Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dirty John (Bravo) -- Limited Series -- S: Eric Bana, Connie Britton -- 11/25/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dirty John (Bravo) -- Limited Series -- S: Eric Bana, Connie Britton -- 11/25/18

Old 11-25-18, 08:59 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G-dUiO1ZV1s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bravo Media's seductive scripted anthology "Dirty John," starring Connie Britton and Eric Bana, premieres on Sunday, November 25 at 10pm ET/PT. Based on the articles and breakout true crime podcast with over 30 million downloads from Los Angeles Times reporter Christopher Goffard, the series tells the cautionary tale of how a whirlwind romance between Debra Newell (Britton) and the charismatic con-man John Meehan (Bana) spiraled into a frightening web of deception, denial and mental terror that nearly tore a family apart. Created by Alexandra Cunningham and directed by Jeffrey Reiner, the eight hour-long episodes are produced by Universal Cable Productions (UCP), in association with Los Angeles Times Studios and Atlas Entertainment.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Cliff Chamberlain as Ethan
· Connie Britton as Debra Newell
· David Barrera as Palmer
· Eric Bana as John Meehan
· Jake Abel as Trey
· Jean Smart as Arlane Hart
· John Karna as Jimmy
· Julia Garner as Terra Newell
· Juno Temple as Veronica Newell
· Keiko Agena as Nancy
· Kevin Zegers as Toby
· Lindsey Kraft
· Sprague Grayden as Tonia

CREW INFORMATION:
· Alexandra Cunningham as CRTR/EP
· Charles Roven as EP
· Chris Argentieri as EP
· Christopher G. Cowen as EP
· Jeffrey Reiner as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Mark Herzog as EP
· Richard Suckle as EP
Old 11-25-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Dirty John (Bravo) -- Limited Series -- S: Eric Bana, Connie Britton -- 11/25/18

I like Connie and Bana so I'll give this a watch. And it's a super short season at 8 episodes.

Also, this is from one of the Producers/Writers of Desperate Housewives.
Old 11-26-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Dirty John (Bravo) -- Limited Series -- S: Eric Bana, Connie Britton -- 11/25/18

It wasn't quite as soapy as I expected. Britton plays a wealthy woman that gets sucked in by this golddigger.

Definitely made for Bravo's typical demo - middle-aged women.
Old 11-26-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The podcast is pretty great, but nothing I've seen in the trailers (or heard in the short podcast follow ups to promote this) make me want to watch.
Old 01-08-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed the podcast so I was interested in this. Bana is good casting, but Connie Britton looks waaaay too smart to play Debra Newell. That role needed to be played by someone who could pull of the typical dumb blonde role.

They followed the narrative in the podcast pretty faithfully including the dialogues of the lawyers. Curious to see how they're going to pull off the ending.
Old 01-17-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Watched the whole season over the last week or so. Thought it was pretty good. Will have to check out the podcast.
Old 01-17-19, 12:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I followed the podcast so I was interested in this. Bana is good casting, but Connie Britton looks waaaay too smart to play Debra Newell. That role needed to be played by someone who could pull of the typical dumb blonde role.
I think that's the main flaw of the series. Connie Britton tries very hard to play dumb, but it just looks like she's playing dumb, and it's annoying. Otherwise, I think the series was great. Eric Bana was so good in his role that I can hardly stand to look at him.
Old 09-09-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/09/dirty-j...ed-1202729164/

Turning into an anthology series.

Season 2 will star Amanda Peet and Christian Slater. It will deal with the Betty Broderick story. Google her name if you don't know who she is. There was some TV movies made about her.

I never ended up watching season 1. And it hasn't shown up on any streaming service going on 8 months now after it aired.