TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

A Very Brady Renovation - HGTV

Old 09-10-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: A Very Brady Renovation - HGTV

I wish they would have gone into the origins of the exterior vs. interior of the house when they created the show. Did they pick a house and try to design sets that could potentially go inside that exterior? Or did they they design the sets first and then find a house that matched?

Also, Marcia is still hot.
Old 09-11-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I wish they would have gone into the origins of the exterior vs. interior of the house when they created the show. Did they pick a house and try to design sets that could potentially go inside that exterior? Or did they they design the sets first and then find a house that matched?
Neither. They didn't give a shit as to whether it matched or not. The house was picked in large part because it looked like something an architect would design for himself, or would like enough to buy. They just liked the look of the exterior, and didn't bother to match the interior at all.
Old 09-11-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed the premiere. Glad they are doing mini reveals for each episode. I thought I was going to have to wait until everything was finished.
Old 09-11-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím guessing back when they made the show there wasnít a lot of thought put into the logistics of the actual homeís layout versus the showís layout for it. They probably figured no one would care enough or actually find out the difference for their silly tv show. Iím sure it happens a lot for houses used for exterior shots only.

Also agreed that the actress who played Marcia is still pretty good looking. Jan kind of looks like Florence Henderson and probably the oldest looking of the girls. Cindy has aged quite a bit too for being the youngest. Of the guys I would say Peter looks best. The guy who played Greg looks alright for being oldest. Bobby looks the oldest to me.
Old 09-11-19, 09:49 AM

The only thing I didnít like was when Christopher Knight and the renovation woman were trying to figure out the exterior paint color by using the tablet images.

Depending on the screen calibration of your tablet, tv screen, phone screen, PC monitor, or any other device, youíre going to get different color results for each one.

Old 09-11-19, 11:24 AM

I may have told this story before, but a local radio station's morning show had a bit called "Celebrity Pokeage", where listeners would call in with their best story of sex with someone famous. Best story or best celebrity won tickets or something.

A guy calls in that he was at an LA country/western bar, dancing with a pretty woman named "Mo". They go back to her house, yada yada yada, afterwards they're in her kitchen just talking when suddenly he blurts out "Oh my god you're Marcia Brady"

Needless to say he won the tickets.
Old 09-11-19, 12:21 PM

This was cool, but the constant "we have to get it right or we'll let America down" lines got old real quick.
Old 09-11-19, 12:26 PM

It was odd and kinda surreal to watch the Actors who played these characters interacting in present day. It was sort of like watching a family reunion.
Old 09-11-19, 12:49 PM

Where were Philip and Wally? They could have pitched in too.
Old 09-11-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I may have told this story before, but a local radio station's morning show had a bit called "Celebrity Pokeage", where listeners would call in with their best story of sex with someone famous. Best story or best celebrity won tickets or something.

A guy calls in that he was at an LA country/western bar, dancing with a pretty woman named "Mo". They go back to her house, yada yada yada, afterwards they're in her kitchen just talking when suddenly he blurts out "Oh my god you're Marcia Brady"

Needless to say he won the tickets.
Cool story, but isn't that kind of segment basically encouraging people to make stuff up in order to win something?
Old 09-11-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This was cool, but the constant "we have to get it right or we'll let America down" lines got old real quick.
Yeah, especially because as cool as it is that that this is happening and as iconic as the Bradyís are itís a show from the 70s that doesnít have as much relevance now. Other than people who grew up with it originally or in syndication I donít think a lot of the younger audience will care as much. Even the older crowd might not.

I wonder what the ultimate goal is once itís all completed. Iím guessing HGTV isnít just sinking a ton of money into the house for a show and no other reason. Wonder if itíll be a tourist attraction eventually or what. If so I wonder how happy the neighbors are about that.
Old 09-11-19, 04:24 PM

Mike and Carol weren't the first couple to share a bed on TV. I thought it was The Munsters, but that is wrong too.

The first TV couple to share a bed was not on "The Brady Bunch" or "The Munsters," but was on "The Mary Kay and Johnny" show in 1947. It was the first situation comedy ever.
Old 09-11-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Her post-BB life was quite the...uhhh...story.
Old 09-11-19, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Yeah, especially because as cool as it is that that this is happening and as iconic as the Bradyís are itís a show from the 70s that doesnít have as much relevance now. Other than people who grew up with it originally or in syndication I donít think a lot of the younger audience will care as much. Even the older crowd might not.

I wonder what the ultimate goal is once itís all completed. Iím guessing HGTV isnít just sinking a ton of money into the house for a show and no other reason. Wonder if itíll be a tourist attraction eventually or what. If so I wonder how happy the neighbors are about that.
Huge ratings, so someone cared.
Old 09-11-19, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Cool story, but isn't that kind of segment basically encouraging people to make stuff up in order to win something?
Only if guys lie about sex, and what are the chances of that happening?
Old 09-11-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
I heard that as well.

My first girlfriend looked almost exactly like Marcia (only a few years later). My wife looked like her too about that time, but was into the Farrah Fawcett look (Charlie's Angels vintage) by the time I met her. Coincidence? You're goddam right it wasn't.
Old 09-11-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only if guys lie about sex, and what are the chances of that happening?
Sorry, I was banging my Farrah Fawcett stand-in wife. What was the question?
Old 09-11-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
The only thing I didnít like was when Christopher Knight and the renovation woman were trying to figure out the exterior paint color by using the tablet images.

Depending on the screen calibration of your tablet, tv screen, phone screen, PC monitor, or any other device, youíre going to get different color results for each one.

They did actually mention that, more or less, which is why Christopher went to the wood siding and even took off the porch light to see the real color underneath.
Old 09-12-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

It could turn into the cool disaster that was the Simpsons house.

Home Sweet Homer: The Strange Saga of the Real-Life Simpsons House in Nevada | Mental Floss

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
I actually just finished reading her book, "Here's The Story" and she was a massive cocaine addict in the 70's and 80's that did seem to get around if she wanted some coke.
Old 09-12-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

I actually just finished reading her book, "Here's The Story" and she was a massive cocaine addict in the 70's and 80's that did seem to get around if she wanted some coke.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to...
Old 09-12-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
They did actually mention that, more or less, which is why Christopher went to the wood siding and even took off the porch light to see the real color underneath.
He takes off the front porch light and the wires have already been cut and capped. Don't think that was Christopher's idea after all.

Enjoyed the first episode. It will only be a four-episode series, BTW
Old 09-12-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
He takes off the front porch light and the wires have already been cut and capped. Don't think that was Christopher's idea after all.
Wait, are you telling me that reality TV isn't really real???

Old 09-12-19, 01:46 PM

I missed the premiere the other day but there's a re-air over the weekend that is showing in the guide as an 'extended' 90-minute episode. I assume the premiere was 60 min?
Old 09-12-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I missed the premiere the other day but there's a re-air over the weekend that is showing in the guide as an 'extended' 90-minute episode. I assume the premiere was 60 min?
No it was 90 min. 90 fun, enjoyable min.
Old 09-14-19, 04:22 AM

this was fantastic, loved every minute...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.