Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S9E05) -- "What Comes After" -- 11/4/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S9E05) -- "What Comes After" -- 11/4/18

I may have missed it when watching the episode, but how did they all know Rick was critically injured and come rushing toward the bridge to save him? Or were they just aware of the zombie herd and came to stop that? But Rick was leading the herd toward and across the bridge. Which means he leading them toward Negan's former sanctuary and away from the other communities so the herd would pose no danger exceptto the sanctuary.

Also, how would Ann know he was critically injured and needed to be saved? She saw be washed up on shore, but how did she automatically know that he had had a major injury and was not just exhausted from swimming in the river rapids to get to the shore?

So it appears they plan to make some movies with Rick Grimes. It would seem no matter har far Rick is taken with the helicopter, he would want to get back to his "family". One possible way around that is that he could end up in a coma again and when he wakes up he has amnesia and doesn't remember anything since waking up from the coma in the first episode.
Old 11-05-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I may have missed it when watching the episode, but how did they all know Rick was critically injured and come rushing toward the bridge to save him? Or were they just aware of the zombie herd and came to stop that? But Rick was leading the herd toward and across the bridge. Which means he leading them toward Negan's former sanctuary and away from the other communities so the herd would pose no danger exceptto the sanctuary.

Also, how would Ann know he was critically injured and needed to be saved? She saw be washed up on shore, but how did she automatically know that he had had a major injury and was not just exhausted from swimming in the river rapids to get to the shore?

So it appears they plan to make some movies with Rick Grimes. It would seem no matter har far Rick is taken with the helicopter, he would want to get back to his "family". One possible way around that is that he could end up in a coma again and when he wakes up he has amnesia and doesn't remember anything since waking up from the coma in the first episode.
After Maggie comes out of Negan's cell and is facing Michonne, I think somebody yells "There's something wrong at the camp!". I think everybody took off for the work camp not knowing what they'd find.

Every time Rick passed out and had a dream there was a voice that says, "What's your wound?". What was that?
Old 11-05-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
After Maggie comes out of Negan's cell and is facing Michonne, I think somebody yells "There's something wrong at the camp!". I think everybody took off for the work camp not knowing what they'd find.

Every time Rick passed out and had a dream there was a voice that says, "What's your wound?". What was that?
I noticed it seemed everyone was dead at the camp, because there were a lot of fresh zombies. But it was never shown what happened to them and with the six year time jump, they may not even have to explain it now.
Old 11-05-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I noticed it seemed everyone was dead at the camp, because there were a lot of fresh zombies. But it was never shown what happened to them and with the six year time jump, they may not even have to explain it now.
I think there was some kind of fight, or shootout at the camp. A group of Saviors showed up at the camp spoiling for a fight. It was led by the guy Carol stabbed. He had a gun, and Carol had a gun, Carol backed down.
When Rick and Daryl were in the pit they heard several gunshots coming from the camp.
They seemed to have skipped over what happened.
Old 11-05-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice homage to the sweeping Battle of Atlanta crane shot scene from Gone with the Wind.

I've enjoyed this season way more than the last couple of seasons.

The actress playing pre-teen Judith seems badly miscast on the few seconds I've seen.
Old 11-05-18, 11:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m all for the movies and wonder if Rick will be taken to a familiar place from the comics.

However, like someone else mentioned, why wouldn’t Rick make his way back to Alexandria by the time the TV show picks back up 6 years later next week.

Is he “dead dead” by then? Still why not make it back say a year later, etc. Wonder how the show will talk about him.
Old 11-05-18, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I am not too thrilled with the preview implying that the show is going to become "Judith Grimes Saves the World" starring a cast of millennials. Nothing will get me to tune out faster than that.
Exact same here.

