lead with Oliver. I'm not a fan of giving Oliver a random son.

3. LOT - Legends found itself when they abandoned any pretense of being a serious action-adventure show and completely embraced comedy. The cast changes have been hit-or-miss. I merely wish they had stuck to spoofing superheroes, but the show is now basically Quantum Leap with former Flash and Arrow regulars.

4. Supergirl - The less said about this show, the better. Without casting Melissa Benoist as Supergirl, I doubt the series would still be on the air. It's just a shame how the CW mangled this key IP for Warner.

Right now I would slot Krypton somewhere between The Flash and Arrow. I was more impressed by it than I was expecting.

SmithsGuy 11-26-18 08:46 PM

These days - Legends (humor, Constantine, etc.) then way behind ... hmmm ... a three way tie for the rest - they are OK w flaws (get Oliver out of prison please! stop moralizing on Supergirl please! Can we have the Flash without the Flash please? :) jk on last )

cleaver 11-28-18 10:06 AM

Theme in this thread is every show mostly gets worse season by season except LoT

hdnmickey 11-28-18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 13451782)
Theme in this thread is every show mostly gets worse season by season except LoT

Pretty much. The primary disagreement is just how much the other three have fallen. It's fascinating to me that some feel Arrow and Flash haven't fallen to the same pitiful level given my wife and I have discussed dropping all three after the cross-over.

Phodg 11-28-18 12:48 PM

LOT
Flash
Arrow
Supergirl
Black Lightning