DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S4E04) -- "Wet Hot American Bummer" -- 11/12/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-12-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 12

DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

"Wet Hot American Bummer" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

MEMORIES FOR A LIFETIME - When the Legends discover that kids at a summer camp have disappeared, Sara (Caity Lotz), Ava (Jes Macallan), Ray (Brandon Routh) and Constantine (Matt Ryan) find themselves as the new camp counselors. At camp, Ava struggles to get along with the kids, but Constantine whips up a potion that helps Sara and Ava bond with the children. Luckily, the team finds clues to the whereabouts of the missing kids, but the battle to save them leaves one member in bad shape. Meanwhile, Rory (Dominic Purcell) and Zari (Tala Ashe) are tasked with watching the fugitive and Rory finds a kindship with their "prisoner." Maisie Richardson-Sellers also stars. David Geddes directed the episode written by Ray Utarnachitt & Tyron B. Carter (#404). Original airdate 11/12/2018.

The CW confirmed today this will be a 16 episode season and will go hiatus in January until April to make room for Black Lightning.
Old 11-13-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S4E04) -- "Wet Hot American Bummer" -- 11/12/18

Boo! They're limiting their best DC show to 16 episodes?

Everything about that episode was great. Swamp Thing exists in the Arrowverse, maybe we'll see him at some point. Also this is the 2nd time John seems to be referencing something from the animated movie, so it looks like it is part of the continuity.

I would have liked to have seen Rory interact with the kids tho.
Old 11-13-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

You are only going to see Swamp Thing on the DC's streaming service. The show is already in production.
Old 11-13-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe it is Swamp Thaaaang.

We're a long way from season one these days. Back then I was searching for characters that I remotely liked. Now, I like all of them.

Since Constantine is "dying" I wonder if that means Nora is back next week or if they will draw that out more.

By the way, the critical review Sara reads for Swamp Thaaaang is apparently a direct lift from a critical season one AV Club review of LoT.

https://news.avclub.com/last-night-s...-cl-1830408047
Old 11-13-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kind of guessed when hearing Sara's review that it was referencing some online review of the show.
Old 11-14-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm kind of happy that this show gets a smaller number of episodes as its level of zaniness can wear thin after too long and limiting the run helps keep the accountants at bay lessening the chances of cancellation.
Old 11-14-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty let down by this episode given the potential a summer camp parody presents. I also might be the only one finding the full time version of Constantine used this season to be pretty boring compared to when he would just pop into these DC shows as needed.
Old 11-14-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How could they not mine the comedy gold that is Rory+kids?

Make Rory the cook or something, geez.
Old 11-14-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Pretty let down by this episode given the potential a summer camp parody presents. I also might be the only one finding the full time version of Constantine used this season to be pretty boring compared to when he would just pop into these DC shows as needed.
I'd agree the use of Constantine this season has been less than inspiring.

They've pushed Constantine closer to being just another generic supporting comedic character on LOT, than pushing the cast towards Constantine's brand of dark magic. He's gone to the show, instead of the show coming to him.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 11-14-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like what they've done with Constantine either. It's like they took one trait of his personality and hammed it to 300% and that's all we get.
And Mick has long since been nothing more than a one-note character with nothing to do, but manages to steal the show with the few scenes he's in.

People seem to love this show, but honestly it's close to the chopping block every season for me and just barely manages to keep me tuned in weekly.

Last edited by Koby; 11-14-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've grown a little bored with the all-out comedy formula. It was nice when it was unexpected and new, but they've largely eliminated LOT as a show about superheroes banding together. Now it's just an ensemble sitcom throughout time with weird relationship drama pulled from soaps. The characters are never in superhero costumes anymore and writing every villain as a weak, comedic threat has lowered the stakes too much.
Old 11-14-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've grown a little bored with the all-out comedy formula. It was nice when it was unexpected and new, but they've largely eliminated LOT as a show about superheroes banding together. Now it's just an ensemble sitcom throughout time with weird relationship drama pulled from soaps. The characters are never in superhero costumes anymore and writing every villain as a weak, comedic threat has lowered the stakes too much.
Agreed. And Gary needs to go the fuck away.
Old 11-14-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They need to go back to the core group. Constantine is not working overall for me. Matt Ryan's over dramatic way of acting doesn't quite fit with the rest of the group. It is like they all know what type of show they are making and Matt Ryan is still on his more serious show. I know his being serious and dour is a character trait but I don't give a fuck about comic continuity or previous portrayals even by the same actor.