The Walking Dead (S9E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "Evolution" -- 11/25/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S9E08) -- Midseason Finale -- "Evolution" -- 11/25/18

Originally Posted by Koby
...but we're now mostly focusing on Henry of all people. >_>
Personally I can't wait to see what Henry is up to next season on account of Gilbert, Whitey, Violet Rutherford, and Larry Mondello getting him into yet another pickle before 'Ol Gus comes by to learn them all something.
Old 11-26-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Apparently the actor agrees with you, which is one of the reasons he decided to leave. He apparently thought the character in the Comics had a lot of potential that wasn't making it to the TV version and he was very frustrated.
Yeah, he became Tyreese 2.0.

And, yeah, they’re handing off Carl’s arc from the comics to Henry. And it’s going to become painfully clear what a bone-headed decision it was to get rid of Carl. Henry in that arc just won’t have the same gravitas it would with Carl (and Rick).
Old 11-26-18, 02:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I know the writers are supposed to be building up this tension by only giving hints so we will be SHOCKED when it is revealed what caused the rift between Michonne/Alexandria and Maggie/Hilltop, but honestly I don't even have tepid interest.
Old 11-26-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Thos19
I know the writers are supposed to be building up this tension by only giving hints so we will be SHOCKED when it is revealed what caused the rift between Michonne/Alexandria and Maggie/Hilltop, but honestly I don't even have tepid interest.
I thought it was the whole "lets put Negan in prison" thing.
Old 11-26-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I thought it was the whole "lets put Negan in prison" thing.
Maggie seems to have made her peace with keeping Negan alive after she declined to kill him herself.

This is all off-comics stuff; at this point in the comics, Alexandria, Hilltop, Kingdom, and Sanctuary were all getting along and in a functioning partnership.

So far, it looks like four things happened:

1. The Sanctuary fell. The former Saviours joined the other communities or went rogue.

2. Something happened to Michonne, and possibly the whole community of Alexandria that made them mistrustful of outsiders. Likely related to the “X” scars.

3. Relations between Alexandria and Hilltop soured, possibly with the Kingdom caught in the middle.

4. Darryl became a hermit, and also bears “X” scars like Michonne.

I wonder if all of this is related to a single incident, or if they’re all unconnected.
Old 11-26-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So will we be getting those Talking with Chris Hardwick episodes now that TWD is on break for 2 months? Probably not. It looks like they have holiday movies scheduled for next Sunday. Maybe in January? They should just run them in the week after Christmas when barely anyone will really notice anyway.
Old 11-26-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I don't know what more to say ...

B-C level characters are what we think we have because of the past showrunner who wouldn't develop the fascinating characters who were being introduced. Instead we had years of Rick perpetually fucking things up and staring off into the distance like a drunken clothespin. Now those birds are coming home to roost because the actors have finally said "fuck this." It is a shame because Angela Kang is showing signs of trying to right the ship.

Jesus was horribly underdeveloped and I am sad to see him go, particularly because I thought he, Aaron, and Daryl were going to make one hell of a team.

I know the Whisperers are from the comic book, but it is sad when Z Nation continues to take pot shots at TWD and manages to do it "better". They realize some of these story lines are schlock and embrace that -- they don't try to pretend they are best show on TV. (I particularly liked Addy's line this past week: "We aren't the nation building type; we're more the 'tear shit up' type".) Edited to add: Wait a second ... Chris Hardwick's wife is on Z Nation!?

For a mid-season finale ... meh. It should have ended on Rick in the helicopter.

Now that the secret is out for the Whisperers, what's left? I'm afraid this is going to go the way past villains have gone. I will admit, I like the idea of turning leadership over to Negan to be a war time general ... and then he will refuse to relinquish power.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-26-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I thought the reveal was cool as hell. Everything else was horrible. So they have a choke point for the walkers in the graveyard. They can't stand right by it and hit them one at a time as they come in until there's a dead walker barricade? Hell, one of them could've done that while the other got Eugene out of there. So ridiculous.
Old 11-26-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't blame the actor playing Jesus for wanting out. I remember when they first introduced him on the show and he was on Talking Dead. He was going on abut being excited given how the character was a bad-ass in the comics and how he had a ton of training so he could do most of the fight scenes himself. And then, basically nothing until that last episode. Good job Gimple.

I was extremely disappointed that they actually had a couple characters going on about how they might actually still be walkers. The whole thing would have been far better had they just had the one walker surprisingly fight back just as Rosita and or Eugene start to tell the group they had heard them talking and they must be another group in walker suits.
Old 11-26-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are you talking about? Gimple gave us this Jesus classic! [ / sarcasm]
Old 11-26-18, 10:40 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

^
Old 11-27-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Apparently the actor agrees with you, which is one of the reasons he decided to leave. He apparently thought the character in the Comics had a lot of potential that wasn't making it to the TV version and he was very frustrated.
This is like this series' official motto!
Old 11-27-18, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yakety Sax makes anything funny.
Old 11-27-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Don't blame the actor playing Jesus for wanting out. I remember when they first introduced him on the show and he was on Talking Dead. He was going on abut being excited given how the character was a bad-ass in the comics and how he had a ton of training so he could do most of the fight scenes himself. And then, basically nothing until that last episode. Good job Gimple.

I was extremely disappointed that they actually had a couple characters going on about how they might actually still be walkers. The whole thing would have been far better had they just had the one walker surprisingly fight back just as Rosita and or Eugene start to tell the group they had heard them talking and they must be another group in walker suits.
I think it would have been better if the fighting back walker had been dispatched by falling over a cliff or something while the others ran away. That way the whispers would still be ambiguous. Now they'e just another bunch of insane assholes that the group has to deal with to level up.
Old 11-27-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
Now they'e just another bunch of insane assholes that the group has to deal with to level up.
Truth.