For me, the whole episode would have been infinitely more powerful if he'd actually died, sacrificed himself and blew up the bridge to save them from a massive horde. Still was cool too see a few "dead" people again, esp. Shane.
Old 11-05-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
The actress playing pre-teen Judith seems badly miscast on the few seconds I've seen.
The character is an eightish-year-old girl who can easily headshot zombies from a hundred yards using a revolver with massive recoil. I'm not sure there is any casting that will make the character less silly.
Old 11-05-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The character is an eightish-year-old girl who can easily headshot zombies from a hundred yards using a revolver with massive recoil. I'm not sure there is any casting that will make the character less silly.
Old 11-05-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw
For me, the whole episode would have been infinitely more powerful if he'd actually died, sacrificed himself and blew up the bridge to save them from a massive horde.
Too bad they did an exceptionally poor job of conveying just what they hell he was trying to accomplish and instead made his departure seem senseless and frankly foolish.

To end up at the bridge choke-point he was leading the horde towards one settlement or another. There are 360 degrees on a compass, and only a couple of them would lead the horde towards a settlement. Avoid those, and then simply ride off ahead of the 1 mph shuffling horde once turned away and slip home to your family and seek medical attention...or die nobly in the effort. Yet he chose not to go with such a simple and obvious solution.

Not sure why given how long they knew this was coming they couldn't come up with something that justified Rick making an ultimate sacrifice. I mean this seriously, this is what these people are being paid a lot of money to do for a living. This isn't written by a bunch of random people pulled out of a checkout line at the grocery store and given two hours to come up with something. Instead Rick looks like he got disappeared as a result of his irrational and pointless behavior.

Lets face it, given the rules of the walkers behavior in the show it would be relatively easy and quite safe exercising some simple precautions to exterminate massive numbers of the undead. I mean, they will shamble for miles in order to walk straight into a giant fire for crying out loud. They paint the horde as a menace, but in truth finding out that they were schooling themselves up would be the best news you could possibly hope for, making tracking and eradicating them fantastically easier.

Of course the show can't have the characters pursue this (need zombies in a zombie show) but there has to be more elegant ways to keep the danger without making the characters behave stupidly.
Old 11-05-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

This was also Lauren Cohan's last episode, at least this season. She hasn't appeared on The Talking Dead at all for this season. There was that rumor that female cast members were refusing to appear on the show with Chris Hardwick. Maybe she was one, or she could be busy shooting her new show. I wonder why Andrew Lincoln couldn't be in studio for Talking Dead and why they didn't just have Hardwick do that interview instead of YNB. Could he not want to appear with Hardwick?

Is Enid going to be an adult now? It would be funny if they recast her.
Old 11-05-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Rick’s Last Episode Was Also Maggie and Lauren Cohan’s"

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...st-episode-905
Old 11-05-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Is Enid going to be an adult now? It would be funny if they recast her.
Has she been around this season yet? If so she was basically invisible. So in effect it would be almost 8 years of timeline since we last saw her. Definitely a great chance to recast since she would now be in her 20s and the actress playing her is unremarkable to put it kindly.
Old 11-05-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I wonder why Andrew Lincoln couldn't be in studio for Talking Dead and why they didn't just have Hardwick do that interview instead of YNB. Could he not want to appear with Hardwick?
Considering he filmed the episode months ago and gave his announcement and goodbye at NYCC last month, I doubt he'd want to fly to LA from the UK just for a 1hr Talking Dead episode. As for Hardwick, probably due to scheduling. YNB is a great superfan but she's a terrible interviewer.
Old 11-05-18, 02:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets face it, given the rules of the walkers behavior in the show it would be relatively easy and quite safe exercising some simple precautions to exterminate massive numbers of the undead. I mean, they will shamble for miles in order to walk straight into a giant fire for crying out loud. They paint the horde as a menace, but in truth finding out that they were schooling themselves up would be the best news you could possibly hope for, making tracking and eradicating them fantastically easier.
This is the huge problem I have with this storyline and similar ones in the past. They devise these elaborate schemes to steer these hordes away, Pied Piper style (that always fail), but they have the numbers -- and enough really good good fighters -- that it should be easier to just go kill the horde off and be done with them for good.

