Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Andor (Disney+) -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 03:53 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service. The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.
https://www.starwars.com/news/cassia...ries-announced
Old 11-08-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
re: Star Wars: Andor (Disney+) -- news, rumors, etc.

Curious choice. If the toyline is any indication of character popularity, it's worth mentioning that the Cassian Andor action figures are perhaps the biggest peg warmers in the history of Star Wars toys. Those things are still clogging up Ollie's Bargain Outlets all over the US.

But hey, at least K2 will likely be back.
Old 11-08-18, 04:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Curious choice. If the toyline is any indication of character popularity, it's worth mentioning that the Cassian Andor action figures are perhaps the biggest peg warmers in the history of Star Wars toys. Those things are still clogging up Ollie's Bargain Outlets all over the US.
I thought that honor went to Rose?
Old 11-08-18, 04:25 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Eh, she gets a pass because of all the intolerant manbabies who refused to embrace a strong non-caucasion female in their kiddy science fiction franchise. I mean, those Rose figures certainly aren't overflowing clearance bins because the character was poorly written or anything...

EDIT: Entertainment Earth has found a clever approach to getting all those unwanted Tico's out of their warehouse. I just came across this and wanted to share:

Last edited by joe_b; 02-06-19 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

A prequel to a prequel?

I'm waiting for Palpatine: The Early Years.
Old 11-08-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I'm all for high quality streaming content. Disney better not be a bunch of bitches and release this streaming service without 4k. I would guess that isn't going to happen, since they own a large part of BAMTech, a spinoff of MLB Advanced Media. Those guys have the streaming stuff down.
Old 11-08-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

it's worth mentioning that the Cassian Andor action figures are perhaps the biggest peg warmers in the history of Star Wars toys. Those things are still clogging up Ollie's Bargain Outlets all over the US.
Originally Posted by TGM
I thought that honor went to Rose?
Eh, she gets a pass because of all the intolerant manbabies who refused to embrace a strong non-caucasion female in their kiddy science fiction franchise. I mean, those Rose figures certainly aren't overflowing clearance bins because the character was poorly written or anything...
“Peg-warming” Star Wars action figures aren’t necessarily a barometer for a character’s popularity. Most of it comes down to Hasbro doing things like repacks, short-packing, under-producing, and over-producing.

The surplus of Jyn and Cassian figures at retail is because Hasbro seemingly over-estimated the popularity of the movie and repacking those characters in various waves of releases.

Long story short, when they release waves of figures, they will either repack previous figures into cases or short-pack certain figures, meaning that retailers would have to buy, say, two Rose Ticos and two re-released Casian Andors in order to get one Chewbacca.
Old 11-08-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I loved all the characters of Rogue One but didn't buy any of the figures since I don't have space (or the budget) to collect Star Wars toys anymore. I did buy the Target exclusive Bluray and I've watched it several times over the past couple years. That love just doesn't translate into merchandise buying anymore for me.

But anyways this is fantastic news. I've never had the interest in the Mandalorians that most other fans do, so the other series is kinda meh for me, but this is a great idea in my book. Rogue One did a great job of showing us the morally grey part of the Rebellion and the show should do the same if they do it right.
Old 11-08-18, 07:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Meh. I generally hate prequel shows/movies. We know not only that Andor dies, but when he dies. So you can put him into a billion dangerous life-threatening scenarios six-way-to-Sunday in this show but we know he survives the peril so where's the suspense in that?
Old 11-08-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

They need Alan Tudyk.

Honestly, I'd have preferred a Rogue One trilogy. Missed opportunity there.
Old 11-09-18, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
So you can put him into a billion dangerous life-threatening scenarios six-way-to-Sunday in this show but we know he survives the peril so where's the suspense in that?
Isn't that pretty much the history of action shows, with very few notable exceptions?
Old 11-09-18, 01:52 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Earlier this week, I saw a Cassian Andor, the one and only Star Wars action figure in the aisle, at CVS for $10.99 and I laughed out loud.
Old 11-09-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Isn't that pretty much the history of action shows, with very few notable exceptions?
Yes, but I think, with actual prequels, there’s a psychological component at play.

I mean, you can watch something like 24 with the full knowledge that Jack Bauer will make it out of whatever jam he’s in intact, or that James Bond will get himself off of the table before he’s cut in half, but your mind still tricks itself into thinking they’re in jeopardy. They can’t kill these characters off because there’s more story to tell, and more movies to be made, but you can still convince yourself that the sense of peril is real.

With a prequel, that psychological component isn’t there.
Old 11-09-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
And pretty much every procedural on TV.
Old 11-09-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Cassian Who?

What the hell is going on over at Lucasfilm? This is the best idea floating around the offices?
Old 11-09-18, 10:34 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Meh. I generally hate prequel shows/movies. We know not only that Andor dies, but when he dies. So you can put him into a billion dangerous life-threatening scenarios six-way-to-Sunday in this show but we know he survives the peril so where's the suspense in that?
In watching how they get out of it.
Old 11-09-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting that neither series focus on the Jedi.

Luke's Jedi academy probably will get a tv series at some point.

I hope this Rogue One series has some of the X-Wing pilots like Wedge.
Old 11-09-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

But hey, at least K2 will likely be back.
Next up, movies for Maz Kanata, Hux, and the Rancor Keeper.

I think Rogue One overall didn't do great merchandise-wise.
Old 11-09-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, but I think, with actual prequels, there’s a psychological component at play.

I mean, you can watch something like 24 with the full knowledge that Jack Bauer will make it out of whatever jam he’s in intact, or that James Bond will get himself off of the table before he’s cut in half, but your mind still tricks itself into thinking they’re in jeopardy. They can’t kill these characters off because there’s more story to tell, and more movies to be made, but you can still convince yourself that the sense of peril is real.

Old 11-09-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To me, it's less the psychological component, because I don't believe for a second that any main character that the movie is named after is going to die. But if I know the end result, it kind of feels like paint by numbers watching someone become who we know he's going to be.
Old 11-09-18, 12:38 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I really liked Rogue One and have watched it multiple times on BluRay, but I don't know what they are thinking picking this prequel material for a TV show. I know when Halloween rolled around and kids came to my house trick or treating as Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, or even Yoda, I don't remember anyone dressed like Cassian from Rogue One?
Old 11-09-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli
I really liked Rogue One and have watched it multiple times on BluRay, but I don't know what they are thinking picking this prequel material for a TV show. I know when Halloween rolled around and kids came to my house trick or treating as Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, or even Yoda, I don't remember anyone dressed like Cassian from Rogue One?
Well, if the character was super popular they'd probably try to do a movie instead of this, which is basically just added sweetener to the subscription.
Old 11-09-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think Rogue One overall didn't do great merchandise-wise.
Kind of a hard sell when the only two characters that carry on are Vader and Leia.
Old 11-09-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

The James Bond comparison is apt, I think, because the suspense and peril isn't just "oh no, will they die this week?" but more like - "what are they going to sacrifice this week to attain their goal?" We alway see Bond rack up a body count, but it's not just enemy grunts, it's also allies that he gets close to and they die and he has to go on living (a bit like Doctor Who too, in that regards).

I think they're on the right track here. It can't be all Jedi and Sith and stormtroopers every week. Rogue One was successful because it showed the "real people" doing things like spy missions and raids.
Old 11-09-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It would be cool if he just happened to bump into Dr. Evazan and Walrusman every week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.