Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S9E07) -- "Stradivarius" -- 11/18/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-18-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"The Walking Dead" season nine continues on Sunday, November 18th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the all-new episode, "Stradivarius," Carol seeks out an old friend living alone in a wilderness teeming with walkers, while the survivors make the perilous trek to a new home. The episode is written by Vivian Tse and directed by Michael Cudlitz.

Episode 7 of 16

Next week is the Midseason finale
Old 11-19-18, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E07) -- "Stradivarius" -- 11/18/18

No send off for Maggie I guess. Pretty cold considering how long she was on the show.
Old 11-19-18, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That was a super boring episode. I watched a 2 hours ago and couldn’t even give a synopsis right now if I had to.
Old 11-19-18, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
No send off for Maggie I guess. Pretty cold considering how long she was on the show.
I think they have Maggie in a holding pattern because Lauren Cohanís status on the show is up in the air. She might show up again in season ten, or she might get movies like Rick. A lot depends on whether her pilot gets picked up and if they give LC the raise she wants.
Old 11-19-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
That was a super boring episode. I watched a 2 hours ago and couldnít even give a synopsis right now if I had to.
That was pretty much my feeling as well. It wasn't bad or good, it was meh. But that's what you're going to get now that the show is entirely made up of minor characters.
Old 11-19-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that was a huge letdown.

And it was clear that they were just leaving Maggie's return as a possibility.

Also ridiculous that Michonne didn't have enough control to NOT cut a violin in half. That was just stupid.

I guess Darryl is the only one with fuel, now?
Old 11-19-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
A lot depends on whether her pilot gets picked up and if they give LC the raise she wants.
ABC already picked up her new show: https://deadline.com/2018/05/grand-h...ad-1202388835/

They're probably waiting to see if it gets picked up for season 2, although it won't be premiering until later in the season when TWD will probably be already starting to work on the next season. Maybe she'll have a hiatus between seasons of her new show if it does get picked up.

I've been meaning to ask...Is anyone else getting a weird beeping noise in the background of AMC shows? I've noticed it happening for at least a month or so now.
Old 11-19-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty boring episode.

I'm guessing the blood stain on her head means Rosita's bumped her head off-screen at some point and that caused her to pass out? Otherwise, the situation she's in isn't a big deal since she could easily get back with slow walkers around. She pulls out an empty bottle of water from her bag - why is she carrying around an empty bottle?

They're definitely leaving an opening for Maggie to come back, it's just stupid they don't give a reason why she left. Pretty stupid to leave with a 5/6 year old (maybe younger as we don't know when she left) when you're living some place safe with people you know. Not exactly mother of the year.
And after many months of talk of Lauren Cohan leaving the show to do another show, and I just google'd to see what exactly this show is as I've never heard any mention of it. Whiskey Cavalier - still haven't heard a peep about it.

So it's been 5 or 6 years and they're still talking as if Rick and Carl just died.

I'm assuming Rick is being held against his will wherever he is - otherwise you figure he'd want to get back to his kid.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
But that's what you're going to get now that the show is entirely made up of minor characters.
Yes, this is definitely a problem. I think the show was at it's best when they were at Herschel's farm - both story line and character-wise. And it's sad to think that there are currently only 2 characters left from that era (Daryl and Carol). And if you extend out the "good 'ole days" to the prison/Woodbury era - that only adds Michonne to the mix. It's starting to feel like a band who's still touring with only one original member left.

Last edited by Coral; 11-19-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It's starting to feel like a band who's still touring with only one original member left.
And it's not even the singer.

OR, I remember comedic juggler Michael Davis on SNL back in the 80s. "This axe was once owned by George Washington. Except the handle was getting kind of rotted so I had to replace it. Then, the blade was dull so I replaced it too. But it occupies the same space."
Old 11-19-18, 12:42 PM

Figure that Jesus would listen to Jesus and Mary Chain.
Old 11-19-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While this episode didn’t feel like much, I thought it actually moved the ball. Not a whole lot of action, but it is starting to fill in the gaps while planting seeds. At some point we are going to flashback to the fallout of Rick’s death, what happened with Maggie, and what tore the communities apart. Edit to add: Then again, reports are that she is done for now. I thought she’d have some episodes on the back end. Well, this season has me excited, but that piss poor handling of a major character really dampens my renewed faith.

