DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Does anyone else dislike South Park? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/645853-does-anyone-else-dislike-south-park.html)

Stu380 11-16-18 02:33 PM

Does anyone else dislike South Park?

So, I'm a guy in my late twenties, and I've never liked South Park. I'm honestly not sure exactly why I don't like it. Maybe I just find it too dumb and over the top?

It's strange because I like pretty much every other adult animated comedy out there, including Family Guy, The Simpsons, Rick and Morty, Beavis and Butt-Head, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Happy Tree Friends... but not South Park. Even stranger, I love toilet humour, which South Park is full of, but I still don't like the show. Similarly, I'm also not a huge fan of Metalocalypse, even though I'm a massive fan of heavy metal music.

I remember years ago, my friend showed me the South Park movie, but as my friend was kinda dumb, he kept skipping through a lot of scenes, which made the experience less enjoyable. A while later, I decided to watch the movie again, this time all the way from start to finish, to see if I'd enjoy it this time around. I didn't.

Most people I've met love South Park and I know it's an extremely popular show, so I'm definitely in the minority, but surely there are other people here who don't like it either?

RichC2 11-16-18 02:48 PM

Re: Does anyone else dislike South Park?

I like it in small doses. It's a very clever show that touches on a lot of current subjects in a generally smart manner, but quite a few of the characters can be more obnoxious than funny in large doses.

Josh-da-man 11-16-18 02:55 PM

When it’s good, it’s awesome.

When it’s bad, it’s excruciating.

Noonan 11-16-18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13445339)

Yeah, that's about it. The show went through a big slump for a good few years but has turned the corner in the last couple season. I'm enjoying it now as much as ever.

And now I'm thinking back to when the show first aired and I feel REALLY old. :(

Mike86 11-16-18 03:27 PM

I don’t dislike it but I fell off watching it a long time ago. I always think when a new season starts that I should try and get back into it but haven’t yet. I think the last season I watched regularly was like fourteen or fifteen. I think it was right around the time when they started doing a loose arcs for the seasons and shortened them a bit.

PhantomStranger 11-16-18 03:36 PM

It's been fairly mediocre the last 3-4 seasons. I get the feeling that Matt and Trey are simply collecting a check most episodes and let the writing staff handle most of the heavy lifting. South Park's prime lasted longer than Simpsons, though to be fair to Simpsons, that show's seasons are much longer.

South Park has always had a unique voice. I think it came out at the right time when the Internet was starting to blow up.

milo bloom 11-16-18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13445333)
I like it in small doses. It's a very clever show that touches on a lot of current subjects in a generally smart manner, but quite a few of the characters can be more obnoxious than funny in large doses.

That's a bingo, right there.

I used to go along with the idea they seemed to posit that some things need to be tackled with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but they seem to go after everything and some things do require a softer touch.

Dan1boy 11-16-18 05:31 PM

This.

JeffTheAlpaca 11-16-18 06:22 PM

I liked it in the late 90's but never knew it would last this long.

It was a big deal in 1998 when TCI added Comedy Central and you could watch that show.

Bill Needle 11-16-18 06:55 PM

Haha pretty much. Take this season: after a couple of really good episodes the last two (outside of the RDR2 jokes) were terrible. Was the audience really craving a manbearpig 2-parter? Cerealously? It was brutal.

Troy Stiffler 11-17-18 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Was the audience really craving a manbearpig 2-parter? Cerealously? It was brutal.

Manbearpig is an allusion to global warming. And global warming is being blamed for the fires right now. So it’s staying topical.

melasnus 11-17-18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stu380 (Post 13445313)
So, I'm a guy in my late twenties, and I've never liked South Park. I'm honestly not sure exactly why I don't like it. Maybe I just find it too dumb and over the top?

It's strange because I like pretty much every other adult animated comedy out there, including Family Guy, The Simpsons, Rick and Morty, Beavis and Butt-Head, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Happy Tree Friends... but not South Park. Even stranger, I love toilet humour, which South Park is full of, but I still don't like the show. Similarly, I'm also not a huge fan of Metalocalypse, even though I'm a massive fan of heavy metal music.

I remember years ago, my friend showed me the South Park movie, but as my friend was kinda dumb, he kept skipping through a lot of scenes, which made the experience less enjoyable. A while later, I decided to watch the movie again, this time all the way from start to finish, to see if I'd enjoy it this time around. I didn't.

Most people I've met love South Park and I know it's an extremely popular show, so I'm definitely in the minority, but surely there are other people here who don't like it either?

You have good taste, sir. ;)

When it first came out I tried it.
But it came across as too juvenile (even for me).
I haven't been back sense.