They'll have these scenes where Michonne or Daryl gets in a predicament and kills 20 walkers like its nothing, let we're supposed to believe a group of 200 or so walkers is going to be a challenge for 50 good zombie killers. Hell, a gravely injured Rick managed to evade this horde for hours.
Old 11-05-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Meh. I think my biggest gripe is that we don't know where Rick is going. Sure, we'll learn in time with the movies. But still, it's stupid to have the main character leave the show with literally zero information as to where he is going or who took him.

Also, the time jump was interesting. Looks like we are getting Carl 2.0 with Judith. Excellent.
Old 11-05-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I hope they had a medic on that helicopter. Wouldn't Rick have been near death at that point? How much blood had he lost? I hope they were going somewhere with a surgeon nearby. Also, he'll probably get infected with something from floating in the river with all the zombie guts.
Old 11-05-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So Maggie just disappears for now? I guess that is her way back on the show if the new one gets cancelled.
Old 11-05-18, 03:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Another nice nod to "Night of the Living Dead" with the name on the mailbox of the cabin Rick hid inside. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cardille

So if the time jump at the end was six years ahead, and walkers are still abundant and mobile as ever, I take it the rate of decay of the average human corpse while out in heat and snow for that length of time is solely dependent on series ratings and profitability?

Last edited by parker63; 11-05-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parker63
So if the time jump at the end was six years ahead, and walkers are still abundant and mobile as ever, I take it the rate of decay of the average human body while out in heat and snow for that length of time is solely dependent on series ratings and profitability?
Not to mention they are essentially incapable of replacing their numbers, at least to the extent that they can only "mate" by raping their apex predator in order to reproduce.
Old 11-05-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they had a medic on that helicopter. Wouldn't Rick have been near death at that point? How much blood had he lost? I hope they were going somewhere with a surgeon nearby. Also, he'll probably get infected with something from floating in the river with all the zombie guts.
I think he was shown in the helicopter being supplied with oxygen from a medical tube going into his nostrils, so i'd assume they had some medical capabilities on the helicopter. It could have previously been a Medvac/ shock trauma helicopter before the zombie apocalypse.
Old 11-05-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The first film in the planned trilogy, to premiere on AMC, will explore the “vast mythology” behind the community trading for “A” and “B” people and will be told from Rick’s point of view, Gimple told THR.
Has to be the
Spoiler:
Commonwealth.
Right?
Old 11-05-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing about Rick's equestrian saga made any sense unless you attribute it to massive internal (and external) bleeding.

I am not too thrilled with the preview implying that the show is going to become "Judith Grimes Saves the World" starring a cast of millennials. Nothing will get me to tune out faster than that. It was interesting to glimpse some of the evolving looks of the long term cast though.
I doubt they will focus on Judith being a major player, saving the day all the time. I think the writers put her in that scene because it was the easiest way for them to quicky convey to the audience that they are jumping six years ahead after this episode. Just making Carol's hair longer or having another characters hair turn gray or slightly graying in a scence would not make it as easy to decipher how much time has passed.
Old 11-05-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly don’t see this show surviving without Rick

The preview for the upcoming episodes looked horrible
Old 11-05-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Has to be the
Spoiler:
Commonwealth.
Right?
The idea of separating people into “A”s and “B”s would certainly fit with their M.O.

Especially when Anne referred to Rick as a “B.” Under almost any other estimation, Rick would be a “A” I would think.

In the preview, it also looked like we saw a ham radio...

Spoiler:
which is how Eugene contacted the Commonwealth in the first place, so it looks like TWD proper is going in that direction. Production is adament that Rick will no longer be on TWD proper, so if our crew makes it to the Commonwealth, they won’t find Rick there. I could see Rick taking Mercer’s place in the Commonwealth, but I just can’t see Rick choosing to stay there with Judith and Michonne still in Virginia.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.