But hey, they mixed it up and now these are a bunch of people tthat never epxerienced the Governor's attack, so this is different!
Old 11-27-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it would have been better if the fighting back walker had been dispatched by falling over a cliff or something while the others ran away. That way the whispers would still be ambiguous. Now they'e just another bunch of insane assholes that the group has to deal with to level up.

S1/2: My Partner is an Insane Asshole
S3: Insane Asshole Flu / Ex-Con Insane Assholes
S3/4: Seemingly normal insane assholes in Utopia (with a tank)
S4: Insane Assholes, MINE!
S4/5: Insane Cannibal Assholes
S5: Insane Cop Assholes
S5: Your Husband is an Insane Asshole, Want to Hook Up?
S6: Insane AssWolves
S6-8: Who's the Bigger Insane Asshole: Rick Asshole or Negan Asshole?
S7: Cray-Cray Butt-Butt People
S9: Let's Do the Insane Asshole Warp Again ... and [quietly] Insane Assholes [/ quietly]

And now the big reveal for the show ...

Spoiler:

We are all already Insane Assholes ... especially you Rick.

Old 11-28-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

^ Are you saying that climate change is responsible for zombies?
Old 11-28-18, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
^ Are you saying that climate change is responsible for zombies?
Lol! Posted my thoughts in the wrong thread
Old 11-28-18, 01:11 PM

If they set up the communities correctly this season (which they didn't), the conflict would be about more than just "another group wants their stuff."

In the comics, the four communities are relatively functional. They work well together. I think there's some drama with the Saviors at some point, but it's not like people aren't talking to each other or have resentment of the other communities or want their shit. No, over the however many years that have gone by, they've started to rebuild civilization. It's not like it was before the zombies, but they are real communities. They live and raise children without constant fear of being eaten alive. Travel is safer with regular patrols and killing off any zombies within mapped-out safe zones. There's trade and farming and all that good shit. The "fair" they keep talking about is the major symbol of this success. All the communities come together for a big county fair essentially! What a change!

And then they run into the Whisperers, who are like "No, fuck that shit. We don't want civilization. We live with zombies now!"

It's a major contrast, and it's fucking interesting! But this show can't stand anything too interesting.
Old 11-28-18, 03:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Jesus was a pretty underhelming character who really didn't do much, but even though he's "only" been on the show for 3 seasons - he's still a more senior and second tier character... and it's weird that they got rid of yet another one of them.
As someone who's only dabbled in the comics, he seemed like Tyreese in the sense he was a pretty popular character in the comics (at least based on reactions when they debuted) but didn't make the same impact on the show.
Old 11-29-18, 06:23 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
If they set up the communities correctly this season (which they didn't), the conflict would be about more than just "another group wants their stuff."

In the comics, the four communities are relatively functional. They work well together. I think there's some drama with the Saviors at some point, but it's not like people aren't talking to each other or have resentment of the other communities or want their shit. No, over the however many years that have gone by, they've started to rebuild civilization. It's not like it was before the zombies, but they are real communities. They live and raise children without constant fear of being eaten alive. Travel is safer with regular patrols and killing off any zombies within mapped-out safe zones. There's trade and farming and all that good shit. The "fair" they keep talking about is the major symbol of this success. All the communities come together for a big county fair essentially! What a change!

And then they run into the Whisperers, who are like "No, fuck that shit. We don't want civilization. We live with zombies now!"

It's a major contrast, and it's fucking interesting! But this show can't stand anything too interesting.
This is a great post. They really have the opportunity to develop the story you are describing with so many episodes. Instead of filler episodes where they get a character lost and follow them around for 45 min, they could be using that time to develop the story you described above.
Old 11-29-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oddly enough I thought the Fear show almost has something original with the "Scavenger" group they ran into. But since both shows as so poorly executed these days, what started as a pretty intense situation ended with a really lame and totally illogical conclusion just like so many other finales on each show.
Old 11-29-18, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
This is a great post. They really have the opportunity to develop the story you are describing with so many episodes. Instead of filler episodes where they get a character lost and follow them around for 45 min, they could be using that time to develop the story you described above.
The writers on this show so desperately want to be writing a different show, and that's how we end up with this mess. They really want to be working on a Mad Men or Sopranos, where you can do these deep character studies with short interruptions of drama or violence. But Walking Dead should be a plot-driven show. The characters matter to the extend that we see how they respond to these things (or other people/groups) happening to them!

They instead want to just dig deep into these characters and really explore them. But in the zombie genre, that's rarely interesting. Plus, I don't think the writers have the chops for it.
Old 11-29-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
They instead want to just dig deep into these characters and really explore them. But in the zombie genre, that's rarely interesting. Plus, I don't think the writers have the chops for it.
Exactly...and that's how we end up with bottle episodes of Tara. TARA!!!

I think they are trying to write like this because that is the only way to milk the story for years and years. Without in-depth character development it is just one chase scene after another. But as you aptly point out, even handed a decent road map in the form of the comics source material the current writers are not nearly good enough to create that sort of show.
Old 11-29-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I am in the minority ... oh hell, I’ve known that for some time. Not about the quality of the show ... we agree on that. But regarding the direction:

*I actually liked the bottle episodes and digging deep into the characters. Even Tara’s! And the Governor’s! It’s actually a refreshing change from the “find a new home, fuck up a new home, rinse, repeat” cycle. Hell, give me an entire series that is nothing but an ensemble/anthology piece in the zombie apocalypse!

*I am so glad Rick Grimes is gone. There has not been a shallower, dumber, douchier character in TV history. Hell, Steve Urkle was less predictable. Every time Rick fucked up another group that welcomed him in and then stared off into space in shock, I could just hear “Did I do that?”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.