So far, the time jump feels like it would play better with binge-watching, but I’m digging it.

This episode was directed by Michael Cudlitz (Abraham).
Old 11-19-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I've been meaning to ask...Is anyone else getting a weird beeping noise in the background of AMC shows? I've noticed it happening for at least a month or so now.
Yep, it's annoying as hell. I'm also in the Chicago area. So maybe it's just us?
Old 11-20-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It's starting to feel like a band who's still touring with only one original member left.
Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Prince and the Revolution featuring the Keyboard Player that wears scrubs!
-or-
The Other Guy that was in WHAM!
-or-
Paul Rutherford's Frankie Goes to Hollywood -- no music but he dances around the stage in an over-sized tank top and under-sized leather shorts for two hours!
Old 11-20-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone notice Daryl and Michonne have the same X scars on their back?
Old 11-20-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Prince and the Revolution featuring the Keyboard Player that wears scrubs!
-or-
The Other Guy that was in WHAM!
-or-
Paul Rutherford's Frankie Goes to Hollywood -- no music but he dances around the stage in an over-sized tank top and under-sized leather shorts for two hours!
We can look to real world examples like Foreigner and Lynyrd Skynryd.

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I noticed that as well. I guess we'll get that backstory with flashbacks from the 5 years that they jumped. I'm expecting something lame.
Old 11-20-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you change the battery in your TV's smoke detector?
Old 11-20-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They shouldn't even have mentioned Maggie. Or at least been vague about it. It's like these writers want to waste any possible mystery or tension on this show. The benefit of a time jump like this is that it's really easy to build in intrigue. You finally show Hilltop and have Jesus in charge. You're like, "Where's Maggie? When are you going to get Maggie? Why aren't you getting Maggie now?" You don't milk it and taunt the audience, but you leave it up in the air. It creates some good background tension. They did this in the comics, but it was with Michonne. They'd have a samurai sword appear from off-panel and you think she's finally back, but then it's someone else using it. So you think, "Oh damn, that wasn't her. Wait, why doesn't she have her sword?! What happened to her?!?!"

But instead they just tell you she's someplace else and is doing great. *YAWN*
Old 11-20-18, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Yes.
Old 11-20-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
They shouldn't even have mentioned Maggie. Or at least been vague about it. It's like these writers want to waste any possible mystery or tension on this show. The benefit of a time jump like this is that it's really easy to build in intrigue. You finally show Hilltop and have Jesus in charge. You're like, "Where's Maggie? When are you going to get Maggie? Why aren't you getting Maggie now?" You don't milk it and taunt the audience, but you leave it up in the air. It creates some good background tension. They did this in the comics, but it was with Michonne. They'd have a samurai sword appear from off-panel and you think she's finally back, but then it's someone else using it. So you think, "Oh damn, that wasn't her. Wait, why doesn't she have her sword?! What happened to her?!?!"

But instead they just tell you she's someplace else and is doing great. *YAWN*
I heard she is shacking up with Chuck Cunningham.
Old 11-20-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Yep, it's annoying as hell. I'm also in the Chicago area. So maybe it's just us?
Are you guys using Sling by any chance? I routinely get annoying "squinks" when using Sling and it's apparently a known issue.
Old 11-20-18, 03:37 PM

No Sling here. I have Comcast up in Chicago's NW suburbs.
Old 11-20-18, 04:13 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I guess Darryl is the only one with fuel, now?
Wasn't the Sanctuary making bio fuel at some point? Theoretically it's possible to have fuel, but you'd think there would be more than just enough for the motorcycle.
Old 11-20-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it all the gunfire outside your window?

Yes ... noticed the X ... that’s how you build intrigue. I thought they did OK with Maggie when Jesus was saying he expects her back ... but then they screwed up by saying she went with Georgie. I know I asked where Georgie was before, but you can’t just do that.
Old 11-20-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Wasn't the Sanctuary making bio fuel at some point? Theoretically it's possible to have fuel, but you'd think there would be more than just enough for the motorcycle.
Donít forget they are also using it to power Aaronís Winter Soldier hand.
Old 11-20-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're focusing so much on this new United Nations group. Anyone else just not give a fuck about any of these people?

Both this and FEAR keep writing themselves reboots and then do nothing with them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.