Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S9E06) -- "Who Are You Now?" -- 11/11/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-11-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

"The Walking Dead" season nine continues on Sunday, November 11th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the all-new episode, "Who Are You Now?" the survivors encounter unfamiliar faces outside the safety of their community's walls and must decide whether or not this new group can be trusted. The episode is written by Eddie Guzelian and directed by Larry Teng.

Episode 6 of 16
Old 11-11-18, 05:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E06) -- "Who Are You Now?" -- 11/11/18

wonder how they're going to explain away Maggie
Old 11-11-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Since six years have passed, she could have left/died at any point during that time. It could have been a number of years since she has been gone in their timeline. They could get away with not even mentioning her or just making a passing reference to the fact that she is not there anymore.

Family sitcoms have siblings that were on the first or first few seasons, then one season they are just not there anymore an no one ever makes a reference to them on the show again. They could easily be very ambiguous about where she is or what happened to her. When Worf was on DS9 he also was in the Star Trek: Insurrection. They got around explaining why he was there. Picard asked Worf, "Mr. Worf, what are you doing here?" Worf starts to respond and he was cut off by Riker. Very easy to get around having to be specific about what happened to her, if she ever decides to come back.
Old 11-11-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Well itís been 5 years. She could have left 4 years ago. Itís not like they talk about Lori or Andrea that much.
Old 11-11-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh-oh.

Two mentions of “The Fair.”

Yep... they’re going there.
Old 11-11-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than way-y-y too much Michonne (which unfortunately it seems we are stuck with going forward), I actually thought this was pretty good. The new characters didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, and it was nice to see them make reference to "living through the apocalypse" for a moment, which is of course the original premise of the show and what made it interesting for so many years prior to the past few.

Also, I'm glad I had the subtitles on or there is no way I would have picked up on the final lines of the show. If you don't know what I'm referencing you may want to go back and re-watch the last minute with the captions on.
Old 11-11-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Uh-oh.

Two mentions of “The Fair.”

Yep... they’re going there.
I don't know what that is, but I take it it's what they kept alluding to having happened. That was getting pretty annoying.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Other than way-y-y too much Michonne (which unfortunately it seems we are stuck with going forward), I actually thought this was pretty good. The new characters didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, and it was nice to see them make reference to "living through the apocalypse" for a moment, which is of course the original premise of the show and what made it interesting for so many years prior to the past few.

Also, I'm glad I had the subtitles on or there is no way I would have picked up on the final lines of the show. If you don't know what I'm referencing you may want to go back and re-watch the last minute with the captions on.
I thought they made it pretty obvious, with the audio. I wish I could say it was a complete surprise, but people have been spoiling it in these threads for ages, now.

The concept really opens up a lot of possibilities. I hope it's not wasted.

They better lay off with the Judith decision making crap. They really seem set on making her Carl 2.0.

Henry continues to be a dumb little shit. Good casting for the age increase, though. I'm guessing it's his older brother.

I was right about Rick and Michonne having a kid, but they pretty much telegraphed that one. She appears to be back to sourpuss mode, again.

Oh, and how could I forget... Carol! That was cold. Wow. Only thing that bugged me is that if she lit me up like that, I would've been running after and grabbing her to share the wealth.
Old 11-11-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Well itís been 5 years. She could have left 4 years ago. Itís not like they talk about Lori or Andrea that much.
Yet, in this episode Michonne talks about (and to) Rick like he died only a couple months earlier.

How could Judith remember Carl's voice at all? She was still an infant when he was alive.

I like that Eugene finally evolved into someone who's not a coward and is able to fight... and got rid of the mullet - even though he's got a tail now.

I didn't have the subtitles on, but I heard a walker say "*something something* don't let them get away".

So why did Eugene and Rosa need to lay in the mud? Couldn't they just have hid behind the trees and branches a few feet to their right and be less visible? Is the mud supposed to mask their scent or something?

I wonder if Daryl finally hooked up with someone in the last 5 years. Up until the time jump, it appears he was asexual - as he didn't seem to have any interest in anyone.
Old 11-12-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I thought they made it pretty obvious, with the audio.
I did catch the last line, but only because I was listening for it after being tipped off by the captions.
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Henry continues to be a dumb little shit. Good casting for the age increase, though. I'm guessing it's his older brother.
Haha yeah I forgot about his antics. I did say to the wife there is no way the rat-faced little bastard would still be alive these many years later if he was truly that stupid unless they kept him in a cage for his own protection.
Old 11-12-18, 12:10 AM

So it seems cars are no longer functional any more, or will they still show them working at some point?

RJ should already be five at this point, but he seemed younger.

So Judith is allowed to be buddy buddy with Negan? That's some good parenting there.
Old 11-12-18, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
So Judith is allowed to be buddy buddy with Negan? That's some good parenting there.
As long as he's behind bars what harm could come from letting your small child have routine lengthy unmonitored conversations with a homicidal psychopath? Besides, she's waving around a gun the length of her leg and seems to be making the decisions for the community.
Old 11-12-18, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yet, in this episode Michonne talks about (and to) Rick like he died only a couple months earlier.

How could Judith remember Carl's voice at all? She was still an infant when he was alive.

I like that Eugene finally evolved into someone who's not a coward and is able to fight... and got rid of the mullet - even though he's got a tail now.

I didn't have the subtitles on, but I heard a walker say "*something something* don't let them get away".

So why did Eugene and Rosa need to lay in the mud? Couldn't they just have hid behind the trees and branches a few feet to their right and be less visible? Is the mud supposed to mask their scent or something?

I wonder if Daryl finally hooked up with someone in the last 5 years. Up until the time jump, it appears he was asexual - as he didn't seem to have any interest in anyone.
Just a guess, but maybe the walkers that can talk don't have as good a sense of smell as the ones that can't talk.
Old 11-12-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching now ... what the f*ck? First Gabriel scores Jadis and now Gabriel and Rosalita!?

I was digging the “new group” until the guy kept talking too much during the interrogation. They seem as if they were just dropped into the world instead of having survived to his point.

So this is a 6 year jump? All the communities Rick and Co. destroyed ... but they hadn’t come across anybody else in the next 6 years?

Nobody ever went looking for the record lady?
Old 11-12-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I was digging the “new group” until the guy kept talking too much during the interrogation. They seem as if they were just dropped into the world instead of having survived to his point.
Speaking of the interrogation, the Alexandrians seemed particularly uninterested in anything that happened to the new group between the start of the apocalypse and the day they met them. The guy would throw events and communities they were previously part of out there and the "council" would collectively roll their eyes and yawn. They should be debriefing them like a defecting Soviet general.
Old 11-12-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yep.

How does Judith know what an airplane is?

Wouldn’t it have made more sense for Rosalita to climb up the tower to avoid the herd than for Eugene to come down?
Old 11-12-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just recalled one thing I particularly liked from this episode: That the former saviors had harnessed up a bunch of the dead to pull their wagon.
Old 11-12-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, badass Carol still lives!
Old 11-12-18, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I just recalled one thing I particularly liked from this episode: That the former saviors had harnessed up a bunch of the dead to pull their wagon.
I thought that was very ingenious. I also liked how the Kingdom was running down and falling apart. These are not people who built these communities ó they moved in and probably wouldnít have the mechanical expertise to keep them running.
Old 11-12-18, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that was very ingenious.
Heck yeah. It made me wonder if they could come up with some sort of squirrel cage power generator considering the dead seem to be the closest thing to a perpetual motion machine to ever exist.

I also liked how the Kingdom was running down and falling apart. These are not people who built these communities — they moved in and probably wouldn’t have the mechanical expertise to keep them running.
This is the sort of thing I was referring to in my first comment. I wish they would spend more time on this sort of thing and less on plots in which re-animated carnivorous corpses amount to an occasional fly to be brushed away from the face before returning to squabbling over turf and hurt feelings.
Old 11-12-18, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I noticed with the talkers ...

They walked with their heads down. I didn’t pay attention the whole time, but I noticed at the end the whole herd had their heads down. I think.

Wow ... my recoding picked up the first part of Talking Dead ... the two new actresses really are deaf and hard of hearing.

I hope this time jump re-energizes the show. It gives us a chance to do a soft reboot with characters we know.
Old 11-12-18, 01:48 AM

^Yep.

How does Judith know what an airplane is?

Wouldnít it have made more sense for Rosalita to climb up the tower to avoid the herd than for Eugene to come down?
They still have books. They must have some electricity so they could watch old movies on DVD or VHS. So she would know what one is even if she's never seen one before. There was a scene where some young children were being taught/ schooled by a "teacher", so I'm sure they would cover "old world" stuff.
Old 11-12-18, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
They still have books.
The most powerful weapon of the apocalypse:

And after they patch up the plumbing they can learn about John Wesley Hardin, who was so mean he once shot a man just for snoring.
Old 11-12-18, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not that this should shock anybody, but these writers clearly have no clue how the real world works; since young Henry managed to stop a pressurized pipe leak with rags and duct tape.

The other thing that made absolutely no sense is how the former Sanctuary rabbles managed to stay alive for 5-6 years just preying on unsuspecting passerbys. If they robbed any of the communities even once they should've been dead already like in this episode.
Old 11-12-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldnít it have made more sense for Rosalita to climb up the tower to avoid the herd than for Eugene to come down?
I'm guessing they didn't want to be trapped on the tower. Although I can't recall if they had walkie-talkies to contact anyone for help.

As Eugene was climbing down, I actually thought to myself "How is Eugene going to hurt himself to make their escape harder?" - and sure enough, the ladder falls and he has to jump. The writers continue to shoe-horn obstacles making the easiest situations tougher because of either stupid decisions or constant bad luck.

Just a guess, but maybe the walkers that can talk don't have as good a sense of smell as the ones that can't talk.
Eugene and Rosita only know about one type of walker, so if they're simply hiding themselves from view - behind the trees and brush would've been safer. If they're masking their smells - I thought the only way to mask their smell was covering themselves with walker blood.
Old 11-12-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They still have books. They must have some electricity so they could watch old movies on DVD or VHS. So she would know what one is even if she's never seen one before. There was a scene where some young children were being taught/ schooled by a "teacher", so I'm sure they would cover "old world" stuff.
I’ll accept that.

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
The other thing that made absolutely no sense is how the former Sanctuary rabbles managed to stay alive for 5-6 years just preying on unsuspecting passerbys. If they robbed any of the communities even once they should've been dead already like in this episode.
They did say “after Sanctuary fell” and made it sound as if they had re-established it after leaving the camp. Carol said something about “you could have joined one of the other communities” and that didn’t seem like an option when they left the camp. It sounded like a different incident to me.

I will agree I didn’t like that part because ... six year time jump, but this arc conveniently picks up right here. And even more conveniently
Spoiler:
it is resolved right here, too. Although I did like the resolution even with its own plot hole .

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm guessing they didn't want to be trapped on the tower. Although I can't recall if they had walkie-talkies to contact anyone for help.
While we don’t see anybody with walkie-talkies in this future (hard to say) they are there to PUT UP RADIO EQUIPMENT!! I would hope/assume they had something to test it with, i.e. something to communicate back to Gabriel. The herd would have passed and never have noticed them up there.

A few other random thoughts: that bridge was SO important that they never fixed it.

We are back to the “magic perimeter” theory where they have only wandered/explored/discovered so far out from their location.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-12-18 at 09:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.